Thread: Need help and advice

Default Need help and advice

I had my first midwife appt today and she informed me that i will end up having another c-section as i have had two already.

I want to find out enough information on VBAC before my next appt at 20wks which i should see a OB then and hopefully he will say i can have a VBAC. But i want to know as much as possible in the next 8wks so i can take it too them.

Are you having shared care, and do/did you get to choose your OB?
    Some are more pro VBAC than others.

I know there are some members on the site who have had a VBAC though, so hopefully one/some of them cab help you.

good luck!

Hey Michelle

There is an article on the main site about VBAC's found HERE.

There was also a great VBAC site I stumbled across one day when I was googling hospitals. I will try and find it again and PM you the link!

HTH

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I have just posted a couple of articles here in the labour section about some VBAC studies, saying there is extremely little difference in terms of risk, but the more c/s you have, the higher the risks for complications for you, e.g. hysterectomy, blood loss etc

If you have the courage, tell them that you want a VBAC and you need their support or you will go elsewhere - take the articles if you like as a reason why you have done this and to show it was an informed choice.

I have been privvy to some information which I am awaiting confirmation to give specifics and to announce, but in a Melbourne hospital, two midwives refused to give birth there and demanded support from the hospital for homebirths recently. The hospital complied and the homebirths were done through the hospital. Tells you something when the midwives don't want to give birth in their own hospitals And what power we do have when we want something. We are not there to comply to their standards and be good little women. We are powerful women giving birth in a less than ideal environment and society and if we want something, we have to fight for it. Talk about taking away women's rights - once we couldn't vote, work, etc but now we can't choose the way we want to give birth?! Pffft rubbish.

What are they going to do, not look after you? A good story for ACA
    Last edited by BellyBelly; July 21st, 2006 at 08:21 AM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Rachael I am going public and because of my pre-eclampsia history i have all my care done at the hospital.

Kelly i will print of as much information as i can and take it with me. I'm hoping it was just the midwife saying it and when i get to see a OB he/she will say i can try VBAC but i want to fight this if he doesn't.
    It's silly when i had only had one i was given the choice but now with having two and being in a differnet state it's all different.
    Also we might want to go on to have 4 kids and like you said Kelly the more c-sections you have the higher risk of having problems.

Thank you so much for all your help.

My best friend has gone on to have 3 vaginal births after an emergency c/s with her first. Good luck.

Michelle, i am in the very same position, i had c-sections with the boys, and when i told my midwife and ob that i wanted a vbac this time they laughed at me!
    I'm struggling to find anyone who will help me achieve this, so i hope you have better luck sweetie

Have both of you thought of hiring your own private midwives? As far as two being 'hard to get' there was a woman who had a VBAC after 5 or 7 caesareans in a Canberra hospital. Remember all these articles I have posted - but if you can, get yourselves a private midwife to advocate for you and give advice. While a private midwife cannot catch your baby in a hospital, she can do everything else... definitely worth it if you want this. If you want more info get onto the Maternity Coalition or MIPPS (Midwives in Private Practice). I find it appalling that they laughed at you... which hospitals are you going to?
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

zaari Guest

Smile

Hi Ladies

I'm a 3rd year midwifery student in Adelaide. I had a VBAC in 2002 (at a private hospital with a very high CS rate). I could not have done it without the information and support offered by CARES SA. Suggest you check out their website for info, then head to one of their meetings. You will get hands on info about how, who, what you need and don't etc. In WA check out their website is wonderful too, but can't vouch first hand for their support groups.

To achieve a VBAC (Let alone VBA2C) you need info, determination, planning. You need someone else in that labour room with you (midwife, student, doula). CARES (and prob Birthrites) can help you with all this.

Good luck - it can be done. But if it doesn't work out, you need to feel you gave it your best shot.

Kate

zaari Guest

OK, just notified that I can't have links. So, if you're in SA, search for CARES-SA. If in WA search for BIRTHRITES. It's worth the effort.

Kate

Kelly, i am going to Flinders medical centre where i had the boys, i was kind of expecting that reaction so i just informed them that it's what i want and if they didn't like it i would find someone else, they still try to talk me into having a repeat c-section and have tried 3 times to book a date, but i'm having none of it.
    Unforunately i don't think we an afford a private midwife or i would have looked into it more, plus i can't find one at this end of town

Michelle, I asked a midwife what she thought:

"Our major tertiary hospital KEMH, has done this at woman’s insistence. No one can drag a woman to the theatre if this is not what she wants."
    Kelly xx

zaari Guest

Naomi

A private midwife can be expensive. So, look into getting a student. Just having someone who can be your advocate can help you and give you peace of mind. While no one can guarantee a VBAC, you can increase your chances by being prepared, informed and well supported. Again, chase up CARES.

Kate

zaari Guest

Michelle

Do you have any way of manipulating which OB you see? Sometimes you can manage it by having your appointments on a certain day. Linda McKendrick is quite supportive of VBAC - not sure about VBA2C. Women like her or struggle with her. She's very no nonsense and she makes it clear she's in charge. But if she supports your decision, you have a good chance of getting there.

Kate

Any midwife or obstetrician who laughs at a woman's request (whether it be VBAC, Home Birth, Water Birth or anything else for that matter) shows complete disrespect for the woman, and should be ditched. How can you trust someone who laughs at your requests? We must remember that these people provide US with service. Without consumers, they would have no job.

If at all possible. go to another hospital or birth centre and explain before you meet with anyone, that you wish to meet with someone who will support you to have a VBAC.

The evidence of the safety of VBAC exists and is extensively listed on the CARES website amongst others.

With all the best for an empowered birth.

David

hi
    you can have a VBAC i had one 2 weeks ago, i was induced and my DD was prostier (spel) she turned whilst in labour and i had a farily good labour.

Just want to say Michelle and Naomi, goodluck on finding someone who will support your VBAC decisions.

Remember it is your body and your baby, no one can force you to go under the knife. Don't be suprised if they pull out all stops on the scare tactics. Information is power, go in fully armed and have an answer back for them. It's great to catch them on the backstep

I too had a hard time finding a hospital that would let me birth in their birth centre's as I wanted a water birth, I was considered "high risk" so it wasnt allowed. I went a thousand steps better and did it at home

Kelly thanks for that information about the KEMH if i have no luck at my local hospital then i will ask to be transfered to them.

Naomi have you thought about going to the women's and children's i know it's a bit far from you but when i was there having my last m/c it was something i asked the OB that was looking after me and they said they would let someone try VBAC after having 2 c-sections. Maybe see if you can get an appt with them and see what they say.
    I hope you are able to have a VBAC.

I'm not due to see a OB at the hospital now until 20 weeks. Hopefully i have enough information by then also i am going to contact BIRTHRITES and see what they have a meeting next and i will go to that.