Thread: Just to clear it up...

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Just to clear it up...

I often get asked and also notice the confusion over what a 'natural birth' means - lots of people believe a natural birth means baby was birthed (as opposed to delivered, pizza's are delivered, babies are born LOL!) vaginally. However a natural birth generally means, obviously born vaginally, without drugs and without medical intervention, i.e. forceps, epidural etc. The birth of my son Elijah was natural, I laboured at home until 9 centimetres, got to hospital and pushed until he was born - so that was an example of a natural birth compared to Marisa who was augmented, gas, epidural - despite being born vaginally.

If you want the WHO (World Health Organisation) definition of NORMAL birth:

"Spontaneous in onset, low-risk at the start of labour and remaining so throughout labour and delivery. The infant is born spontaneously [without help] in the vertex position [head down] between 37 and 42 completed weeks of pregnancy. After birth mother and baby are in good condition."
    This is of course a topic of debate amongst professionals and women, but it generally means without any medical intervention.

So just thought I would explain, hope that helps! I hope this post doesn't offend anyone, it's not law or how it 'should' be for absolutely everyone, it is not intended to glorify anything or make anyone feel that their experience was not as good as another, I just thought I would post this to explain to lots of people at once

I suppose while I am at it, I will explain the birthing bit too and why I don't use the word 'delivered'... because I think that a woman births her baby and an Obstetrician doesn't 'deliver' her baby to her! The woman did all the hard work, it's her baby, she should take full credit for it! So birth your babies into the world ladies - don't let anyone else 'deliver' them for you Oh yeah and your baby isn't a pizza ROFL!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Well said Kelly

I have never delivered a baby. I have supported and assisted many women when they are giving birth.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Yes I hate it they call labour wards - 'delivery' ward -at least some are now birthing suites !
    Well said

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I have another more recent one I have sworn to avoid, I have used the word 'overdue' far too much in the past and I promise to use 'post-dates' for now on Because up to 42 weeks is full term and not 'overdue' and estimated dates of birth are just that - a wild estimate (with around 5-7 days innaccuracy without even factoring in the unique mother) and not an actual date. Even first trimester ultrasound has 5 days either side for error. I think there is much power in the words we use.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.