Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am scared stiff of going into spontaneous Labour!

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Default I am scared stiff of going into spontaneous Labour!

OK I know this sounds like a really bizarre thought, but I am currently TTC for No 3 and the only thing concerning me this time around is going in spontaneous Labour!

I had such a horrible experience with natural contractions ie: they were far more intense, often and longer than my induced labour.

I would really like to aim for an active birth with No 3, but I would have to remain (or should) monitored and therefore pretty much stuck on the bed if I was to be induced. When I was induced with No 2 I was able to stand next to the bed, but couldn't go to far due to the fetal monitoring.

I am so scared of having a repeat performance of No 1 and being in Labour for soooooo many hours after having a 4 hour labour after being induced. I know there are lots of added risks when being induced, but I just can't go through another really long labour.

What was your experience with subsequent labours? ie how long was your first then how long was your second?

Tigergirl1980 Guest

First labours are usually longer than subsequent labours. It's inderstandable that you would be scared of another long labour but just fight your mind to have the birth that you want, try not to let your fear take over.

Having experienced two spontaneous and one augmented, I would prefer to have my 12 and 8 hour labours (for #1 and #2) than the 4.5hrs of tourture I had with a syncto induced third labour. I felt more in control of my body with the first two and despite being longer births, I felt I could work with my body more. During my third birth, I had my body producing it's own contractions, plus the syncto inducing them, so it was absolute torture for me.

I think that you will be pleasantly surprised this time round and having had experience with your previous two, you will know even more this time around and be better equiped to handle them. Even though an un augmented birth can take longer sometimes, your body is doing it at it's own pace which is better for you and the baby. Plus the level of monitoring will be less and you will be able to have the freedom to move around and this in itself can help a great deal in speeding up the arrival.

HTH.

It is not even so much the length that is worrying me, the actual intensity of my contractions with no intervention at all is what has me the most concerned - They were so much worse than the artificial ones created by the drip.

I suppose our bodies all have their own way of doing things. I found the syncto contractions a lot more intense than natural ones. Have you looked into hypnobirthing and other methods to help you cope with them?

No I haven't yet, but don't worry I will be when it happens!!! LOL Anything to help! I am going to have a big chat with my Obs when I get a BFP too, he is really good at giving it to me straight!

jade21887 Guest

Definately talk to your OB. They can keep your concerns in mind and help keep you comfortable.

Relle, check out these articles on the main site - they will give you heaps of ideas for your next pg;

Pain in Labour - Your hormones are your helpers
    Hypnobirthing
    Birth Plans - are they worth it?
    Birth Books - recommended reading for birth

Thanks Sherie, will do. I have actually started to get the books that are listed, I have tracked down a copy of New Active Birth, and am waiting on 3 more that are on order, so I will well and truly have my head in the books when they come!.

Relle,

Olivia was "au natrel" and Charlie was induced.........B3 will be via spontanious labour, so I shall let you know in a about a month my comparisons........LOL!

Either way, read up, relax up, get a load of birth preparation done, have confidence in your body, and you'll embrace it all, promise.

Aw thanks Lucy!!! As you know from my other posts, I was really really moved by the whole positive experience with No 2 and I just want to be able to replicate that experience and not go backwards.

But after doing more research I know that the safer option is to let nature takes its course and let my body do it in it's own time.

mooshie Guest

relle i have had 3 different

first - waters broke (no contractions) ob then induced me via drip - contractions were intense and hell from about the moment he got the drip going until dd was born 13hrs and forceps delivery later.

second - spontaneous labour, starting with a show at 13 days overdue, then contractions starting, waters broke of their own accord 15 mins before ds was born - total labour was 7hrs

third - ob induced me as i was overdue, i was already 1cm dilated (but was not having contractions previously) i was induced with 1ml of gel, contractions started around 3hrs after gel was inserted, dd was born 1hr later (in all honesty i only had around a dozen bad omg don't talk to me contractions)lol

so just shows that it can be all different. good luck and i hope you get your bfp soon and can discuss your options with your ob

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Relle, just wondering if you have a different perspective now? LOL
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Kelly, aren't you clever bringing that one back up! heheheheheeh

Yes I have a very different view now, however I do still maintain the contractions via spontaneous were still more intense, but gees after a 90 min labour I am not going to complain!!!

I can say not only spontaneous, but a "natural" labour!!!!

But it was all worth it, every minute of it to get the cool, calm little man I now have!!!!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I'm cleaning out the forums thats all, then I saw this and wet myself laughing

Short labours can be very intense tho You did great!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

90 min labour I am not going to complain
    In best Oliver Twist voice: "Can I have one of those too please, sir?" LOL!!!

LOL Kel, I must admit it is ironic isn't it! here I was worried about a long labour all of the time, and that was the least of my concerns in the end. Closer babysitters would have been good!

Rory - yeah I never thought I would be "one of those lucky ones! "lol

Oh Relle.........90 minutes........and what a gorgeous little man popped out. You are a legend, you really are. I cannot wait to read your birth story!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast