Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maternity Pads

Default Maternity Pads

Hey All,

Just wondering which brand of maternity pad is best/most comfortable after birth? I bought some thin Libra maternity ones, but have been told that the big thick mattress-like ones are more comfortable on the area, and are more effective in the early days after having given birth...

I want to stock up before the event - any advice anyone?

cheers

Juliette

Melinda Guest

I had both the thick surf-board type variety, and the thinner ones. The thinner ones I had were called "Libra Goodnights" which are for overnight use or for maternity use.

I had an emergency caesarean, so I didn't have any concerns about sensitivity "down there" but I can say that after using the great big bulky pad things that the midwives told me to use whilst in hospital (which they supplied) I was much happier to switch to the Libra Goodnights which I did a couple of days before I went home. They were a lot more comfortable for me.

I did buy some special maternity ones with wings etc, but found that absolutely the best ones were the cheap homebrand big thick pads!

They made me feel a lot comfier, a lot more secure and they were simply softer. Plus because I usually use tampons for AF, I found the post birth bleeding yukky, and living in a hot climate I was consious of feeling "smelly" all the time, so changed the pad really often, so the cheaper ones were heaps better too!

At the start when I had really heavy bleeding I used the thick surfboard ones. I felt more secure in them because in my case lochia was way heavier than any period, also I could cut a slit in them and put icypoles down to help things settle down a bit.
    When I stopped using the surfboards I just started using normal super pads and a nighttime pad at night.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I went the surfboards too. I bought Kotex Maternity for my first birth which I was happy with, and some ultra thins and Kotex Maternity for the second. As soon as I ran out of ultra thins I was only buying maternity as they felt so much more comfortable and supportive. It felt really weird with the ultra thins, hard to explain!!!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Kelly, I`ve brought 4 packs of Kotex Maternity so I`m glad that you`ve used them and where happy with them.

Take Care

Deeanne

icy poles?!?!?!

I read that you cut a slit in the pad a put icypole in it for relief, they fit nicely in there
    At hospital they gave me a chucks dishcloth that had been wet and folded up and frozen, i just used them they were great.

I used super huge surf board pads too, they did the job....

I had icepacks the first time around but the 2nd time i was offered Voltaren Suppositries...... they worked so much better than icepacks.

I too used Kotex Maternity for the first day or two then switched to Libra Maternity, as they are heaps longer.

Love

I have brought what ever has been on special offer. Anything to save money.

Juliette,

I'm a tampon girl too - and I'm freaked about the pad thing. I've bought 3 different sorts of pads and worded Shane up about the fact that once I have tried all three, he will be going out to get more of the ones I liek best.
    I have Libra maternity, Libra goodnights (which I've heard are good) and I think Stayfree maternity??
    Either way - I'm sure something will work, and they'll probably all be uncomfy anyway!!

Fi

Wow girls! Pretty good response!

Thanks for all your replies. I'm a stayfree ultra-thin girl normally (never been keen on tampons for some reason). I will stock up on surfboards I think.

Love the tip about the chux wipes Serendipity! Will have to take a packet to hospital and get them to freeze them for me!

Astrolady - thanks for the voltaren tip - I'll buy me some of those too!

I think it was libra goodnights that I used.
    The Voltaren suppositories were FABULOUS only problem was they gave me the runs so I had to stop. I swear while I used them there was no pain!

I used 2 Libra maternity pads at a time. My bleeding only lasted less than 2 weeks though. I find the thicker ones are way too uncomfy for me.

LESS THEN 2 WEEKS!!!! YOU LUCKY *****!

How did you use two at a time? :-k

I used the Kotex and libra ones too.

With the Voltaren stuff, I wonder if you could use them just before birth to lessen the pain of pushing the baby out?

I used the Kotex Maternity pads too, however i bleed that much that one wasn't enough for me I had to wear two at a time which was most uncomfortable as they are soooooooooo big.
    Stocking up is the way to go, i will be doing the same.

Take care Leah

Most say up to 5 -6 weeks but I bled for 11 with my first and about 9 with my second. Everyone is different though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast