Thread: Induction stories / comments

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Induction stories / comments

Hello all,

I'm working on an article on inductions and am after your stories, experiences and thoughts about your inductions.

Specific things I am after are:

*Your story (can be short but would love some detail)
    *Why were you induced?
    *Did you want to be induced?
    *Which method of induction was used?
    *How did you feel the induction & birth went? Was it what you expected?
    *Do you think the induction had any effect on your birth experience or after the birth?
    *Would you accept an induction again if it were offered in a non-serious condition?
    *Would you accept an induction again if it were offered in a more serious condition?
    *Were you told / were you aware of what effects induction medication has on you as the mother? If so, what?
    *Were you told / were you aware of what effects induction medication has on the baby? If so what?

If you could please email them to me at [email protected] by Monday the 22nd August that would be great! Thanks

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I thought I would open this post for discussion as I have only had a handful of replies to this, so please if you have some comments to share, please do. Of course you can still email me.

Also I have added an extra question to the list. Brenda, BellyBelly's midwife is co-writing the article with me, so you'll get some medical comment as well.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

My story:
    Put into hospital at 30 weeks with pre-eclampsia and IUGR. Medical decision to induce at 35 weeks because of the IUGR.

*Why were you induced?

IUGR (inter-uterine growth retardation whereby baby doesn't get fed enough from the placenta)

Wasn't really offered an option other than induction or immediate c/s.

Gel x 2 (but baby's heartrate dropped after the second application and emergency c/s was the end result)

*How did you feel the induction & birth went?

As well as it could have under the circumstances.

* Was it what you expected?

Yes because I was told he might not survive a natural birth, but it was my choice to try anyway.

*Do you think the induction had any effect on your birth experience or after the birth?

Yes, because I knew I at least had a go at trying for a natural birth.

*Would you accept an induction again if it were offered?

Depends on the circumstances, because of the previous c/s I don't think they actually offer induction with a VBAC.

*Were you told / were you aware of what effects induction medication has on you as the mother? If so, what?

Don't really remember. (sorry!)

*Were you told / were you aware of what effects induction medication has on the baby? If so what?

Yes, was told that contractions would actually be good for the baby because he was premmie and it would stimulate his lungs to breathe when he came out! Other than that, no.

*Why were you induced?

- My waters broke at 39 weeks pg in the early morning, but I was not having any 'real' contractions by the afternoon, so they decided to induce me to get things moving along. (once your waters have broken there is a risk of infection to the baby, which was why they wanted to induce me)

- Yes I did, because I had gotten myself all psyched up that 'this was it' once my waters had broken, and was pretty dissapointed to hear that I was not having any 'real' contractions. They offered to let me go home for the night actually, but I burst into tears as I felt so let down, and did not want to go home without my baby.

- they used the Syntocin drip (which might I mention took them FIVE HOURS and about 16 attempts to find a vein in my hand... :mad: )
    (I am guessing that the gel would have been useless what with my waters being broken and all...?)

- It wasnt really what I expected... but then I have to admit that I had no real expectations, as I had never given birth before.

- I was actually quite traumatised from the ordeal of them trying to put the syntocin drip in my hand, as it dragged on for so long, and they tried so many doctors, that I was in tears for hours and beginning to think that I was never going to be able to give birth.
    Also, once the drip was inserted the contractions came on really, really strongly, and I think the shock of this was what made me ask for an epidural. Though the midwife was actually recommending an epidural to lower my blood pressure at the time as well.

*Would you accept an induction again if it were offered in a non-serious condition?
    Probably if I was more than 1 weeks overdue I would be keen to be induced.

*Would you accept an induction again if it were offered in a more serious condition?
    Yes I would

No, I dont believe I was told of any effects.

No, I dont believe I was told of any effects.

mooshie Guest

okay here goes - i hope it is not to much of an epic - i have been through 2 different inductions

first prg - waters break at home 1 day after due date, can't remember alot but i do know that i wasn't having contractions when i got to hospital, i was induced with the drip and it was awful, the contractions were very close and intense i also had quite a bit of a problem pushing my daughter out, after around 2 - 3 hrs of pushing she was born with the help of forceps.

*Why were you induced?

induction was offered as my waters had broken and i was not progressing naturally. ob advised that because my waters had broken that the baby really needed to be born within the next 24 - 48hrs, and my body did not look like it was going to do that.

once ob explained that the baby would be at risk if she wasn't born within the above time, being a first prg i was scared and just went with the flow on what the ob said and didn't really think about anything else

drip (OUCH)

i think for a first time birth it was probably better than expected time wise - my waters broke at 3am, drips inserted at 8am and baby born at 5pm however the continuous and intense contractions that go along with the drip induction really wore me out not to mention how long it took me to push her out - i was just about to be wheeled down for an emergency c-section when the ob advised me to try forceps - so in that sense i am glad i didn't have a c-section (have always been scared of one dunno why)

after the birth i was fine, however i do remember during the birth the extreme exhaustion and i really think this had to do with the induction. on a positive note i was able to walk around and shower whilst on the drip and i wasn't confined to a bed which was great.

*Would you accept an induction again if it were offered in a non-serious condition? yes i have done lol (will get to that)

*Would you accept an induction again if it were offered in a more serious condition? yes anything to keep mum and bubs safe

NO

NO

with prg #3 i was induced as i was overdue and the lovely lani was born very quickly. i was admitted at 3pm on wednesday 15th september 2004 given 1ml of gel at 4pm (first examination showed 1cm dilated) ate dinner etc 8pm my dh and ds rang to say goodnight, my dh was going to come back to hospital at 7am the next day when ob was to break my waters and insert the drip (which i told him i didn't want) everything was fine, around 8.30pm i mentioned to the midwives i was having pain at irregular intervals but down really low not from the top of my bump going down as contractions are meant to feel - they advised me it would just be prostin pains, i did a couple of laps around the maternity ward as i couldn't sleep then thought i would get back to my room at 9pm as i was to be having more ctg monitoring before the next 2ml of gel was to be inserted at 10pm - monitor on midwife leaves, comes back around 9.45pm and she notices (obviously from the concentration on my face lol) that i am indeed having contractions (although they were not painful i did have to concentrate) she examined me 3cms rang ob he said not to put the next lot of gel and he would see me at 7am and to get a good nights sleep - little miss lani had other plans lol. i settled in to watch the panel and at 10pm i turned off the light when i felt a "pop" waters had broken, i noticed there was some meconium (sp?) and i was a little frightened, they rang dh to advise him i was to be taken down to labour ward he needed to ring my mum to look after my son - got to labour ward at 10.15pm when they started to fill the bath, i told midwife i needed to do a poo and she asked me to lay down on the bed first, examination 5cm and that is where i stayed in the room all alone whilst she was busily getting things prepared for a quick arrival and ringing the ob to get out of bed and come down - my dh was still not there, ob got there at 10.30pm and he was great encouraging me and even giving me water to drink finally at 10.45pm my dh arrived expecting me to just be laying there going through early labour, what a shock he got - lani was born at 11.03pm.

*Why were you induced?
    10 days over and i was getting a bit tired and frustrated - i think ob was concerned about bubs movement has he had me monitored alot in the last few weeks - however this has happened with all 3 pregnancies, i think becuase my placenta has been at the front and movement is quite hard for me to detect.

by that stage in my prg yes

gel

initially i was very nervous about being induced again, but i believe the gel was far better than the drip - i was actually adamant i would never have that drip again , i hated it. i felt the gel was for me a lot more gentle. and really after such a quick birth and drug free i really could not complain - i actually mentioned i couldn't wait to do it all again 8-[

*Do you think the induction had any effect on your birth experience or after the birth? Not at all, in fact i am glad i was in the hospital being induced as i think lani was in such a hurry to come out had i not been in hospital she may have been born in the car. i had a strange feeling all through my prg i would do a "nicky buckley" and have my baby on the laundry floor.

*Would you accept an induction again if it were offered in a non-serious condition? Yes for reasons stated in the #1 story

*Were you told / were you aware of what effects induction medication has on you as the mother? If so, what? No

*Were you told / were you aware of what effects induction medication has on the baby? If so what? No

sorry for the epic

Kel,

I emailed you before, so as for the extra questions...

During our antenatal class we were given a book that went into a lot of detail about the pros and cons of having an induction including the possible effects on both the mother and the baby. It wasn't really discussed in depth though and although I read through it I didn't really make much of an effort to remember it as for some reason it never occurred to me that I'd be having one LOL #-o When I actually had the induction nothing was mentioned about the effects on the mother & it was only after the gel had been inserted that the midwife told me I'd have to be monitored frequently because it might cause the baby to go into distress.

Howdy -

*Your story (can be short but would love some detail) At nine days over I had the (prostin?) gel applied, at ten days over I had another lot of it and another go at 12 days over. None of these worked, at 13 days over I had my waters broken and the drip (is there more than one kind?). 9 odd hours of nothingness. Had some pains that were coming quick and regularly after this, but not registering on the monitor. Could not be mobile with the drip on one side and the monitor on the other. Lots of writhing in the bed. Given gas and pethadine (dont remember asking for this) and threw up (could have told them pethadine makes me puke). People started saying something about foetal distress and I signed something, drank something and they did an emergency CS. Later found out she was not engaged properly, I had not dialated more than 2cm.

*Why were you induced? Post dates, I think they call it.

*Did you want to be induced? If she wasn't coming out on her own and if thats what had to be done, then it had to happen. Not fussed.

*Which method of induction was used? Gel, waters broken, drip.

*How did you feel the induction & birth went? Was it what you expected? I was under the impression I would get hard and fast contractions within the hour. NOPE. I thought it was a bit of a mess and have since been told that as I was not dialating and not experiencing proper labour, they should never have let me go so long and should have done the CS a lot earlier. I felt the young midwives seemed a bit naive and not very helpful, telling me all day I was going to have my baby really soon while I'm sitting up in bed waiting for something, anything to happen.

*Do you think the induction had any effect on your birth experience or after the birth? It was OK in the end, but if I had a choice between being induced and having a natural birth or having an elective CS - I'd go the elective.

*Would you accept an induction again if it were offered in a non-serious condition? Apparently they don't induce a second time if you're first ended with a CS. Even if this wasn't the case, I would still say no.

*Would you accept an induction again if it were offered in a more serious condition? as above.

*Were you told / were you aware of what effects induction medication has on you as the mother? If so, what? Just that labour would start quickly and painfully.

*Were you told / were you aware of what effects induction medication has on the baby? If so what? Not at all.

Barb.

I was being monitered very carefully in the last two months of pregnancy due to bp going up and down, retaining fluid and traces of protein in my urine. Eventually at 35 weeks they admitted me into hospital as my BP went through the roof and their were a few plus of the protein. Again in hospital we were monitered and it was decided by the doctor that i would be induced at 37 weeks as they feared that Jack had stopped growing.

Had the gel twice, (Prostan) the night before and the morning of the day I delivered Jack. Went into labour at 315pm, went from one cm to fully dilated in an hour, they broke my waters and Jack was born at 515pm.

*Why were you induced?
    Pre - eclampsia and the fact that they thought Jack had stopped growing.

Didn't have any choice. It was out of my hands. Looking back, there should have been a little more discussion about it, but they did the right thing as they were right.

*Which method of induction was used? Gel times two, then waters broken.

I was sort of going with the flow and wasn't really expecting anything. but I never realised how hard the contractions would be, they were the ****test thing that I can remember.

Half and half. Because it was a quick labour, it is considered a traumatic birth. No time to take a breather in between. But then again, I was in and out in two hours - that can only be a good thing LOL!

Nope.

Yes. The babies health is more important to what I might or might not feel.

Nope, no discussions about it at all, just you are being induced and that was that.

No.

[/quote]

katanya Guest

My story:
    At the typical 41 week appointment was informed that 10 days over was optimal time for being induced so it was book for the 10th day over..they attempted a stretch and sweep this started my show off but no dialation..tried every natural induction method know to mankind,but no go so turned up at the hospital for first lot of gels..on the 9th day over
    Did you want to be induced?

I didn't want to be induced as a method because i wanted an active labour, but yes I did want my baby out by then.
    First Wednesday night was mild gels, next day thursday morning heavier gels (2mls of progesterone), they produce mild irregular contractions but nothing else..had to wait an extra day because there were 26 spontantious labours on the ward and they ceratinly weren't going to induce another one..Friday monring more gels, lunch time water broken and drip started, they had to crank it up really high because still not much was happening..waters were re broken and finally everything kicked in
    How did you feel the induction & birth went? Was it what you expected?
    I didn't like being pinned to the bed, and so i got an epidural because I couldn't do anything to help the pain, it was very artificial, and after the epidural I felt very removed from the whole labour..it wasn't what I expected from labour, the birth when really well as he progressed smoothly with no distress and at the end came out in 3 contractions, I was very lucky there were no other compliactions.
    Do you think the induction had any effect on your birth experience or after the birth?
    I enjoyed my labour, but felt removed from it at the same time, this made me feel guilty and like I'd cheated somehow. After the birth felt great, refreshed and able to concentrate on breastfeeding.
    Would you accept an induction again if it were offered in a non-serious condition?
    No because I feel abit cheated I didn't go into spontantious labour, I wanted to have the pre labour stuff and have the first part of my labour at home, I am not sure I would wait forever but I would like to wait longer next time, i feel I could labour well given a shance to go into labour naturally.
    Would you accept an induction again if it were offered in a more serious condition?
    Defiantely, my priority is healthy baby healthy me, and I would do it if there was a risk to either of us.
    Were you told / were you aware of what effects induction medication has on you as the mother? If so, what?
    No idea what those were and no I wasn't told, and I didn't even look into it? I was aware that it made the contractions more intense than a spontantious labour because you didn't ahve the pre labour to help the body prepare itself.
    Were you told / were you aware of what effects induction medication has on the baby? If so what?
    I was aware that it culd stress the baby more because of the sudden and intense contractions and this could lead to further complications, the OB/GYN had said that the 10th day overdue was the optimal time for induction any early or later the stat were worse for further intervention risk.

Debbie Lee Guest

I've already sent mine to you, Kelly, but I will wack it in here too I must have missed the last 2 questions when I originally wrote it.

My Story
    Towards the last few weeks of my pregnancy, I was being closely monitored because my blood pressure had gone up. Every time I had it checked, it was different and on the high side of normal. I was taken off shared care with my GP and put on high risk. This meant that I had to go into the hospital every week to see a doctor.
    I was told that if I started to get any headaches or blurry vision to call the birthing suites at the hospital straight away.
    At 39 weeks I started to get some shocking headaches that wouldn’t go away with panadol so I was monitored several times at the birthing suites and at the Maternal Day Assessment Unit. It was decided that, even though the baby wasn’t engaged and was quite happy, my blood pressure was getting so high that they were worried that we were just waiting for something bad to happen. After a brief discussion with one of the doctors, it was decided that I would be given some prostin gel to bring on labour.
    I wasn’t too concerned about the whole process. In fact, I was excited because I thought it meant that I would get to meet my baby sooner rather than later.
    The first dose of gel was administered and I was admitted to a bed on the ward. I had to stay in the hospital to be monitored so I had to share a room with someone that had already had their baby. I was given a second lot of gel that afternoon. I was told that if things didn’t progress overnight that I would be given a third dose first thing in the morning.
    The birthing suites filled up over night so they decided to cancel all inductions until a couple of the suites were freed up. So I was left in limbo.
    Around lunch time, I was taken back down to the MDAU for a 3rd dose of prostin gel. This time the internal really hurt and it took my breath away. I had a bit of a show so it was obvious that things had been moving along.
    I was in so much pain for the next few days. I got to go home for a few hours but had to return to the ward over night as they wanted to monitor my BP. It was very hard being in so much pain when I was sharing a room with someone that needed her rest. I felt so much pressure, like I needed to do a big poo. I was told that I wasn’t having contractions, just prositin pain. It really, really hurt.
    The next morning I was sent down to the MDAU once again. I was under the impression that I was going to be checked to see if my waters could be broken. Instead they were going to give me a 4th dose of prostin gel. I outright refused. I was in so much pain and they couldn’t guarantee that I was going to go into labour with another dose. By this stage I was so sick of the hospital and I demanded to go home and let nature take it’s course. The doctor reluctantly let me go.
    I went home and was ok for the first day but soon I was in agony. Every 10 minutes I would scream out in pain. There was so much pressure! I went back to the birthing suites and was sent home with some panadiene forte and some sleeping tablets. They did absolutely nothing. I spent all of Sunday night in agony.
    On Monday 21st March, I went back into the MDAU only to be sent up to the clinic as they were full. I sat waiting for about 30 minutes having to hold back my screams of pain every 8-10 minutes because I didn’t want to freak the other people out.
    A doctor gave me an internal finally and said that I was able to have my waters broken. It was such a relief to know that there was finally a light at the end of the tunnel.
    My waters were broken and I was in “labour” for 4 hours. When I finally had “real” contractions, they felt exactly the same as the supposed “prostin pain”. I truly believe that I was having contractions at least for the last couple of days.
    I had an early epidural because of my high BP and was put on a sintocin drip to bring on contractions. Eventually I had to have an emergency c-section because something was compressing on the umbilical cord each time I had a contraction.

It definitely was not what I expected. I had heard stories about inductions that had brought labour on really quickly and I was expecting to be holding my baby after the first 2 doses of gel. I feel that the whole induction and birth did not go very well at all.

*Do you think the induction had any effect on your birth experience or after the birth? It definitely had an effect on my birth experience. Because I had been in so much pain for so long, I was exhausted before it even started. I only got to experience a few hours of proper labour. I feel that I could have gone another couple of weeks in my pregnancy without incident and at least waited until the baby was engaged. I also felt like I was ripped off when midwives and doctors kept telling me I was just experiencing “prostin pain”. I felt as though they were invalidating how I felt. On my records, they have written down that I was only in labour for 4 hours. The induction process was not factored into that. It was 5 days from the day I was given the first dose of gel to when my waters were broken.

*Would you accept an induction again if it were offered?
    The only way I would accept an induction would be if the baby was engaged or at least presenting well and if I was past my EDD. I would never have an induction again just because of my high BP.

*Were you told / were you aware of what effects induction medication has on you as the mother? If so, what? No. I was only made aware of the risks if I didn't have an induction (pre-eclampsia, hypertension etc.). I wasn't told that the prostin gel or the sintocin could have any side effects.

I was told that there was a chance that induction when the baby is not engaged can result in a prolapsed cord. That was the only risk to the baby that was brought to my attention.

Matthew is my first baby and I was relaxed about the whole labour thing, just take it as it comes kind of thing. I had pictured an active labour, using the fitballs and a birthing stool to give birth. I feel a bit silly taking that attitude now, I should have been more prepared. I really didn't know what the consequences would have been to being induced and not being induced. I commenced contractions on a Monday and when I saw the ob on the Wednesday, he was worried about my high blood pressure and fluid retention in hands and feet so decided to induce me that night.

*Why were you induced?
    As I had been in early labour for 3 days and his worry that I was having the beginnings of pre emcplasia (sp?)

For sure, if fact if he didn't do it, I was going to beg to be induced.

*Which method of induction was used?First of all, gel was inserted Wednesday night. Really hurtful contractions started at 5.30am the next morning, 7.30am my waters were broken, then 8.30am hooked up on the drip. 6.30pm I was being wheeled into therate for a forceps delivery.

At the time, I hated every minute of the labour as I was in so much pain and attached to everything so I couldn't move. I had an epidural at 12.30pm and that wore off by about 3.30pm. The drip bought on the contrations thick and fast. I was happy then to head into the therate at 6.30pm for a spinal block and forceps delivery.

At the time, not I didn't. Now I think it did.

No

Yes

No, wasn't aware what the effects would be.

No I wasn't. Now you are scaring me - what are the effects?!

HTH's

Your story (can be short but would love some detail)

For my first baby, my waters had broken at 5pm and contractions slowly started overnight. Around 1pm the following day I was induced to move things along.

*Why were you induced?
    Because my labour was moving along too slowly.

Yes

Injection

After being induced, contractions came on very rapidly and very painfully. I wasn't prepared for this, and so immediately asked for an epidural to help me manage the pain.

Not particularly - it was painful and scary briefly, but once the epidural took effect, I felt very relaxed.

Yes

Yes

No

No

Debbie Lee Guest

I was thinking the same thing too! What side effects are there on the baby? Could one of those side effects been the reason why Gabby was in special care for her first 36 hours?? I am actually quite peeved that I didn't research it all a little more.

Debbie Lee Guest

Well said, Shannon. I guess I meant more that I should have asked questions. But, you're right, the pros and cons should be presented to us in an un-biased manner.
    Actually, looking back, I did feel like I was being "rushed through". Almost like they expected my high BP to cause too many complications so let's just induce her, give her a c/s etc. When you think about it, tho...I took up a bed for 3 days prior (even though I asked to go home on several occasions) and then for 5 days after the birth. I really wasn't rushed through at all!

OK - Hopefully not too late to help you Kelly.

*My Story
    Was booked into the family birthing unit so had hoped I would go naturally, but as my sister had been induced with both of hers, I had a funny feeling I would be late too. Had very severe prelabour from about term to when I was induced. Was booked in for 41 week appt, at which time they chucked me on the CTG, did an U/S and told me I would be induced on the monday (term + 11days).

By being induced I forgoe being able to give birth in the FBU, which was really disappointing as I had been having panic attacks about the labour and all the needles!! So the midwives with the FBU had finally made me feel OK about having Jenna, and all of a sudden I was goign to have to go through the normal unit. Also Iknew 2 people who had mucked around by the hospital in their inductions, and didn't think I could wait any longer to have her.

Monday morning I was given 1 lot of gel and told to come back in 6 hrs - 3pm. Or I could come back if any interesting started happening. When I cam back at 3pm, I'd been having the same prelabour contractions for about 3hrs (that were apparently prostin pains...yeah right). The midwife did an internal at4pm and I was 2cm dilated, so I didn't need anymore gel. She did a strip and stretch, discovered Jenna was posterior and told me to go home and try to relax, particularly in all fours positioning to help with her turning. I went home for about 2hrs, and laboured inour spa bath wit the shower head on my back. By about 6pm I couldn't handle the pain anymore, contractions were coming about every 2mins and were killing me. My waters popped in the bath, and Mum and Shane dragged me out of the bath to get me dressed, into the car and off to hossy. They were a little surprised to see me back so quickly!
    Once at hossy they did an internal and I was 5cm dilated, so I asked for an epidural. Once that was done (about 45mins later) they did another internal and I was fully dilated. Oops...
    From here my contractions started disappearing and they couldn't get a clear read on Jenna's heartbeat, so a catheter, a skull monitor for Jenna and the syntocin were all started. As Jenna was a little distressed, and was still OP, they made the decision to prep me for theatre where foreps would be attempted. If this didn't work a c/s was the go. In the end they used 2 forceps to get her out, and I had an episiotomy.

I was OK with the induction in the end, the hospital did that really well, and I was stoked I still got to have the midwives from the FBU. I was very lucky. My labour all went VERY quickly, probably because of all the prelabour I had had. It was insanely painful though, and I couldn't cope anymore without help.

I was really disappointed I had to have all the paraphenalia as originally I had wanted a natural birth. I was disappointed I didn't get to hold Jenna straight away, I didn't get her for about 30-45 mins when I was in recovery, and it was tough recovering from all the needles, and the episiotomy. I guess I feel like my body failed a little, but I'm pleased it was a forceps delivery and not a caeser.

Would you accept an induction again if it were offered in a non-serious condition?
    As much as I want to say I wouldn't have another induction, any woman term+11days is starting to get a little frazzled!! My body was ripe so to speak, so the actual induction went OK, and if Jenna hadn't been OP, the whole thing would have probably been over by about 7pm that night! The episiotomy was probably the thing I have had the most trouble with since as it took about 4months to have comfortable sex. I also want to go back through the FBU next time around, so an induction would spoil that again.

Would you accept an induction again if it were offered in a more serious condition?
    Unfortunately I think the general go is to do c/s if things are serious!! Hospitals dont seem to want to spend time on inductions if a c/s will do the trick. As the others have said, I would always do what was best for the baby, as long as a trusted dr and midwife were also saying it was the right way to go!

Were you told / were you aware of what effects induction medication has on you as the mother? If so, what?
    From what I now understand inductions can more likely lead to epidurals becasue of the intense contractions and pain, and this can result in more assisted births (ie forceps). I really had no choice as I wasn't prepared to have another few weeks of prelabour!! Again from what I understant, the gel is fairly benign, and doesn't do too much, but the syntocin is the real killer. So I guess I was lucky I only had the gel to get me to 10cm. After that, nothing really made much of a difference anymore to me. The epi was fine - no after effects, and Jenna was feeding fine at her first feed so I guess there were no problems there either.

Fiona