Thread: my idea for ob training

Lightbulb my idea for ob training

I have been thinking about the training that obs recieve at medical school and it has occured to me that as part of thier training they should all have thier appenixes removed (the old way - no keyhole surgery). It should be done at a totally random time during thier studies and afterwards they would be expected to get back into the swing of things as rapidly as possible. If they complained they would lose marks. I'm not suggesting this to be cruel to them but to increase thier empathy. My brother had an emergency appendix removal at about the same time that Imran was born and his recovery time was quite similar which is what made me think of it. If all obs had to experience an operation on thier stomach and the recovery afterwards maybe they would be less likely to recomend them and our c-section rate would be lowered.

very interesting dach!

Teehee & all of our DH's can have the balls crushe din a vise so they can feel the pain of birthing a child. Just so next time round they don't say "have you prepared yourself this time, i don't think you mentally coped very well last time"

Ah its a very un-preparable pain!

Great idea Dach!!

Fiona, please tell me your DH did not say that to you???

Maybe not in those exact words, it was awhile ago now, but yep pretty much!

Right on Chloe!
    I can still remember how much in pain I was after having my burst appendix removed when I was 16 :eek:

Yup I had mine removed too around 15 or so.

Fiona, I hope you throttled him. I bloody would have!!

Good idea, Dach, only I remember being taken care of and fussed over for 2 weeks after I had my appendix out at 12. Not getting up several times a night to breastfeed!

When DH had his appendix out ("as much pain as giving birth" - his words) and was completely coddled for the month before and the 2 months afterwards. If I didn't have to nag him just to shove a vacuum round now whilst I clean up his scum from the bath (aren't bleach fumes bad when pg anyway?) then sure, go for it, but they'll just tell you they've been in more pain and were back to "normal" straight away, as my DH does, and forgets all the whinging he still does about it. If I just had the last month pre-labour completely off, to lie in bed and watch TV/sleep, whilst my food was brought to me, what I wanted when I wanted, all the housework done; then the same for 2 months post-birth... that ain't going to happen, men will never understand. And the meanie didn't want me taking scar progression pictures either, like I did when I had my feet done. How can you not want scar progression pics done every week? He won't take belly progression pics for me either.

But good idea, maybe just my DH is the useless one! Saying that, maybe he could compete with FionaJill's husband... they sound similar in "stupid things to say to pg women" ability. I'd be smacking your DH one too, Fiona!