Thread: Physiological 3rd stage

Default Physiological 3rd stage

Just wondering if positioning matters if you're trying to have a natural 3rd stage (is upright better)? Also, I know breastfeeding helps the uterus expel the placenta but is there anything else you can try if it looks like the placenta might be a bit stubborn? Clary sage oil is supposed to be good for enhancing contractions so I'm guessing it might be useful for this stage as well??

Also, how long would you wait before considering having the injection (providing you're not bleeding excessively)?

My m/w is very supportive of me trying for a physiological 3rd stage but was saying that recently she had a woman who was approaching an hour after birth and still no placenta and it's around then that she would suggest the injection.

Angel, not sure on positioning, but I guess that like giving birth to a baby, upright would be better.

Tehya's placenta took 40 minutes to be birthed after she was born. I had a physiological 3rd stage and there was no problems with it coming away either.

Goodluck hun, not long to go now.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I've not seen any stubborn placentas at all so you will likely be fine - as long as bubby has all his cord blood, it's okay if needed after. Sometimes women just stand up and it plops out. Upright is good, I have had lots of great outcomes with the partner sitting in a couch and the woman squatting between his legs, when pushing has been taking some time or placenta - very effective... can be tiring so stand or sit between them, but doesn't take very long with the women I have supported doing that.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

melissa.r Guest

I think that patience is the key to third stage. If you are having your baby in a hospital they tend to want to hurry things along to get you out of the delivery suite and into the ward. I was induced with my first but did not deliver the placenta for about 1 1/2 hours and it was a little longer with my second baby (my homebirth babe). Both times I breastfed my baby and cuddled my baby while waiting. Both my placentas required a gentle pull on the cord and then after a few pushes came out on their own.

Thanks Trish, Kelly & Melissa!

Angel - I was sitting for the first 5mins or so, then lying down for 15mins or so before the midwife talked about delivering the placenta. She just gave it a gentle pull and told me to push. Easy as Oooh you are getting close!! All the best

Hehe thanks, Fi! I'm hoping he decides to arrive in the next 10 days - before my wonderful m/w has to go away for a week LOL.