Thread: Labour looking much more positive

Talking Labour looking much more positive

HI All,

I went on a tour of the hospital I will be giving birth at yesterday afternoon and I must say, that I am really really pleased that I went!! I have been in the birth suites and maternity ward before, when my sister was in labour so I know how everything looks like, but it was really good to go on the tour and have the midwife explain everything.

While in the birthing suite, the midwife said that we can have access to a fitball, bean bag, get on the floor with a mattress, shower, bath, play music, dim lights, burn oil. And I think that is all that she said. So I am really please that the hospital offers all these sorts of things.

I would like to try and get use of most things that are offered, inparticular, the fitball, bean bag, bath/shower and oil burner. But I know anything can change when I am in there!!

So my question here is on the fitball and oil burner.

I've heard/read that the use of a fitball is meant to be really good. But how would you use the fitball?? It is just used for rocking and rolling on?

And, what sort of oils can be used in the oil burner that would be calming/soothing/relaxing?

TIA!!

With the fitball, I laid over it, and rocked during each contraction. I also did this while in the shower, it was fabulous!! And at the same time, have DP rub your back.

As for oils, I'm not sure exactly which ones, I can't stand the smell of them so I didn't worry about it, but I have heard that it helps some women.

BTW: congrats on your engagement!!

HI Veronica, You hosptial sounds like mine!! Im planning on sitting on the fitball in the shower if my legs get tired, kneeling on floor and leaning over it (elbows on it), sitting on it and rocking and leaning on the bed etc.
    Also with the oils - *link removed by mod* - google sunspirit aromatherapy -
    check out this site, they have blends for different phases of pregnancy and labour!! Jasmine, rose , neroli, clary sage are all good for labour - just check though some shouldnt be used prior to 36-7 weeks. Thanks for the reminder too - havent packed my oils!!
    Good luck!
    Last edited by Shannon; April 30th, 2007 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Link removed

I used the fit ball in the shower. I laid over it and rocked. it was nice, but got uncomfortable after a while. I also sat on it for a while but found it difficult to balance during contractions.

I sat on the fitball and rocked, this helped me dilate fairly quickly and helped with the pain of the contractions, sitting still is the hardest thing to do!

Thanks everyone.

When you say you laid on the fitball, how did you manage that?! Were you laying on the fitball as you without a pg belly or was the ball against your chest or below the belly?

Tan - thanks for the link for the oils, I've printed them out and will make sure I start looking for them. But how do you know if you are going to like that particular blend? I am tempted to have a whif of it just to make sure I like the smell of it..

I think that a quick whiff would be fine to make sure you like the smell (if anyone else knows??) just make sure you dont burn or apply prior to 38 weeks!

I parked my butt on a fitball for pretty much all of my labours up until I had an epidural and it was fantastic.
    Something about the way you sit on them opens up your pelvis and it really helps the baby to come down as well as relieving the pressure on your hips...it was great for me.
    Basically I just sat on it beside the bed and rested my arms and upper body on the bed....rocked around, bounced a bit......fitballs are great.

I never used oil - they had burners at my hospital but I didn't think to take any.

Veronica - what hospital are you going to?

I'm only gonna use Lavendar as i know i find it calming and doesn't make me nauseous. I've had a smell of the clary sage, which is supposed to help with contractions, when i was in a health food store the other day but it made my stomach turned a little (i'm so sensitive to some smells when i'm preg) so i thought i'd avoid it during labour. Better to stick with something i know won't make me feel funny or sick.

I used a fitball at home to perch on and then lean over on the bed. (DH had it pumped up nice and high).

I tried to use the ones at the hospital but they were too soft and it was agony. I think it would have been ok if I could have leaned over one but with lino floors that wasn't an option. (My hosp wasn't going to let me get on the floor).

paradise lost Guest

I used rose oil and geranium oil in my burner and found they helped keep me calm and focused during early labour. The smell of them now brings back powerful, wonderful memories.

Hana

Fitball - I bounced on it in the shower, with one shower head on my tummy and the other on my back. It was great.

Oils - I went to a store (Perfect Potion - pretty sure they are online) and got some oils - one blend was a 'relax' blend, and another was a 'refresh' blend. I also got a in-labour oil to rub on my belly - that one contained clary sage and it definitely brought on the contractions (it was amazing how well it worked).