Thread: May be a silly question but...

Akeesha Guest

Default May be a silly question but...

How painful is the pushing part of a labour?
    I got to experience labour with DD but not actually pushing her out..because she ended up in an emerg c/s. I know it's not easy..and probably quite painful...but I wanted to know from experienced women..because really, its something I dont know. I want honesty, and truth lol. It doesnt need to be sugar coated. Just want to hear your experiences with it and what that part of it was like for you.
    TIA
    Lisa

When I was in labour with Olivia the pushing part came upon me in the shower.......my legs went all wobbly then I had this incredible urge to push....like you push to do a huge poo? The pushing then became regular, through each contraction, and with the help of the midwife and Andrew and my OB who really encouraged me, I realised that you really have to breath right to gather enough strength to do really long pushes....that is when I realised that I had an extra reservoir of strength, IYKWIM? It was more the contractions that hurt. And when I pushed and her head crowned, the bit that hurt was the burning.

With Charlie, I was induced and the pushing only hurt becasue the contractions were so strong and fast. When he crowned it was a relief, and there was no burning. I was in a much better position (standing up) and he slid out like a bar of soap.....

Either way, labour hurt like hell, but I still have a big smile on my face at recollecting both my labours.......
    HTH?

I agree with Lucy, the pushing has alot to do with the breathing. As you push out breathe out, then take a big breath in and repeat. You may be able to get two breaths in in one contraction also. But your midwife and husband will help with that bit as sometimes you forget to take a breath in as your concentrating on pushing.

The crowning is more like a burning. I've been thru it three times and my last time only took 3 pushes and my DS came out. Don't worry instinct will take over and you will know what to do when the time is right.

Good Luck

To be quite honest i don't remember the pain, lol. Maybe that's why i want to go it again! I do remember i never felt the burning sensation though. I had an assisted delivery with the vacuum and I never felt her head come out actually. But the part i do remeber hurting was when her shoulders came out, i felt like my pubic bone was gonna break, that felt worse than the contractions, but that's because her shoulders got stuck and the doctor had to reach in and grab her arms to get her out. Not pleasent!

THe pushing part for me was 30 minutes, but it was the WORST part, as the pain didn't stop. I found it awful, but IM going back for more!!

For me the contractions were the most painful part. Dont get me wrong, pushing is hard stuff, and you really need to PUSH (easier said than done when you cant imagine that coming out!). Aidan was 9pounds9ounces and I managed to push him out naturally. I remember just moaning 'its stinging, he's hurting me' (I knew I was having a boy) but I also remember thinking the stinging aint as bad as those horrible contractions!

Good luck, it is an amazing experience and your body will know what to do, and dont forget to REALLY push when the time comes.

kerry Guest

Lisa,

I can't answer your question but from your ticker guess you are due in january Belly Buddies... why not come over and have a chat in the due in Jan thread... you are more than welcome and we would all like another person to join our merry band.