Thread: I know this is a stupid question........

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Question I know this is a stupid question........

I know this sounds like a silly question, but I am really interested to know how midwives/Obs know when you are going into transition? Apart from the obvious if you have had an internal done, but what is it about a labouring woman that signals them moving into transition???? I am just really curious!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

A trained eye. There are little giveaways that a midwife or doctor tuned into a woman's body can pick up, but they do make mistakes too, thinking women are further along than they are. That's because they don't spend much time with the woman When you are with them continuously it's easier
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Thanks Kelly, I am just really curious as I had no idea that was where I was upto, the last thing I was focused on was being 6 cm dilated and then all of sudden they were telling me I was ready to push (I wouldn't believe them, maybe it was denial kicking in ! hehehehe)

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Hey if you were able to work out when you were in transition I would be worried LOL! You aren't supposed to be thinking during labour!!! Your thinking brain switches with your ancient, instinctive brain stem, so thats why its hard to have a discussion with a woman in full labour.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Too true!!!!!

I am really really curious and into everything about birthing now - must get some more books and I have been reading the articles on your website as well - very interesting. I wish I had of been more knowledgable first time round!

I was always wondering about this too. Because from memory when i went into transition i sort of went into my own world and the contractions had stopped for about 10-15mins. The midwife was quite surprised when she did an internal saying i was ready to push, they pretty much left us alone the whole time until i was pushing.

Yes kelly is right. You girls give off little signals that we look for. Also on the internal examination. It is very rare for me to do one. I can usually tell how things are going by them little signals

Oh I forgot to add. That was not a stipid question.
    The only stupid question is the one that you don't ask.

DH knows when i was in trasition, it was generally the only time i swear during labour (telling him to get the **** away from me!!) Im generally a pretty placid person, even during labour...

Looking back I knew when I was in transition with Mason as I got a bit calm for a while. At the time though I had no idea.