Thread: Inductions due to larger baby??

mizzsocial Guest

Default Inductions due to larger baby??

My son was 9.5 pound, and it was a complicated delivery which ended up with 3 hours of pushing, and forceps delivery..
    I have always been worried that this bub might be just as big, if not bigger than my son and that i will have a bad labor again..

My question is..

I go on another forum which is where mainly americans go on, and 90% of the time, if there previous babies were born large, then they get extra monitoring of the babys size, and are offered inductions around 38 weeks if it looks like the baby is going to be larger size......??

My midwives have never discussed this with me, and im not sure if they are meant too??

Anyone been in this situation??

Raf Guest

As far as I know, unless you were unable to naturally birth your first one, they are highly unlikely to intervene. Also, I think it would be apparent from your check-ups and fundal height etc whether the bub was excessiely large... Im sure if they were concerned they would have suggested intervention, but if you feel concerned you should definitely bring it up yourself. I'm a big believer of mother's instinct, and if your gut is telling you something, you should mention it if only for the reassurance!

Good luck!

8-[ My cousins first baby was 13+ pounds!!!
    She was warned bubba was of low birth weight!!! :shock:

She delivered naturally but actually p[assed out & began fitting.. Her Mum was thrown out of the birthing suite!!!

She was told to have C/S for following kids which she did & both were approx 11pounds...

So that doesnt help, but I guess 9.5 isnt excessively large in her instance...

My sisters kids were both above 9pounds...

But mention it so they know you have fears...

My best friend has birthed two 12 pound plus babies with no problems.
    Yes they were big bubbies but she managed with them just fine. Both of them were overdue abd they didn't know how big her first would be till she was born. They were both really chubby with rolls and just gorgeous!

Until your baby is on those scales, there is no way of truly knowing how big your baby will be. I have had two babies over 9 pounds and gave birth naturally and both times I had no idea of the size, but I could tell they would be long because I could feel where they were etc. I don't think there is any need to intervene due to suspected large size of bubs, as it can bring it's own set of complications. Also, because you have already had one child, they sort of pave the way for the second one IYKWIM and it is generally not as hard to get them out. Every pg is different, as is every birth and I am sure you will be fine. if bubs does prove to be bigger, there is not really much you can do about it.

I think sometimes there can be too much monitoring and things can be a bit over the top IYKWIM? causing undue stress and worry for the mum.

mizzsocial Guest

Sherie: Did you find it easier with your #2 baby?? was the birth easier.??

My second birth was a lot easier. Erin was my smallest bub at 8lb 8ozs but all of mine have had the same head circ. With #1 (9lb 3.5ozs) I had to push for 1.5hrs and needed an episiotomy, but Erin was only 15mins of pushing and I let my body do most of the work in getting her out. #3 was my biggest bub at 9lb 8.5ozs and only took 1/2hr to push out.

Erins birth was the easiest by far (had complications after having Paige) and I loved every minute of it. Second time around you are more aware of the choices you have and are more confident in what your body can do to birth a baby. I'm sure that this time you will be more confident and will know how to work with your body better to get bubs out.

Try to think positively about the impending birth and there are some great articles on here about optimal fetal positioning (maybe your first baby was not in the right position).

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

You can never compare a first birth to a second, I am sure it will be easier this time around. Inducing bigger babies only has more risk of caesarean which is proven by study - you might like to read the Gestational Diabetes thread where the American College of Obs/Gyns concluded this.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

mizzsocial - were you told you had a complicated delivery due to your son's size? I was just wondering, as it is possible that you may have had a difficult time even if he was smaller.

As someone who has been induced, I wouldn't recommend it unless it was absolutely necessary (in my case it was due to pre-eclampsia), as it can lead to even more interventions. However my babies were 'average' 7 pounders.

Bon

mizzsocial Guest

bon: My delivery was complicated pushing him out due to his size..so that, combine with the fact that i was 1st time mum proberly had a lot to do with it i guess..

Shannon: Thanks for those links, ill check them out

mizzsocial.....not sure if the below will help you any, but thought I would let you know my experience......

I was induced with Charlie because it was suspected he would be over 11lb (based on fundal height and a 37 week scan).

However, he came out at only 6lb 13oz, so the induction only caused a very short labour: I gave birth no problems at all, apart from I found it too fast. (2 hours from start to finish).

I had problems (shoulder distocia) with Olivia, and I am now convinced that it was position that made the two births so different.....with Olivia I was on a bed in a reclined postition, but with Charlie I was standing/squatting.

Regardless of how big they tell me #3 is going to be, there is NO WAY I am going to be induced again........

I did both births without pain relief and didn't tear either time, and they were both wonderful, BUT Charlie's was just TOO fast due to the induction drugs, and I don't want that again........

Hi Mizzsocial

I can only concur with all the other members as my experience was pretty much the same. i developed high blood pressure and gestational diabetes . All scans pointed to my first baby being large so i was induced at 37 weeks. Baby weighed 4275g.or 9 pound 7. Then baby number two,exactly the same scenario and they said Oh another large baby. Induced be at 36 weeks and she was 6pound 6. So ofeten they get it wrong. And the first pregnancy,labour and child,are all very different to each other. First labour intervention and 12 hours. @nd labour no intervention or drugs over in 1hour and a half,precipitous labour. Very very different

Pauline

My son was born at 39 weeks 4 days, adn was 4625 gms ( 10 pd 3 oz) and I delivered him naturally after the previos birth being a csec, so if i can do it, anyone can!!!