Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HypnoBirthing

Default HypnoBirthing

Well we had our first day of the course yesterday and I am soooooooo excited. I feel soooo empowered and much more confident than I already was about the birth of this little man.

Just wondering if there are any other prior or potential hypnobirther's out there? I would love to chat about it!

My HypnoBirthing Instructor is Di Gardner, those who went to the BellyBelly event may remember a talk she gave. And whilst I was thoroughly impressed with her talk she's even more impressive in person!

We learnt some really great breathing/relaxation techniques, along with watching some really inspiring birthing videos. It was so amazing to watch women give birth so calmly and completely in control. We talked alot about empowering us in labour and how support is really important, the importance of the fathers/other support person's role are and what rights we have as patients. I'm really lucky that my Ob really supports HypnoBirthing, but I'm going to make sure I make my preferences made clear to the hospital staff too.

I'm currently reading "HypnoBirthing - The Mongan Method" Along with "25 ways to awaken your birth Power" and they are both fantastic books.

I can't wait till my next class as we will be doing the practice birth

I'll keep you posted on our second class, and in about 12-14 weeks our HypnoBirthing experience.

Hopefully there's some more hypnobirther's out there

*hugs*
    Cailin

Hi Cailin

We are not quite there yet, actually I feel a bit silly being in this forum... as I am not even pregnant yet but I would call me a 'potential hypnobirther'. It's kind of early days though as I'm still learning about charting but giving birth has definetely been on my mind. I am certainly interested in hypnobirthing, and looking for anything that will empower me! I need all the confidence I can get. 8-[

Your experience sound fantastic! And I might just follow your lead and see if I can find those books to read.

I would love to hear about your next class too and hear from any experienced hypnobirthers.

Yes i am definatly going to be doing this next time.

Glad you found it to be good.

Sal Guest

I'm currently doing the hypbirth program (DVD and CDs kit that I bought from the US). Was easier to do at home, what with living so regionally, plus turned out cheaper than classes.

Tiggy (Tiff) is actually a qualified hypnobirthing practitioner, although she might have a bit on her plate at the moment, what with having twins just last week.

I'm a very strong believer in the power of the mind to alter how we experience sensations (eg labour 'pain'). The only thing is that one in five adults are not hypnotisable at all, and only 10% are highly hypnotisable, the rest of us being somewhere in between. I wish I was in that 10%, but am worried that I am not hypnotisable. Oh well, I'll find out at the birth, huh?!?!?

Hey guys

I AM a Hypnobirther!!! I had hendrix in June and had completed the hypnobirthing course in Bondi Junction Sydney with my DH. Everything went so much to plan that the birth was the best experience of my life. Even as i type this now i feel overwhelmed with the strongest emotions and not one sense of negativity. Our labour was 4.5 hours with Hendrix born in the birthing pool as planned with no tearing. I really enjoyed practising my sessions prior to the birth and towards the end would visualise the opening of the cervix and the desent of my baby. I really believe that this is why when we arrived at the hospital after labouring for only 2 hours that i was 8cm dilated.

Also hendrix was breech a few weeks prior and i used the method to imagine him turning which he did!!

If anyone wants to ask any questions. please feel free

Just wanted to add that i also felt ready to have Hendrix prior to his EDD due to me having no fear whatsoever and i would visulise going into labour and did 2 weeks earlier than Hendrix was due.

cazoraz Guest

A friend of mine did hypnobirthing with Di and said she was wonderful! She attended her birth and kept her focused the whole time. My friend had an induced labour that lasted 26hrs but she said the hypnobirthing worked great and didnt feel pain at all!

Good luck
    xxxCaz

wow Caz, I'm so impressed by your friend's birth story. Usually induction is the first step of a whole heap of intervention so its great to hear of someone who had a natural birth despite induction. The power of the mind is really astounding isn't it.

cazoraz Guest

I am very proud of her, they had been trying to induce her for weeks due to high BP (but no other PE symptms) but she kept fighting for the birth she wanted. In the end she relented and let them induce her with gel but refused the syntocin and just walked, rocked etc.

She said she was starting to lose her focus and feel pain until Di arrived and settled her down again, then she loved every minute of it! Lucky girl!

xxxCaz

wens Guest

Default hypnobirth

hi am very interested in hypobirthing ....am booked in to do the first class in the second week of jan and cant wait!!!!! =D> =D>
    was wanting to hypnobirth for my last preg but no one around doing it and had to travel to melb... ](*,) now finally geelong has hypnobirthing! \/
    im also looking into homebirth as this is my second VBAC...
    good luck with the hypnobirthing sessions!!!!!!!
    wendy

Mika24 Guest

Hello

I am twoce a hypnobirther now! Both times I had a lovely, straightforward birth with no real pain and no need for drugs. I found hypnobirthing fairly easy to learn and put into practice. In my opinion anyone can do it and would be mad not to!

Would love to hear how you all get on

Mel

PS Wendy - this is Mel from down the road! O

Hi guys, Just moving these to here so we can keep it all in one thread! Feel free to continue on your hypnobirthing discussion here!

Thanks!

__________________________________________________ __________

Sal

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:00 am Post subject: Hypnobirthing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi girls, I am not pg (I wish!) I am TTC at the mome. However, I have always thought that I'd want to do hypnobirthing. Has anyone out there done the course, or had a hypnobirth?
    __________________________________________________ _________

min

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:55 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sleebly, I have heard this term before, but have no idea what it is, can you please explain it to me?

DH - Christopher
    DS - Jackson Levi Llewllyn

Sal

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:02 pm Post subject:

Hi Min, it is essentially learning self-hypnosis and relaxation techniques. I have seen some amazing things about people being hypnotised and then having operations and root canals without any anaesthesia whatsoever. In particular, one woman had her appendix out (not keyhole surgery, the whole big op) and then sat up and walked out of the operating room.

Pain really is in the mind. The more I read about the connection between psychological state and reported sensation of pain, the more I am convinced that one can be in a state of mind to feel no (or little) pain. You still 'feel' what's going on, but it doesn't register as pain. So you can see how it might be great for childbirth!

min

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:22 pm Post subject:

OMG. I dont think I could do that, I will be having every drug I am allowed to have!

i hope it works for you though!

DH - Christopher
    DS - Jackson Levi Llewllyn

Barley1

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:00 pm Post subject:

A very close friend of mine in Seattle had planned & studied Hypnobirthing when she first fell pg. She knew eactly what she was going to do, went into labour, laboured painfully for 18 hours & ended up with an Emergency Ceaser!!!
    She went the optred Ceaser next time too?
    It would be great to hear from someone whom has actually done it without pain????

Sal

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:23 pm Post subject:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, that's what I want to know! It's one thing for the theory to sound great, but another for it actually to WORK.

Brookey

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:20 pm Post subject:

im doing this

Have read a few stories on other pregnancy forums and it does work for those people! there are websites on hypnobirthing which obviously your not allowed to paste here, so google it if your interested

Sounds great and i am hoping i can do this! Either totally natural or like min - every drug allowed! one or the other.

Thought id definitely try ala naturale' first.

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:48 am Post subject:

Just had a look on google and the likes looks loke a good book i found on amazon about it. HypnoBirthing: A Celebration of Life by Marie F. Mongan
    Look interest, I might go out and buy it for Nea to have a look at to see if helps her...Never know your luck.

Rob
    http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/n/nathanieljaymes/

Jenn

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:06 am Post subject:

After reading your post Sleebly I googled it last night and I think it looks great I'm going to give it a try I think. There is one guy in Melb where you can go for a free 1/2 hour meeting with him to see what you think of it. Hummmm now I just have to try to convince DH

Jen
    xoxo

mc 20/8/04

12-8-05 Maddison Ann
    Mika24

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:07 pm Post subject:

Hello

I have had 2 hypnobirths, and yes, the labours were without pain! (And no drugs)

With my first labour took 18 hours and with my second (only 3 weeks ago) it was just over 7 hours. Both times I listened to Hypnobirthing cd's throughout the labours, and both times I used the batht o help me relax.

I found hypnobirthing actually very easy to aplpy to myself during labour. I think it helped that my labour companions also understood it and helped me concentrate on relaxing and slowing down my breathing. During both labours the reason I did not get drugs was becuase at no point did it occur tome that I might need them.

I hope this inspires anyone considering hypnobirthing. I had two of the most positive experiences and just know that other women could have the same types of labour experiences, so I want to spread the word!

Mel

BellyBelly
    Site Owner/Admin

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:59 pm Post subject:

Don't forget when you are looking for a HypnoBirthing Teacher that they are registered with the HypnoBirthing(r) as some are practicing as HypnoBirthers without the actual training. The real hypnobirthing is capital H for Hypno and capital B for birthing, with a registered symbol at the end (r)

Kelly Zantey
    Owner, BellyBelly & Toys4Tikes & Birth Attendant
    BellyBelly Birth Support
    Thought for the Month: Once upon a time, births used to cluster when it was a full moon or a new moon. Nowadays, they cluster on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Mika24

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:32 pm Post subject:

Hello

the main guy in Australia who has trained all the registered HypnoBirthers has just started his own programme called CalmBirth. It is basically the same thing but tailored for an Australian audience.

Basically if Peter Jackson has been involved in the training of the practitioner then you can be assured that they are well trained. If they are with another programme then I cannot personally reccomend them and would tend to be a bit wary. This is only my personal opinion, formed through doing the course twice and throgh a good friend having met Peter Jackson and trained to become a HypnoBirther as a result. She is planning to train in CalmBirthing next year.

Hope this helps

Mel

kathma Guest

Default HypnoBirthing

Hi everyone, it is interesting reading about your experiences with HypnoBirthing. I am a midwife and a HypnoBirthing practitioner and found out about HypnoBirthing approx. 2 years ago through a mum who was looking for a method that could help her achieve a natural birth without the use of drugs. Prior this I had always believed that pain was part of the process and that women worked with it in different ways. I noticed that the women who were confident in their ability to birth their babies seemed to be more relaxed and generally had quicker, less uncomfortable labours. Second time mums typically had quicker easier labours and births (probably because they knew what to expect and weren't so apprehensive). On the other hand women who were anxious or fearful as labour progressed seemed to struggle much more in labour and generally needed more drugs to get through.
    Through my studies with the HypnoBirthing technique so much of what I had witnessed started to make sense and it has really changed my view on labour and birth. I now know for a fact that fear = tension =pain in labour . The reason for this is that in our society from a young age, we are exposed to a view on birthing (through TV, Movies and what we hear eg horror stories about births) that is generally pretty negative. The message usually tells us that birth is painful. What this creates in our bodies as we approach labour and birth are increases of stress hormones called catecholamines. These chemicals are responsible for the 'fight or flight response' which is a primitive survival response that we all have. What it does is it constricts the blood vessels and pushes blood away from the 'non essential' areas of the body, to the areas that the body will use to help it stand and fight, or run away. Infact, 400 times the usual amount of blood is pumped to the arms and legs and other vital areas. Unfortunately for us when we are in labour, it means that alot of blood no longer gets to the uterus. The uterus is a big muscle. All muscles need blood, which carries oxygen, to function efficiently. When a muscle doesn't get enough oxygen and blood it becomes painful (for example the heart doesn't usually cause us pain when blood is flowing as it should. When you have a heart attack you get pain because the blood is not getting to it).
    Well to cut a long story short!!!! HypnoBirthing teaches women how to decrease anxieties leading up to their birth, therefore decreasing the stress response, which inturn makes birthing less uncomfortable.
    You learn relaxation and breathing techniques and how to stay focused.
    As you can tell, I am a big believer in this technique and could go on and on about it. As a midwife it has changed my whole approach to how I work with women. Cheers, Kath.

Marcia Guest

Hi, I'm not pregnant yet, but am very interested in this. Does anyone know of any HypnoBirthing classes in Adelaide, or SA in general. I have had a bit of a google, but can't seem to find anything.

Marcia, I am in Adelaide too, and had Kelly (BellyBelly) search and search for me to see if there was any option for HypnoBirthing in Adelaide, adn sadly we came up with nothing. (This was in about Feb, so it may have changed since.)

So at this stage, sadly, I don't think there is. (I wish there was....I am expecting my third and last and would have LOVED to do Hypnobirthing.)

We have our first home hypnobirthing class tomorrow! YAY!

Marcia, goodluck finding something in SA. I'm in Canberra so no help at all! But I do definitely recommend it.

I know my workshop helped me greatly during labour, and in other areas of life too.

Christy,

Where in QLD are you? I don't know where to start looking for this. It all sounds really interesting and I wouldn't mind having a look into this. My friend is also due in a couple of months and I think she'd be interested also.

Thanks,

Cass

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast