Thread: Inducing labour

Fraser Guest

Default Inducing labour

Hi ladies

I know I've got a long way to go yet, but I found out from my mum the other day that she did not go into labour naturally with me or either of my siblings - she had to be induced each time.

I am worried this is going to happen to me, and from readin the birth stories in here it seems women are induced a lot of the time.

I guess my question is for those mothers that were induced - did you feel robbed of natural birth in any way? I feel a bit strange about a Dr picking out the date my child is born - I kind of want my child to pick the day himself.

How long can you hold off on being induced? (obviously if it's a safety thing I wouldn't want to hold off)

Cheers, Em

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Fraser, it think it often depends how long your Ob thinks you can go. As much as you can say no, I think that women will just take in what their Obs say, that coupled with those who are over being pregnant - I am not surprised inductions are through the roof.

38-42 weeks is classed as full term, after this is classed as post-dates. But not many Obs these days will wait any longer than this.

Things you can do:

* Tell your Ob that you will happily have an ultrasound post dates to check fluid levels / placenta function and given all is well with the scan and mums health, you will wait.

* Always go by your own dates or the latest possible EDD. Less pressure for induction

* If you are getting close to 42 weeks, try some natural induction methods and walk, walk, walk - not to the point of exhaustion but it helps baby come down and often a shorter labour. Walking is great.

* Get yourself a doula / birth attendant. They can offer you the following benefits:

For the birth

~ Reduction in length of labour (by an average of 98 minutes)
    ~ The use of analgesia reduced by 35%
    ~ Epidural use decreased
    ~ Reduction in oxytocin augmentation (drip to speed up / stregnthen labour) by 71%
    ~ Reduction in use of forceps by 57%
    ~ Caesarean births reduced by 51%

Data from meta-analysis of twelve trials (includes data from a wide variety of medical, cultural and economic settings).

* Get informed. Grab a copy of 'The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth' by Henci Goer. Read up on inductions - I have an article HERE which has been proof-read by midwives, so you can get some facts about induction, the risks and deciding if it's best for you.

Some women have shorter gestations than others. My two both came a few days early. Other mums find they always go overdue. One mum said this:

My pregnancies were all long: twins by induction at 40 weeks, the next child by induction at 42 weeks. By child no. 4 I had decided on a homebirth which meant that I Had to go into labour naturally... finally at 43 weeks and 4 days that happened. It isn't recommended to go that long, however he was fine, although his skin peeled off everywhere. Baby no 5 was 42 weeks and 3 days, also born at home. I tried acupuncture, I drank gallons of raspberry leaf tea, I had so much sex I was sick of it. I believe that some women naturally have longer pregnancies and some have shorter. The women who spontaneously labour have their babies at 37 weeks fall into the 'normal' category and the unlucky women who go longer than 40 weeks unfortunately get landed with all the interventions. Choosing to wait for labour to occur naturally was very hard work as there was a tremendous amount of pressure to agree to an induction, however I believed that my body Must eventually labour spontaneously. I did agree to regular CTGs in the last week to check that the baby was OK.
    Empower yourself with information and make an informed decision. Don't let anyone make it for you because no-one is an expert on your own, unique baby and when he/she will be ready.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Fraser, Kelly is right. It is your decision to make, not your doctor's. Just bear that in mind. I feel the same as you on the issue ... medically it is fine but for no other reason.

I am (barely) over the due date. Have told my doctor I would prefer not to be induced and he is happy to comply for so long as everything remains well. I'm just having the ultrasounds done to check amniotic fluid etc. and that is all okay.

In the end, some things will always be outside your control and I guess I'm talking about complications here but if you make your wishes known to your carer then you've done the best you can do I think.

Hope that helps.

Mel