Thread: Was ours a unique experience?

Default Was ours a unique experience?

I am just curious if anyone has experienced midwives similar to one of mine during their labour.............

I had the same midwife for all of my first stage, which was 8 hours at the hospital. Apart from a couple of checks, and I *think* she popped her head around the door a couple of times, she basically left us alone. We loved it, my DH was the most wonderful support imaginable, and I can't imagine having someone with us the entire time now. I really feel that it was a special time for us, and we really had everything under control, just the two of us. I think it contributed largely to my first stage, with a posterior bub, going so smoothly and relatively quickly.

A few people, including midwives, have expressed surprise when I have mentioned this, so I'm thinking now that it might not be normal. All of my friends seem to have had someone with them all of their labour too.

So, anyone else had this?

My first labour was my longest and yes we were left alone quite a lot. It wasn't till it got serious that there was someone with us more often.
    For Calebs birth because it was happening very fast the midwife was with me the majority of the time but she would pop out for a min or two to check on the other girl in labour in the room next to me.

I had someone with us the whole time, But I was 8cms dialtaed when I got to hosp, and it was 3 hours in between arriving and giving birth. I loved my middies tho. They were fantastic!

Enchanted Guest

I had a mw there the whole time but that was because I was induced and I had to be continually monitored! She was amazing though... I would love for next time (all going to plan) that DH and I could be left on our own as much as possible.

Sounds like you DH is amazing Sez!

We had 2 midwives (plus a student) with us - one for the first stage who just popped in to check every half hour or so, but for the last couple of hours, we had the student all the time and the senior most of the time. When the senior was with us she was very quiet and didn't interfere - she was wonderful and just what we wanted. She did stay with me during the bath, my DF and support person weren't too sure about the bath so stayed outside chatting to the student

Initially we were left alone, it wasn't until I was induced that a midwife was with us at all times. She was monitoring the drip, contractions and bubs. It didn't bother me either way. She didn't really say much at all, only if I asked q's.

I had someone with me the whole time, and the "whole time" lasted 34 hours! The only real break we had from a constant presence was during the night when the midwife came and went quite a bit, and for when I went for a wander around the corridors. I was induced though with high blood pressure so they had to keep a pretty close eye on me. I love the idea of what you had Sez - would have been nice to have a bit more privacy.

We were left alone also. My midwife was great like that. She just said to keep doing whatever I'd been doing at home. Mind you I had a doula as well as DH so that probably helped.

I have alway had a midwife the whole time but thats beacause I have my babies very quickly so they dont have time to leave and have a coffee.lol

We were left alone when I had Matilda - the midwives were great, I had one pop in a couple of times to check on me and then she stayed when I was in transition and I had another midwife come in at that stage to help. I found I had all the support when I needed it most - which was the pushing stage. Before that I found that I was coping perfectly fine on my own.

We were also left alone. I liked it that way. The midwife only came in a few times - basically just to check we were ok and also when we pressed the button to call her in. We arrived at 2am though so I dont know if that makes a differnce. My DH and my Mum were there with me though - i think at some point one of them went out for a sleep on the couch in my room. The only time the midwife stayed was when I was pushing. I liked that she wasnt hovering the whole time.

Every labour is different, so yes, yours was unique.

As for the first stage, I saw a midwife at 12noon (labour started at 7, I got to the hospital at 9), 4pm, a telling off at 7pm, 9pm, 2am, 3am (these last 2 were me finding a midwife), 4am for another telling off, then 2-3 times before 8am, when I was 8cm. After about 10am (9.5cm) full-time midwives, started pushing at 10.30, DS born 4.15.

We were pretty much left alone for the first 6 hrs, then the syntocinon was put up and I had someone with me pretty much the whole time from then on I think.

my first baby was like that. I can't remember when the MW who delivered my son came on duty but I don't remember anyone but her anyways, she stayed out of the room or in the background till I was pushing and even then I can't remember her being "there" I still think about her over 8 years later..

Thanks for your replies everyone. Sounds like it's pretty mixed then, and dependent on the situation.

I just always assumed that women were mostly left alone until the 'business' end of birth. It was having midwives express surprise when I mentioned it that made me think maybe I was wrong. And lucky to have had such an experience . I hope next time is as good.....how do you nicely put in your birth plan "we just want to be left the hell alone"? LOL

i has about four midwives changeover, but they were in and out, and for the last 12 hours or so i had one the whole time, and during the last few hours i had about 3 or 4, and a doctor, and all sorts of people rushing in and out....