Thread: Manual turning of breech bub

Question Manual turning of breech bub

Just wondering if anyone has had this done or knows much about it?

It is not definite that bubba is totally breech (scan next Friday will tell) and bub may well turn or drop down properly way before I need to start really worrying but I just wanted to arm myself with some knowledge on this anyway. So far the mw's I have spoken to havent known a huge amount about it, just where I can go to get it done if and when the need may arise.

I want to know if it can harm baby for a start like what if the cord is around the neck preventing turning? Whats the likelihood of bub turning back to the comfy position it was in and what sort of success rate there is for this too. I just want to avoid a ceaser at all costs but am not really keen on giving birth breech either ow :eek:

Cheers
    Nets

Netty, my midwife was saying that some people are able to make their breech baby turn around by getting down on all fours and rocking back and forth. Not sure how long or often you have to do this for it to be effective though. I didnt really ask as my bub is not breech.
    Other than that I am really not sure on whether other ways can be bad for bub if the cord is in the way etc. I hope bub will turn on their own for you.

My sister was a breech birth, she had the cord around her neck 3 times, every everytime she tried to turn from bum down to head down, she got stuck half way. She got distressed and ended up having a c/s. But that was 16yrs ago, they should be able to do an u/s and see these things nowadays!!

Thanks Girls, I have got a phamplet thingy for exercises to do to help bub turn which I will be doing if we are definitely breech.
    What the mw's were talking about tho was King Edward Hossy actually use a scan machine so they can see what they are doing and manually turn the baby from the outside, thats what I am curious about.. it doesnt sound too good to me so was curious if anyone else had had this done or know anyone that has.

I have heard some things about manually turning bubs, but don't really know much about it so will refrain from sharing my limited info . Hopefully one of the midwives will see this and pop in to help you.

My little brother was breech and although mum was apprehensive, her OB encouraged her to deliver vaginally, which she did very successfully. She said it was soooo much easier than my birth and I was head down! She really wondered what she'd been worried about

Also, MeredithD gave birth to her her son, who was breech, not long ago. She tried everything under the sun (as far as I know!) to get Logan to turn, but was unsuccessful. She even changed OBs, and hospitals, so she could deliver naturally instead of having a caesar! As far as I remember she did it with no drugs too, what a star! Kelly may also be able to help you, she supported Meredith through her delivery.

Good luck, I hope someone can give you some accurate info on the manual turning. Have you done any net research?

Netty
    I have seen it done a few times. They like to do it from about 38 weeks for two reasons
    1 It can cause labour to start
    2 There is less chance that the baby will turn back.

First you will have an U/S to check the position of the baby. Often the OB will give you something to help you to relax. Then they cover your tummy with either gel or talc. The OB then puts 1 hand on the baby’s shoulder and the other hand on the bum. It is then just a matter of pushing with one hand and pulling with the other. Success rate is about 60% or perhaps a little better. It is a reasonably safe procedure. The main concern is that you will go into labour. There is also a low chance of foetal distress.

There i still time for your baby to get into the correct position.
    One trick I use for breech babies is to get mum to rest on elbows and knees for 20 mins each day. You can do this on the bed, floor, lounge, anywhere that is comfy.
    Another trick is to shine a bright torch on the lower part of your tummy also get a radio and put it low down on your tummy with music playing, also get your partner to put his head low on your tummy and talk to your baby
    You could also try acupuncture/pressure.
    Last edited by Alan; January 13th, 2007 at 08:43 PM.

Some great suggestion there Alan!! i conjured some funny images of people holding torches and radios to their tummy though! But if it works, great!!

Netty, I had the External Cephalic Version (ECV) attempted when I was pg with Noah. I had a trace done first to see how bub was, they stuck a patch on my stomach to stop my uterus from contracting and making it harder to turn him. And I had 2 Dr's trying to turn him, one at his bum and the other at his head. They pushed, pulled and manipulated and Noah did move, but only half way, he would not budge any futher. In the end they put him back where he was and booked me in for my caesar. I would suggest taking the panadol if they offer it to you as you get a filthy headache form the patch. Not right away but it will come.

I felt bruised on my stomach for the next few days. At the time I knew nothing of accupuncture or moxibustion and the likes but I would definately be giving that a go.
    Also have a look at the spinning babies website. They will have some fantastic ideas on there for you.

You could always try handstands in the water. And yes I am being serious. Apparently it works.

Goodluck hun and i hope all goes well with whatever you decide to do.

I was keen to try to birth Noah vaginally, but no Dr at the hospital would support me. What a shame I didn't put my foot down harder.

Awesome thanks everyone! I will wait and see what the scan shows next Friday. Bub is definitely along the bottom half of tummy just not sure exactly where the head is etc. I will try everything suggested starting with exercises and keep you posted on how it goes. Enjoy the rest of your weekend

My OB was pretty sure that Marieke was breech through the last weeks of my pg, and I was getting worried about delivery, because there is no doctor around here who will deliver a breech baby vaginally, and I didn't want a c-section! I was booked to see an OB who would perform an ECV, with careful monitoring of me and baby, (they use an ultrasound while they try to turn the baby, and a heart rate monitor) but when they did the initial ultrasound to see where she was, she was the right way! :biggrin: I never felt her turn, so I think my OB may have been mistaken about her position from the start.
    Anyways, I was also looking into whatever option I could find to get that baby to turn, and the spinning babies website has a lot of good suggestions. Also you can check around for a chiropractor who can perform the Bradley maneuver. (I think that's what it's called - can't remember for sure) That is an adjustment to your back/hip region that is supposed to encourage the pelvis to relax and allow the baby to turn on his own.
    All the best!

Righto, I am definitely going to look at the spinnning babies web site.. my chiro has been doing that maneuver for weeks and it hasnt worked even tho it works 80% of the time apparently!

Netty, how did the scan go hun ? Is bub still breech ??

Hey Trish
    Unfortunately the legs are straight so they reckon it is highly unlikely bubba will turn. I have tried acupuncutre (moxibustion sticks) which I am using daily now, swimming, shining a torch, playing music down there... thinking it must be a stubborn boy ha ha.. I have a Dr app tomorrow so will more than likely book for a ceaser for a few weeks time and in the mean time continiue to try and do what I can to make the baby turn. Problem is when the legs are straight and there isnt much room (or amnio) it makes it very difficult even if the baby wants to turn which sometimes I am sure bub is trying to do. I have decided to to not try the manual turn as there are risks involved and alot of people have told me negative things about it..havent heard one good story. Also they wont attempt it if there isnt much fluid there anyway. Its a shame, I really dont want a ceaser but at the end of teh day, getting the baby out happy and healthy is the most important thing.

Netty, sorry to hear that. Yup, must be a stubborn boy

I have heard the same things about there ot being enough amniotic fluid hindering a ECV. Shame bub won't just tuck it's legs up and head south for you hey.

You still have a few weeks yet, fingers crossed bub is nice and turns for you.

Goodluck hun