thread: How would you describe a contraction

May 2011

thanks so much girls! its really good to get an idea on others perceptions.... I always thought it would be a feeling in your vagina like it was tearing open or something... but sounds like its mostly pain in the stomach area...

Jul 2008
    Melbourne

when the baby's head crowns it was a burning, stinging pain for me but it was over faster & the end was really in sight so easier to manage imo.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Jul 2010
    Canberra

Like a vice - one clamping down on your uterus, one on your back. I felt most of them in my back, yay!

Pushing contractions are a relief.

Not long now SB!

May 2008
    Gtown

How would you describe a contraction

Ooo yea the pushing pain is a different kettle of fish! With your first it is what I call the ring of fire...head goes out and retracts back in so many times I thought I was split in half....lol.... But it's pain that's worth it and I've gone back two more times :-) at least with more babies you never get that again as everything is stretched already :-0

May 2011

QUOTE=PumpkinZulu;3137255]Prelabour - period pain and back ache. My stomach would get hard.

Labour before my water broke - exactly as Teirae described. A balloon swelling in my uterus, accompanied with period pain low down, and some pain in my back too. Would last for a minute to 90 seconds, then trailed off.

Labour after my water broke - the balloon was made out of razor wire. As well as small midgets slicing through my stomach, with fists made of spikes Contractions lasted 1-2 minutes, until they came without a break. Pushing was an amazing relief and the pain of the contractions all but disappeared, instead it was in my bagina and bum.

I 100% believe being in water would have made my pain more manageable. I ended up being able to breathe well enough through them, but going do quickly from a lovely manageable early labour to intense pain after my water broke was a shock lol! And I have a high pain tolerance![/QUOTE]

wow ok... so now your scaring me.....

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

Read the birth story in my sig hun It was amazing. I had meconium stained waters so my body was working hard to get bub out, and my whole labour was only 6 hours. Honestly, you forget the pain as soon as the baby is out. And I found a zone where, by the end, I was so high off of the hormones, that I was nearly sleeping. First thing I said was that I couldn't wait to do it again, and I will be in December

Jul 2009
    Australia

Crowning is the only pain i experienced in my vagina. Pushing was awesome relief!!

You will be fine, the pain is well worth it!

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

You can read my birth story too. it wasnt scary at all it is intense and every fibre of you is involved.

Also.. Yea.. Burning ring of fire - exactly what it says on the tin! (but my girl was rotating whilst crowning so im putting it down to that and maybe shouldnt have been that bad)

sent via my vortex manipulator!

Mar 2007

You'll be fine Silver Bell. It's really not so bad! It is nothing you can't handle. And it is definitely all worth it. I didn't even hardly get the ring of fire thing everyone talks about.

Jan 2011
    Perth

My pain was mostly in my bottom even though babe wasn't breech.

Jul 2008
    Melbourne

you're going to be fine silverbell i think what this thread shows is that people all have different birthing experiences.

and i never believed my mum when she said she forgot the pain soon afterwards but it's true. actually, right after i had my dd i wanted to high 5 someone

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Jul 2005
    Sydney

A big giant internal squeeze. Very hard to describe. It was really hard work, not what I'd describe as painful. Just all my muscles working intensely together. I had contractions at various times during the week leading up to labour and they felt like sharp catches low in my pelvis, but I mistook them for the baby moving and putting pressure on the area.

Early labour contractions were there but different.

Pushing was incredibly hard work! I gave myself a sore throat with the noise I made, and thank goodness for the birth pool, only my inside muscles were tired and recovering afterwards. Not my knees and legs.

I didn't find them anything like period pain! Everyone is different but we are all made to give birth.

Jul 2010
    Canberra

Agreed!

Plus, it's pain with a purpose. Your body just does it, amazing!

Sep 2011
    Melbourne

If uve never had period pains (I didn't so didn't know what it meant), I describe it as that feeling that I get when I've held my pee for WAAAY TOO LONG Til the lower part of my abdomen hurts like a deep stingy hurt. And then it starts cramping a bit. At some point lower back pain & feel like as PZ said a balloon swelling in you. After that I was so in an unknown zone next thing I knew LO is crowning.

Have a great birth! Know that you're strong enough to do this & believe it. If all fails just concentrate on deep breathing.

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk.(Occasional fat fingers syndrome might occur)

Oct 2008
    Victoria

Don't be scared Silver Bell, every woman is different and every birth is different. With my second I didn't even get that ring of fire feeling, and the contractions were not as painful as my first, I was pleasantly surprised!

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

Also, fear creates adrenaline, which creates pain. So being relaxed and calm is key! The times in my labour I was afraid were very painful. The times I was relaxed and confident, I managed without making much noise

Jul 2005
    Sydney

Oh yeah, I never had the ring of fire either. I got a brief bit of pain as she was crowning right at the front of my labia as I was leaning forward, it passed quite quickly. Her head came out slowly in a couple of contractions. (I didn't tear).

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Aug 2010
    Over the hills and far away

I had really bad bh the week before my labour, and I reckon they were worse coz there wasn't a baby at the end of them.

Was a lot like period pain for the first part. Then once I was over 8cm dilated it felt like my insides were being torn apart. I think the hardest thing was the loss of control over my own body.

But the pushing part is correct, in that the contractions feel less intense and you feel as though you're getting somewhere. Plus you have some control in pushing.

I get the burning ring of fire. But only went for like 20secs whilst his head was coming out then it was gone. And its the only time I screamed throughout my whole labour. Luckily I didn't have to deal with the in and out business. Pushing stage only went for like 20mins, and I can tell you I was pushing with all might lol. Plus he was 9lbs 6oz and I tore, but I'm not going anymore into that.

Sent from HTC wildfire using TAPATALK, so forgive any spelling errors its a small keyboard.