Thread: I close them

Red face I close them

With all my babies when I am in labour and get to the pushing stage I actually jam my legs shut.:eek: And I mean jam. them. shut.

I cant help it, so the poor midwives while trying to deliver my baby are also prying my legs apart, lol. I REALLY dont want to do it this time, and am wondering if this happens to anyone else (probably not) and if anybody knows why I do it.

By the way, the reason why I'm asking is because it is actually quite hard to push a baby out when your legs are shut.

God, I wish I could have crossed them LOL. Maybe it is to do with the way you strain the muscles in your legs while you are pushing?

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Maybe a squatting position would help to combat this, have you tried that with any of your other pregnancies?

No it was before I discovered BB so I had never thought of any other birthing positions than laying on the bed. I have a question about squatting though, Bec. What happens if you get the shakes? Can your legs still support you?

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Hmmmmm, I'm not sure, holding onto the bed or DH for support? Kel might help with this one. Maybe a kneeling position?

Quote Originally Posted by rayla72
    With all my babies when I am in labour and get to the pushing stage I actually jam my legs shut.:eek: And I mean jam. them. shut.

I cant help it, so the poor midwives while trying to deliver my baby are also prying my legs apart, lol. I REALLY dont want to do it this time, and am wondering if this happens to anyone else (probably not) and if anybody knows why I do it.

By the way, the reason why I'm asking is because it is actually quite hard to push a baby out when your legs are shut.

Natalie

It's a bit late to jam them shut now, should have thought of that 9 months ago, but remember it for afterwards

seriously though, it's probably some involuntary act of tensing all your muscles to push as hard as you can, the thing is finding an alternative pushing position that doesn't make you do this isn't that easy to practice, and you'll probably not be caring too much when the time comes either. Maybe when you go in you could forewarn the midwife and see what she suggests, see if she can be ready with some suggestions for when the time comes.

Lets face it, pushing them out is hard enough work wothout having your thighs welded together too:eek:

Good luck with it.

Taz

What happens if you get the shakes? Can your legs still support you?
    I did a stand/squat thing.....v,undignified, but I also held onto DH & a midwife, and I did get the leg shakes, but it was actually a bit exhilirating (I am wierd, I know!) and my legs seemed to get stronger, if that makes sense? Huge adrenalin rush..........

OOOh Nat, please try the squatting possie & let me know how you go, coz I have felt happy & comfu enough birthing laying on the bed & so planned to be on my feet with Indah but I just happened to be getting on bed to be checked when whoosh my waters broke!!!
    But I find my legs so wide apart I can scratch behind my ears with my big toes at the same time!!!!! HEE HEE!!!!

Natalie, I shut my legs when I was in labour with Joel. I still remember the midwife and mum pulling my legs apart saying that it was too late to shut them now I think the whole thing with closing your legs is that you know it's going to hurt so if you shut them you don't have to do it??? KWIM, atleast I think that's what the thought was going through my head.

When I had Tehya I was sitting up in the pool and had my legs apart, I was pulling on the tops of my thighs, if that makes sense?? I found this a great help when pushing her out.

Goodluck sweety, not much longer to go now

I didn't chut my legs as such but I know when I was up on the bed, with my back to everyone & trying to push that way, as much I had the urge too I just couldn't put all my effort into it. I could feel myself tucking my tail inbetween my legs. I think I was just so worried about pooing on everyone! I had to trun around. This time I think I would like to either squat (although I think I will ahve the same problem with being worried of pooing) or on my side. If I can the bath would also be a nice option but that would be putting me in the same possie I was for the first two, just in water.