Thread: a painful vaginal exam

cathy Guest

Default a painful vaginal exam

Ouch!! Thats all i can say last night went to have a vaginal exam at the hospital to see if my waters were broken and the midwife used a speculum to check for infection and i was screaming in pain its normally not that bad just uncomfortable but last night my insides just felt so bruised i couldnt handle that speculum up there i felt so sore!!! Has anyone else ever felt this really bruised feeling in there? It felt really tender i just wanted it out i dont know if maybe it was sore coz i tensed up a bit or maybe i do have an infection???? During labour do they use the speculum again or is it just an internal with their fingers gosh i hope so coz if im feeling bruised again i will be in tears. DH holding my hand was great but didnt remove the pain!!! aggghhhhh someone please give me some good news or inspiration. Ouch..................................

](*,)

I have only had internals with fingers during labour and even when i had one at 37wks it was with fingers.

Love

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I remember the first exam I had in hospital with Elijah (the first time I went in and was monitored) was much more painful than when she checked me at 8-9 cms. I don't know why but I couldn't hold still and it hurt!!! Must ask Dr. Nick why that might be,
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I only ever had one internal late on..........by my OB, and it was when I was 9cm dilated and it hurt do mich I nearly kicked him in the face........no idea why, as I must have been quite wide IYKWIM, but it was incredibly painful adn my instinct was to pull away from him, wheras usually I am quite calm about such things...........

I had an internal with fingers at 4cm dilated and it bl***y killed me.

You poor thing the speculum would've been really bad too......

After my internal they asked me if I wanted to change my mind re the csection I said no way call the surgeon....

Apparently it hurts more when your cervix is dilated or effaced because it's so much more tender than normal.

hmmm...I had a few internals near the end and the ones that hurt were when he nearly shoved his whole hand up there! I had a tilted cervix & he had to manouvere a bit to feel anything... that hurt but for me once labour started I didn't notice a thing...LOL