Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: I have a Dilemma!!!

  1. #1
    allyfield Guest

    Default I have a Dilemma!!!

    My son was overdue so I was induced and ended up having an emergency c-section, because of brow presentation, fetal distress and placenta was starting to shut down.

    Now pregnant and nearly due with our second baby my OB wasme to try a VBAC. The dilemma we have is:

    1.We have no family where we live to look after our son while my husband works and my only friend is coming to the hospital with us to look after our son.
    2.My husband is only casual where he works and can not take time off work to mind our son while I am in hospital which will be for 5 days as I am going private. He works to a roster so he has to work by his roster or he does not get paid.
    3.My husband has his 8 day break from the 6th october - 13th october. I was going to call my OB and ask him to do another c-section in that break but I will only be 37 weeks and 3 days pregnant (is this too early) (my family can come up the day he goes back to work to help me for 2 weeks). Who's to say I go naturally and end up having another c-section anyway.



    Should I call my OB on Monday and mention this too him (he knows we have no family up here) because my next appointment is on the 5th october and I do not want to leave it till then to tell him I would like to have another c-section. I have mentioned this to him before but he keeps saying wait till we get a little closer things could change but I do not want to leave it too late to mention it to him because he probably won't do it till the week after.

    Some suggestions would be great.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sydney's Norwest
    Posts
    4,954

    Default

    Ally, Is there any reason why your family can't come to watch you son while you are in hospital after bubs birth if they can come up to help you out if you have a c section??

    Personally, yes I think 37 weeks is too early for a c section and I don't think your OB wil be happy to do it that early. Although I guess you are paying him.. Also, even though you are private I don't think you need to stay in for 5 days, I found the 3 day stay was plenty although it is great not to have to cook dinner and do washing

    Only you can decide what you really want to do. I know what I'd be doing if it were me, but it's not my decision.

    Theres every reason to also believe that you will have a perfetly safe, natural labour too, but of course no one can guarentee that either. Are you going to regret it if you have another c section?? Do you have your heart set on a VBAC, which may I add is fantastic

    Hmm doesn't seem that I've been much help. LOL. Hope I haven't confused matters further.

    Goodluck in making a decision.

  3. #3
    allyfield Guest

    Default

    The reason why my family can not come up is My dad has just had a knee replacement on friday and will be in hospital for 2 weeks and my mum does not drive and they live 2 1/2 hours away. I told my OB from the start i wanted another c-section but he kept on saying wait till it gets closer to my due date to make a decision. I did not want to go naturally.
    I would like to stay 5 days give my husband some time with our son because he doesn't get much time with him because of his roster and he works 12 hour shifts plus travel to and from work.

  4. #4

    Default

    I don't think your OB will do a c-section at 37 weeks they all like to wait till you are 38 weeks or just passed that.
    They do like to keep the baby inside as long as possible as that is the best place for them. My last OB said they like them to "cook" a little longer and after having Alex early as well and him spending time in special care i understand a lot more in why they like to do that.

    Like Tirsh said can't yor family come closer to your due date if they are able to come after you have had a c-section.

    Yes it is nice to know what date you are having bubs and plan aorund that but recovery is hard when you have two to look after.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    8,980

    Default

    Have you thought about a Doula Ally?

    Also, it sounds like you have made a decision already but one thing to think about if you dont have much support is that you'll recover alot quicker from a vaginal birth - you'll be able to get up and have a shower right away, so you will have that extra recovery time afterwards to think about with a toddler and a new baby.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; September 23rd, 2006 at 08:58 AM.
    Kelly xx

    Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sydney's Norwest
    Posts
    4,954

    Default

    Ally, I hope my post didn't seem rude to you, that wasn't my intention at all.

    I hope that you can come to a decision that suits you and your family then. I do agree with Michelle though, recovery after a c section, when you have other children to look after is a buggar.

  7. #7
    allyfield Guest

    Default

    I guess they could come closer to my due date but my dad can not drive for 6 weeks so my sister and her family have to drive my parents up, which can only be on a weekend because her and her husband both work and the kids are at school.

    My Ob told me if I had not had the baby by 40 weeks he was going to do the c-section anyway. I guess if he does it at 38 weeks my husband will be home for 4 days and hopefully my family can come up.

  8. #8
    Kirsty77 Guest

    Default

    My sister had 2 of her 3 daughters via c/s before the 38 week mark, but she went into natural labour with both and wanted to have sceduled c/s as with her first daughter she had an emergency one.

    One was born at right on 36 wks and the other at 37.5 weeks. Both had absolutely no problems.

    Just remember ultimately its your choice alone, if you and your ob agree to do the c/s that early then don't feel bad for it. Own your decision. Only you can decide what to do and what works for you.

    Goodluck!

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    South Coast NSW
    Posts
    1,260

    Default

    Just a quick suggestion, one you may have overlooked, could your DH go and pick up your parents on one of the days that he has off? If so why dont you do that? If you have your licence you could drive your parents car back so they have a car after your dads knee has healed. I hope everything works out for you,
    Take care
    Jenni

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •