thread: Not your average day @ 30wks...

  1. #1
    BellyBelly Member

    Oct 2004
    Outer Eastern Subs - Melb

    Not your average day @ 30wks...

    Those who might have been reading the due in June/July thread might have seen that I hit 30 weeks yesterday, and it was at this point that I thought it was time to look ahead to plan for the impending birth of our child.

    I decided it was time to think about what to pack in my bag/baby's bag for hospital, what to do with my DD, make sure baby's room was ready, birth plan, etc etc. Little did I know how important this would be.

    This morning 30w+1 I woke with a pinkish discharge. Hmmm, ok. What to do... Pulled out What to Expect when You're Expecting to get a few ideas. In the end I called the midwives at the hospital for their advice. They suggested I put on a pad, and got ready as usual - breakfast, shower, dressed etc then to call them back to let them know how I was going.

    I called them back after about an hour to tell them that the discharge was continuing and that my belly felt quite tight. I wasn't constantly tight, but was tight while I was on the phone and also when I was in the shower. They suggested I come in to see them. No problem, dropped DD at school and headed to the hospital, envisaging I'd be there for 30 mins or so and head off to work.

    Well that was fine in theory until they put me in a delivery room to put me on a monitor and started taking my obs. Blood pressure fine, temp, fine, pulse fine, baby's heart rate fine, uterine contractions.... approx every 10 mins!!!! What the...???? Stayed on the monitor for over an hour, watching and feeling the contractions increase in severity and decrease in time between, down to approx 4-5 mins. And definitely not Braxton Hicks. Holy Cow!

    Fortunately after few more tests, they confirmed that waters hadn't broken, nor had my cervix dialated. However the contractions were still with me. They gave me a brief on worst case scenario - can't stop contractions, cervix dialates/waters break, get transferred via ambulance to Monash, Mercy or the Womens as they have NICU beds (neonatal intensive care unit). Box Hill has a Level 2 special care nursery and I'd be needing a Level 3 if they couldn't stop the contractions and I was going to deliver.

    After several more hours and some Panadeine Forte to try and slow the contractions, they seemed to think the drugs were working (and so did I cause I couldn't feel regular contractions.)

    More test, more time and less contractions, they finally sent me home around 4.30pm - 7 hours later, with strong recommendations to keep an eye on what was happening, and if there were any more contractions or any more discharge to call IMMEDIATELY.

    Since I've been home I've been feeling OK. Not great, uterus is still fairly tender. I don't think I've have any more contractions, but I'm certainly aware that they may happen. Or not. OB & Midwives were happy for me to go to work tomorrow, so I guess I will be.

    My suggestion to you all... Pack your bag! You can never be prepared too early. Fortunately I didn't need it, but as soon as I can, I'm heading out to the shops to buy a new nighty/pyjamas and I'm packing my bag. Hopefully I won't need it and this little one stays put for another 10 weeks. If not, I'll be ready.

    Gotta say, not your average day at 30 weeks.

  2. #2
    Custardtart Guest

    Oh wow! What a day! Please take care of yourself, it's time to pamper Mummy for a change.


  3. #3
    BellyBelly Member

    May 2004

    Holly cow, Rachel, I hope everything will be ok with you and bubs. Take extra easy from now on.

  4. #4
    BellyBelly Life Subscriber

    Jul 2004

    Wow! I'm glad you and bubs are ok. How very scary for you.

  5. #5
    Breastfeeding mummy extraordinaire

    Sep 2004
    Sydney's Norwest

    Good to hear that everything is ok at the moment. Maybe you should listen to your body and slow down alittle. Here's to another 10 weeks of growing bub.

    Take care

  6. #6
    Ex adm!n, quietly rusting....

    Feb 2004

    Rachel, glad to here that the little bub has decided to stay put for the time being. Maybe Trish is right & you need to slow down a bit....

  7. #7
    BellyBelly Life Member

    Aug 2003
    Karingal, Vic

    Rachel how scary. Take care of yourself and you little one.

  8. #8
    Platinum Member

    Nov 2004

    I couldn't believe what I was reading Rachel, you poor thing! How scary to be having contractions and possibly being rushed to Monash/Mercy. Take it easy and look after yourself and bubs!

  9. #9
    BellyBelly Member

    Jul 2004

    What a day! You poor thing. Make sure you rest up and take it very easy!
    Glad everything is ok now and I hope that bub stays put for another 10 weeks! [-o<

  10. #10
    Registered User

    Aug 2004
    Hunter Valley, Wine Country, NSW

    Rachel - What a scare you must have had, hopefully your little one will stay where he/she is for the next 10 weeks.

    Take Care


  11. #11
    BellyBelly Life Member

    Jul 2004
    House of the crazy cat ladies...

    Oh Rachel! Your poor thing! How stressful and scary for you!

    I hope things are much better today and that your little one looks like staying put for another 10 weeks. Please rest up and take it easy!

  12. #12
    Melinda Guest

    Hooley dooley, that would have been a HUGE fright!! I hope you are able to rest up and take care of yourself and that your little one stays put!!

  13. #13
    BellyBelly Life Member

    Nov 2003

    OMG how scary for you Rachel!! Fingers crossed your little one stays in there for quite a few more weeks yet!

    Take care.

  14. #14
    Pietta Guest

    Lots of rest and relaxation for you!!

    Wow you poor thing- that must have been terrible.
    I am glad you are okay and at home now.

    Take Care

  15. #15
    ok take 2 of going back to work.....

    Nov 2004
    Giving the gift of life to a friend..

    Ok I say relax, relax, relax, relax!!!!!!
    I hope you are relaxing! =;

  16. #16
    BellyBelly Member

    Oct 2004
    Outer Eastern Subs - Melb

    Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and recommendations.

    So far - since Tuesday - everything has been quiet. No more contractions, taking it easy but still working.

    I'm carrying so much lower than I was before so I think I'm starting the pregnant waddle. Everyone tells me that I'm much lower. Don't know what it means, but as long as Squishy stays put for a bit longer I'll be happy.

    And I've got a bag packed in the boot of my car, just in case it happens again, I'm admitted and we can't stop the contractions. (It's a bit exciting really, but nerve wracking all the same)

  17. #17
    BellyBelly Member

    May 2004

    Hi Rachel,

    I am so glad everything has been going well since your last post. Good to hear you are taking it easy. All the best with the rest of your pregnancy.

    LOL @ having the pregnant waddle now.

  18. #18
    katanya Guest

    Hi Rache l,

    I know how scary this happening @ 30 weeks because something similar happened to me at exactly the same time in my pregnancy.

    I started bleeding brown blood at home and because I'd had some before earlier in my pregnancy and ignored it, the GP told me next time to come see her or go to the hospital. So I rang the labour ward and explained my situation, they said that everything was probably fine but to come in anyhow.

    The did an external exam and took a swap of the blood, which was starting to get heavier, and decided I should stay overnight for observation. Within an hour of getting to the ward I started hemorraging bright red blood, and the nurses went into panic mode and the drs were called. (I felt fine mind you) I was told they were going to give me steriods and that if they couldn't stop the bleeding they might have to transfer me to brisbane for a c-section (same sitution no level 3 NICU at the Gold Coast) luckily after awhile it all slowed down and everything was fine, no contractions thankfully.

    I spent 2 nights there terrified my baby would come out that early, and wondering if he/she would survive, it was horrible.

    I went home and packed my bag (I wasn't prepared at all) and just counted the weeks praying he'd make it to 35-36 at least.

    Turns out he engaged @ 34 weeks, and then the stubborn little boy stayed there for another 7 weeks..induced @ 13 days overdue..those steriods certainly worked well!

    So be assured sometimes things can inexplicably happen, and even afterwards you can return to a normal pregnancy!

    Fingers crossed your little one stays in there a little bit longer!