Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How much does labour REALLY hurt?

yeah I guess I did it for the same reason Michelle, so DH would know, and he did such a fantastic job, I'm sure its because I told him beforehand

Scarlett Guest

We had to make a special appointment with a midwife at 36wks to write a birthplan - they insisted. When it came to it, I don't think they had even read it as several things were disregarded.

*Yvette* Guest

I absolutely recommend doing a birth plan, as detailed as possible. Mine includes things like wanting the cord to stop pumping before they clamp/cut it, wanting quiet voices, wanting baby given to me immediately & attended to while with me, and lots of suggestions of how those present can help me.

It doesn't always go to plan, but is well worth having. DH didn't ring anyone he was supposed to ring & forgot the food, but midwife followed it to the letter (and this was in a public hospital). She reassured me at crowning & used warm wash cloth, suctioned Angus while he was on my chest, every detail she had quite obviously taken note of.

I had detailed plans for the 2 homebirths too. It's a great way to get you to think about all the possibilities & how you would like to handle them, even what to do in case of C-section.

Will start a new thread today especially for birth plans. My current one is a work in progress til the time comes.

belmarks Guest

Yvette, mine was pretty much what you have just stated above, that I wanted the cord to stop pumping before they clamp and that the baby should come to me straight away if nothing is wrong so that we can have those first few moments of bonding etc.

Ok so it is good to have a birth plan then, I just assumed it was for your own and your partners benefit, just so if you weren't able to communicate your wishes at the time, that your partner would know what you had ideally wanted. I will keep adding to mine though, like the lights dimmed and quiet room etc, thanks for that advice whoever offered that and various other things that I think about along the way.

Any other suggestions from anyone that's been through it?

The warm washer when the baby is crowning sounds like a good idea, also, I was told by a friend that she took in a water squirter, you know like the ones you wet your hair with, and got the doctor/midwife to spray down there when the head was crowning, she said it was the ultimate relief. She also used it post birth when she had to do a wee and it was stinging....

I didn't write a birth plan but I made sure that DH and I had chatted about various things to do with labour. I also told him that I could very well change my mind once I got in there.

For example, I definitely didn't want pethindine, I would go straight for the epidural. I also wanted oils burning and music playing, basically go with the flow and the midwives were very accomodating.

Also being clear about visitors, not only after birth but also during labour, I didn't want anyone visiting but they let my MIL in! I was quite annoyed as I only wanted DH and midwife there. Found it really hard with her talking all the time and that's what she did - talked about crap. DH knew what I was feeling and gave her a job (went and checked on our pets) and then told her to shut up when she come back.

Also find out if they have students at the hosptial so you don't get a shock when you go in. My hospital was a training hosptial for nurses and midwives so if you don't want them then make sure they know about it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234