Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maternity pads

julesr Guest

Default Maternity pads

Hi all

I've been looking at maternity pads and I see there seem to be two types - a thinner one with wings and a thicker one with no wings and I'm not sure which ones to go for. I would have thought the wings would mean less mess but I'm wondering if the thicker ones might be more comfortable post labour.

Or is there really no difference and I'll be uncomfortable andor messy no matter what??

Thanks!

Hi Jules,

I remember there was a thread about this not long ago. Someone suggested that buly would give more "confidence" for the first few days post delivery but I guess it comes down to personal preference. Maybe buy both and take both to the hospital then if one suits you better post delivery you can continue with that one?
    I have a friend who told me that when I deliver to make sure I buy the ones that you can put ice in the bottom to help with any swelling etc. I guess that's something else alltogether though....

Jules - I had both but personally I prefer the thin ones with wings. I don't like the bulky ones, I always feel like I am wearing a nappy. I thought the 3 packets specified to take by the hospital was over the top too, but no way, you will need them! The wings protect your clothes and bed sheets a bit more too (sounds gross I know, but believe me there is a lot going on down there!). So my advice is to stock up, at least keep a couple of extra packets at home (along with a few extra packets of breast pads too), so someone can take in some more to you if you need them. It beats trying to send your partner to the supermarket trust me!

I used 3 types, the thick ones, the thin ones with wings and good nights. In the early days I used the goodnights in combo with the thick ones (extra length and lots of protection). After awhile I used the thick ones around home (did not have trouble with leakage) and kept the thin ones for going out.

Personally I have both packed in my bag. Usually I like the thin ones with wings but for the first couple of days I really appreciate the extra padding down there. The thick ones are also extra long so they provide good protection from leakage and of course are extra absorbent. Day 2 to day3 I use the the thins as my flow subsides. It's really a personal preference so I would take both and see what you think at the time. Godd luck.

I took both as well. I ended up using the ones the hospital provided and then went straight to the thin ones with wings. I found them more comfortable and they did protect my underwear and bedding a whole lot better! I think its definately a pesonal preference along with how heavy/light your blood flow is!

AND OMG Dee your 39 weeks.... where on earth did the time go???

I would recommend the thick ones for the first couple of days as bleeding can b e quite heavy. And as someone else said you can put ice in them.

Fruitwood Guest

Hi, I found that the Kotex ones were best for me post delivery as they were thicker and gave extra padding around my stitches. I found they were better for hopping in and out of bed with. It hurt less. Once I was home I switched over to libra maternity which were more comfy for around the house and wearing my normal clothes again. These are expensive though so I started using libra goodnights and found they worked just as well as the maternity ones and they have wings. I had a really light flow post delivery compared to friends but found that the stayfree ones I was given in the hospital weren't long enough when your lying down in the maternity ward. I hope you have a great delivery.

Best Wishes
    Sharon

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

I bought one packet of bulky ones and 3 packets of thin ones, and used the hospital ones while staying at the maternity ward.

I was in hospital for only 2 days so really was happy to use the bulky ones for 3-4 days, then when the stitches dissolved and I started feeling more 'normal' down there, I switched to the thin ones.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Oooh the thick ones were wonderful, they give you extra padding especially is you have an episiotomy which I had. They are also great apparently to use if your waters break at home especially if you use a couple of them.

I liked thicker ones with wings if you can find them LOL. I hate side leakage so the wings were great there and as some others have mentioned the extra padding of the thicker ones is good especially if you have stitches!

julesr Guest

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Think I'll pack a combo - love the suggestion of wearing the wing pad underneath!

And okay....I promise I'll take plenty LOL!

butterfly_kisses1 Guest

i found maternity pad pretty useless i used overnights alot
    even during the day

I used 2 thick ones at a time for the rest of the first day, tried thin ones, but were hopeless when the flow was faster. I then just used one at a time, and moved onto the thin ones just before leaving hospital.. about day 4?

I packed 2 packs of thick ones and 1 pack of thin.. didn't seem to use that many.. coz the hospital gave me some for the first day. I brought home one unopened pack of thick ones, and the rest of the thins. I was told to pack about 40 pads!?? I used nowhere near that. But I guess its something you don't want to run out of

I think you're best bet is to get one of each and see which you perfer. You can always send someone out to buy more of what you want. Otherwise you could possibly end up with a heap of maternity pads you're not going to use LOL!!

Also I was prepared for heavy flow/loss etc but I think I got away pretty lucky and it all stopped within 2 weeks. I ended up using about 2 packs of the thin maternity pads with wings all up plus what I used at the hospital!

HTH!

I preferred the big surfboard ones, they really soaked everything up, and you'll just be in comfy clothes or pj's at first so they should be comfortable.

I found the thick ones good for the early days & discovered the thin ones with my 2nd birth great for when I got home. But yes the night time winged ones are just as good IMO. I have thick ones left over from my last birth so I wont rush out & buy too many of those this time.

Cathybutterfly - Off topic but just noticed your DH's name is Simon. Mine too! Do you know (can you ask him) has he ever been called "Si"? My DH;s family calls him Si. I don't, to me its just a nick name his family call him. But DH says that it is a shortening of Simon just like Dave is for David or Steve is for Steven. Can you ask your DH if he agrees.....

I used the thicker ones for the first few days - the extra padding was good
    After a few days my bleeding slowed right down and then I changed to the thinner ones. I've got a pack of each in my hospital bag for this time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast