Thread: OK...I have to ask...possibly TMI territory

julesr Guest

Default OK...I have to ask...possibly TMI territory

Really sorry, but I just have to know...my mum told me that she was shaved by a nurse prior to giving birth :eek: ...do they still do that??? Or is this very outdated now?

I can't imagine anything worse than putting up with itchiness along with all the other post-birth discomforts and would much rather have a "pre-emptive" Brazilian! Or is this not an issue?

chelleg Guest

Definately an outdated practice! The only reason a midwife could come at you with a shaver is if you had to have an emergency c/s and if there was time we would try clip along the pubic hair line but other than that we wont be doing any shaving!

LOL, my mum told me about how she was shaved with us girls.
    Don't worry, the stuurps are also not common place anymore, much to MIL's surprise with my first labour/birth. Oh and as far as I know (personal exp) they don't routinely give you an enama either.

eek! I'm glad you guys are saying it's out-dated, that would be too strange!

yup, normally on if you're going to have a c/s.

Also, some hospitals are telling mums to be that they can't get waxed donw there after 36 weeks, as theres an infections risk? Not sure - I have a bikini wax at 38 weeks just in case I needed an emerg. c/s as I didn't want to be shaved!

Hi,

yeah i always have it clean shaven/waxed anyway.but i definatly wouldnt want a nurse shaving for me!!

yeah and like everyone else said they do shave you before a c/section

Yep, I'm 'well groomed' down there as well,

I was short down there anyway, but I have no idea if they shaved me or not! I think I was slightly preoccupied with other things Liek a beautiful baby to look at!
    I was in a theatre with my legs in stirrups, and a curtain across, so like I say - who knows.

Kelly has a great waxing for birth article on the main site. I had an emergency c/s & they didn't even shave me then, only the line where the incision was. So only around an inch all up of hair was shaved...I had done a clipper shave beforehand though anyway.

Melinda Guest

I didn't get shaved at ALL for my emergency c/s so you can imagine how distressing it was to have the tape removed from over the incision............NOT GOOD!!! I wish there had have been time to do it!!! Thank goodness there will be next time!

But no, it's not a standard practice to shave.....

I imagine the nurses are also relieved when we arrive with brazilians.....
    I wonder what type of infection you could get....ingrown hairs? That would be all surely...and that's hardly a life and death situation?!

julesr Guest

What a relief...I thought it sounded a bit medieval LOL! (FionaJill...thanks for the extra reassurance on the stirrups and enema...I got told that one too...but for some reason it was the image of a nurse/midwife brandishing a razor that I found particularly alarming!!)

Things are always tidy down there anyway but I might take it up a level just prior to EDD so that I'm prepared for any eventuality! Can't imagine what infection issues there would be though...I have actually heard that before...anyone got any insight on that one?

Yup, my hospital gave all pregnant women phamplets requesting that no waxing or shaving is done 'down there' after 36wks IIRC? I would have liked to have neated up but was scared of getting into trouble! *LOL* I never did get a chance to ask why they have this practise.

HI,

Hmm..thats really strange ive never heard of waxing giving u an infection,
    I actually wouldve thought that it would be better and more hygeinic ,because the amount of filth that comes out of you during labour you would be glad not to have hair obstructing your cleaning after!!!
    i guess its something to look into
    Last edited by rurumummy; July 29th, 2006 at 10:29 PM.

Birthinghands Guest

Default Infection

Well the only thing I am aware of is in the case of operations etc that the closer the shave of the area to the time of the operation the better it is for reducing flora growth. That is to say that if you are having an operation that the shave should be as close to having the operation as possible.
    As a midwife with regard to birth I haven't heard of any such nonsense at all.

Nigel

Reminds me of after I had Aidan and needed my stitches. My Mum doesn't normally say much but she thought she was 'in the know' and said to the midwife, 'so I suppose she will need the ray lamp to help those stitches?'. The young midwife practically scowled at her and said 'no, we dont use that any more, they are dissolveable stitches'. My poor Mum!!

I was booked in for a c/s and made sure I had a brazilian the day before! I think I would have tried to time it either way, c/s or no.

The midwife who came in to get me ready for the op was glad I had it done, especially since my ob leaves the dressing on for a couple of days and doesn't have any external stitches.

As for the risk of infections, what the??? I've had brazilians done before and never got any infection. You can get ingrown hairs, but you can get those from shaving.

Nope, think that is old fashioned. I had some of my top pubes shaved, but it was only coz I had an emergency c-section.