Thread: low iron levels and delivery

Exclamation low iron levels and delivery

hi,
    i'm not sure if i'm posting in the right spot or not. but i'm hoping someone can answer my ?

back in april i had my first iron infusion, my iron was at 5 and my hemaglobin was only 70 odd. in june i had another iron infusion which in july bought my iron up to 64 and my hemaglobin back up to 106.

i had my levels checked again last week and my iron is now back at 6 and my hemaglobin has only dropped to 104.

i've been taking iron tablets but so far that hasnt really helped.

anyway, my question is, if my ob doesnt give me another iron infusion now, what will happen after delivery?
    i've heard that if nothing is done now, a blood transfusion may be needed.

and DP is worried that the baby isnt getting enough iron from me and may become unwell.
    how would my levels also affect this?

any help would be great

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Most iron tablets aren't that good. Many midwives swear by floradix which has less side effects, absorbs quickly and more rapidly. You can get it from the chemist. It also contains vitamic c which helps iron absorb.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

There is a liquid iron supplement you could try I think it's called spa tone? Ask at your local health food store and don't be talked into buying tablets if they don't stock it. I know you can get it at Macro Whole foods here in Vic so if there's a Macro in Perth try there. It's very good but make sure you take it mixed with OJ as Kelly is right the Vit C in OJ greatly influences the absorbtion of iron into the body.

As for your results, be more guided by your Hb levels rather than your iron levels. The Hb represents the circulating iron in your body available for usage where as the iron is more indicative of your iron stores. As long as your circulating iron (ie Hb) is at OK levels you should be fine. I would try and increase my intake of lean meat though (unless you are vege) as this is the easiest way to boost your iron intake.

And one last thing don't drink tea at the same time you are taking any iron supplement as the tannins in tea actually work as an antagonist against the absorbtion of the iron. So if you take your supplement in the am have a glass of OJ but not a cup of tea.

Good luck Michelle, I hope all goes well for you.

I swear by SpaTone. You can also mix it with Berocca so you get the Vit C there plus your B's, and the extra Iron. It's absorbed easily and doesn't cause constipation. It's the only thing I could take during my pregnancy. I also ended up with the iron injections (5 weeks course) which finished the week I was due, and I still have the iron marks on my buttocks.

Hi Michelle,

I really feel for you hon - I have had issues with my HB and iron this year as well (hovering between 80 and 90). I was put on FeFol (iron and folate in a capsule) which did HUGE things for my levels. I jumped from 9.6 to 12.3 in two weeks (unheard of apparently). It is a pharmacy only product. Taking Vitamin C at the same time as having iron helps the body to increase absorption. You could also try increasing foods such as mushrooms, red meat, spinach etc. Mind you - after about a week I never wanted to see a mushroom again!

In regards to the transfusion, it may be what your body needs to stabilise those levels. It would happen post partum. Try not to worry about that. Obviously it is best if your body can rejuvinate these levels on it's own but sometimes we just need that transfusion to "kick start" those levels. It is very common for iron levels to drop post partum regardless of your pre-pregnancy/pregnancy levels. Docs don't like to give blood transfusions willy nilly (for various reasons) so rest assured that if it is suggested - it is needed and the best option for you.

HTH and hope your levels stabilize and increase really soon.

MG

thanks for all your advice. i'm not that worried about it at the moment, just a little worried about what the ob might say.

eating red meat and plenty of fruit and veg isnt a problem at all, if anything i eat too much!

my gp has said that my body just isnt absorbing the iron that is needed.

anyway, thanks again.