Thread: how did your second labour start?

Default how did your second labour start?

How did your second or subsequent labour start? Was it the same as the first time? Did you find it easier to recognize the second time?

I got induced the first time so I had nothing to compare with, as I didn't know what starting labour naturally was like. As it happened I needed drugs to kick start 2nd labour as well - My hindwaters broke at about 3 in the morning, I went back to bed until about 6, nothing was happening only mild cramps which disappeared after a while, I went up to the hospital at about 1pm and the OB told me that since it was close to 12 hours since my waters broke there was a risk of infection, especially in the humid weather. As Grace was showing no signs of wanting to appear I agreed to have the drip put in, and it was after that that things happened. So for me it was waters broke, but no natural start to contractions - however I didn't feel bad about it because I agreed with the OB to use synto, so it became my choice, and I felt more in control.

Bon

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

With Shay, I got my show at about 3.30am and regular contractions by about 10am. I went into hospital, was told I was 2 cm so I opted to go to a friend's house. By 3.30pm the contractions were much worse so she took me back to the hospital, where XH met us. I was 4 cm dilated. We had Shay at 11.24pm that night.

With Zaki, I'd been getting regular BH everyday for two weeks prior to his due date from 3pm to 8pm, then they would stop. On his due date, they didn't stop at 8pm. At 12.00am, I got my show, and by 12.30am, the pressure on my bottom was getting intense, and I felt like pooing. I called the birth centre and was instructed to go straight in. The contractions were 5 mins apart. I woke XH and we headed off to the hospital, and Zaki arrived 3 hours later. The pain was only really bad for the last hour and a half!

HTH!

love
    sushee

I got induced both times and recongised the early labour pains straight away the 2nd time around

Love

Erin's arrival was different to Lindsay's. With Lindsay, I had a show first, then contractions several hours later gradually getting closer together etc. With Erin, she was already 4 days late so we BD'd and BAM!! contractions literally started straight away!! and were 5mins apart straight away, so definately could tell when labour started second time.

They were completely different labours, but I knew it was getting serious and insisted on getting to the hospital even though I'd had no show or waters break or done the bowel empty out that the midwives like to ask about. I didn't get the show or waters break untill I was ready to push Angus out so I was glad I listened to my instincts.

My first labour started naturally and went for 20 hours ending in a vac. extraction. I was two weeks overdue but babe wasn't "overcooked". Public patient.

My second labour was also 2 weeks overdue but I was induced (2 applications of hormones on the cervix: 8.30am and 4pm) by my private ob. Also a 20 hour labour. Also no symptoms of being "overcooked".

Hoping for an easier time of it this time!

first i had a show too but not with my second

i can only describe my second as the fast and the furious.

beckles

My 2 were opposites! the first I had a contraction and they continued and I had DD 12 hours later. They started off painful, but not too bad. My waters never broke either. DD2 waters broke and then nothing for 12 hours, when all of a sudden I got strongest contraction I have EVER felt and baby was born 1 hour and 54 mins later!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Both started spontaneously and in the same way in terms of build up, but second time around I was more sure as I recognised the feeling and rhythm.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I was afraid that I wasn't going to recognize labour the second time around either. With my first, I woke up at 6:30, and felt the first contraction and KNEW it was the real thing. I had some show, and my contractions were five minutes apart from the start. My water broke two hours later as we were on our way out the door. We got to the hospital at 9:30, and Elyse was born 4 hours later, after about an hour of pushing. With Marieke, I had a few days of Braxton Hicks contractions, before waking up at 1:30 Sunday morning and having to go to the bathroom (surprise, surprise) and noticing the show. I felt the first contraction a few minutes later - and knew it was the real thing, because it felt like it was "doing something", not like the BH. We got to the hospital around 3:30, and things progressed slowly (I thought - I was afraid it would be so fast we wouldn't get to the hospital on time, since Elyse only took 7 hours, from start to finish). The doctor broke my water for me at 8:00, and Marieke was born by 8:45. (much less pushing, by the way O Only about 10 minutes.) I hope everything goes well for you!

bruky Guest

Well with my first I went into labour by myself but the pains werent too bad (they never really hurt that much just a backache) and they stopped when I got to hospital since I was going to be induced the next day anyway they decided to break my waters, i was in full on labour within 20 minutes and had an epidural followed by vac and forceps and an episiotomy...so I had no idea what it was like to go into labour naturally and slowly

With my son I had irregular pains on the friday and sat up all night waiting for something to happen, they never went away just irregular by Sunday morning they were very painful so off we went to the hospital to be told I was only 2cms and we were left alone in the room until 7am when a new midwife walked in and my son was born at 7.05am.

Two very different experiences but the second time was easily recognisable that they were in fact labour pains...this time round I have a little more confidence in my body to let me know whats happening but in saying that who really knows???