Thread: Massaging the perenium

Default Massaging the perenium

Ok I just read this mentioned in another thread... how does one eeerr go about this and how often etc. Did you do it and did it help?
    Cheers
    Nets x

Cheers Fletch...dont think DH will be too keen on that one LOL :eek:

Wonder how flexible I can be for this?

Hi Netty
    This is from one of my posts a few weeks ago. I hope it is useful

To help reduce the chances of tearing there are a few tricks you can try.
    Perineal massage- For a few weeks before the birth, at least a couple of time a day insert a couple of fingers into your vagina and stretch it until you feel a burning sensation and hold it there for a minute or so. In theory this I supposed to make the tissue around your vagina more elastic.

If you need any more advice just let me know

I am going to start this in a few weeks too (about 32w), pretty much as Alan has described. I've got some sweet almond oil ready to go and one of my PG books suggested adding a drop or 2 of lavender to it as it's supposed to help the skin's ability to stretch.

I mentioned it to my DH when I was PG with Kynan and he didn't sound too keen on it then so I think it's going to be up to me to do it LOL! I read somewhere that you can do it sitting up, which would probably make it easier to reach than if you were to try it lying down or reclining!
    Last edited by Angel; January 12th, 2007 at 11:34 AM.

The info given to me by my hospital suggested using olive oil or sorbolene cream....

Netty - I've got a written info thing on it that I can send to you if you like. If you email me your address I'll send it over. Or I can fax it to you when I get back to work on Monday....

Love MG

That would be great thanks MG, better not fax it, the girls on switch board might get an early education they arent ready for ha ha.. (they are all very young).
    I think I have your email at home so will email ya, cheers love! xx

I did this when I was pg with DS #1 as I was TOTALLY terrified of tearing & guess what??? IT WORKS!!! I basically did the same thing, I used a lubricant though & just applied some pressure with fingers & thumb & YES do it sitting up, much more manageable. Jessica's head was only 32cm which I believe is quite small but the m/w also massaged Jessica head out to help prevent tears. As embarrassing as it is, it was well worth it for me.

Cheers!!

Jayne xox

Actually there is huge and recent review of this on the Cochrane database that summarises all the studies done on perineal massage using hands and other machines like the Epi-no.

The study found that it does make a difference to tearing but only for first time vaginal births and that women who did perineal massage 1.5 times a week tore less than those who did it every day or more than once a day. In other words there is no advantage to doing PM every day or more than once a day. If it is your second or third child - you may as well not bother at all.

The massage should start at 35 weeks.

This is a bit of a change from what most antenatal classes are suggesting at the moment from what I can tell.

You can use any edible oil - eg almond or KY jelly. Some women do not need any lubricant. (I'm starting next week!).

Here's the extract:
    Antenatal perineal massage for reducing perineal trauma

Beckmann MM, Garrett AJ

This is a Cochrane review abstract and plain language summary, prepared and maintained by The Cochrane Collaboration. The full text of the review is available in The Cochrane Library (ISSN 1464-780X).

The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2006 Issue 4
    Copyright © 2006 The Cochrane Collaboration. Published by John Wiley and Sons, Ltd.

Date of last Subtantial Update: October 16. 2005

Plain language summary
    Antenatal perineal massage helps reduce both perineal trauma during birth and pain afterwards

Most women are keen to give birth without perineal tears, cuts and stitches, as these often cause pain and discomfort afterwards, and this can impact negatively on sexual functioning. Perineal massage during the last month of pregnancy has been suggested as a possible way of enabling the perineal tissue to expand more easily during birth. The review of trials showed that perineal massage, undertaken by the woman or her partner (for as little as once or twice a week from 35 weeks), reduced the likelihood of perineal trauma (mainly episiotomies) and ongoing perineal pain. The impact was clear for women who had not given birth vaginally before, but was less clear for women who had. There were no randomised trials on the use of massage devices. Women should be informed about the benefits of antenatal perineal massage.
    Last edited by Kar; January 12th, 2007 at 04:51 PM.

I recieved a pamplet all about it from my midwife! It says to do it the same way others have described, and also suggests using something like KY or olive oil.

Well it wouldn't be much good for me now then being number six coming!

I never teared with any of them, isn't it interesting that some do some dont I wonder why some dont.

I doubt I could do it anyway, never been one to touch myself and Dh wuldn't want to either, well he might I just ddint know this exsisted. I thought most Americans used this method.

Righto well I will try and reach around and do it 1.5 times a week LOL thanks everyone... gee you would be stuffed if your arms were really short and I wouldnt even consider asking DH LOL I can just see the look on his face :eek:

Netty lol, my DH scrunched up his face when the midwife suggested I asked him to help me with this. I think I'd rather do it myself anyway.

At our antenatal classes they suggested we try it at least once anyway in order to feel that burning sensation before the birth.
    They also said that partners can do it, but said don't expect to get anything out of it - it's really not very comfortable or romantic!

Thanks Caro for that info matey.. I did read that it is not necessary for births after the first.. maybe coz you have been there before and maybe bit more stretchable xx

Wish I knew it didn't *have* to be done each day for the last few weeks - I did it pretty much every day from 37 weeks onwards (Caty was born 40w 2d) and I felt pretty self conscious....locked myself in the bedroom with a sheet over my lower half in case someone came storming in! Hehehehe. I must say though, I reakon it helped a lot - I knew somewhat of the feeling of crowning so didn't freak out at the birth, and I only had a tiny tear that didn't need a stitch.
    I was given a pamphlet from the hossy about it (J&J one) and used KY jelly, sitting up.

Caro I meant coz you have gien birth before! LMAO