Thread: Migraines and labour

Default Migraines and labour

Does anyone know if migraines are an indicator of labour approaching, especially in women who normally get migraines related to hormonal changes? My sister is due today and for the past three mornings, she has woken up with a migraine. She usually gets them during the first trimester of pregnancy, and during her cycle, but not otherwise. She has also had BH contractions regularly for the past three weeks, and they seem to be getting stronger. The doctor says she is about 1cm dilated, and somewhat effaced, so she's got to be getting close - we just want to know if there is any way to tell HOW close! Thanks!

Well, she just called me and said she's going in to the hospital now - one day after her due date. Maybe the migraines were an indicator - who knows.
    Here's hoping and praying for an easy, quick, safe delivery for her and baby! :biggrin: I'd love to go with her, but our family isn't really in to that sort of thing. Oh well - I'll be waiting by the phone. :biggrin:

I had a shocker the day I went into labour with Jovie, felt fluey with a bad headache. I get migranes from muscle strain but I didn't have a migrane.

I don't know if they are an indicator, but when I first read your thread title, I thought you were going to ask about what happens if you get a migraine during labour, which is what I've been stressing about lately. I'd love to know how your sister goes during labour and if her migraine is still a problem or not.

I get hormonal migraines, which got really really bad in first trimester, but have slacked off now thank goodness. I've actually got in my birth plan that I want pain relief if I get a migraine during labour, but not for labour itself IYKWIM. Unfortunately, aspirin usually does the trick for me, but I'm assuming I couldn't have that during labour due to the risk of bleeding.

Cherie I suffer from debilitating hormone migraines as well. Thankfully they settled down about 15 weeks. But my biggest fear when I was in labour with my kids, I kid you not, was if I got a migraine during it. I was so terrified of it, that I knew I would never ever have an epidural as I had heard things about the spinal headache someone can get afterwards, if I had to get a c-section I wanted a general, I was a bit irrational looking back lol. I can handle any other pain okay even labour, but not a migraine.

When it came to it, because I didn't have any drugs at all, my adrenalin and pheremones kicked in really strong and a migraine wouldn't have had a chance to start anyway.

For me they stayed away till I finished BFing and my periods returned, I hope they do the same for you.

I hope I haven't gone on, just wanted to let you know you aren't the only one to worry about this and how it worked out for me.

They can be such awful things those migraines!

Mamaof2 - exciting news about your sister!!!

Baby girl born 5am today - all is well with mum and bub. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
    Hannah Margaret, 7lb 7oz. Haven't heard any more - will go visit my sister later this afternoon, after she has had a chance to sleep!

BTW, no migraine yesterday, just contractions for most of the afternoon - mild and about fifteen minutes apart - we went shopping to keep them going. Settled into regular 5 minute apart contractions by around 7:00pm, and baby was here 10 hours later. So I'm thinking the migraines were a sign that her body was getting ready, but thankfully there was no issue during labour.