Thread: Placenta & coke

Default Placenta & coke

Has anyone else drank Coca Cola while pregnant??

With DD1 I couldn't touch it coz it gave me heart burn. Not a thing was said about my placenta.

With DD2 I drank it - I am a coke-a-holic - But I tried not to drink too much. Anyway after she was born they checked my placenta & asked if I smoked?? I had had the odd one pre pregnancy, but stopped 5 weeks before I found out that I was pregnant.

DH smokes, but I can't stand the smell of it when I'm pregnant & never went near him or an ash tray, so never had th chance to breath in the smoke.

With DS I drank coke also. But read in the book I got in my Bounty bag that up to a few cups a day is OK. (can't remember exactly) So I didn't worry too much. When DS was born they asked me again if I smoked. Again I hadn't. Maybe 3 or 4 before I knew I was pregnant, but that's it. I'm strictly a social smoker.

With DD's placenta I could see the black in it that they said looked like tar. But I didn't give it much thought til DS was born. I didn't know til later that they were looking at my placenta when they asked with DS.

Anyway, has anyone else had this.
    I knew coke wasn't the best & tried to keep it down to 1 - 2 cups a day.
    But is it possible that coke can affect the placenta as much as smoking?

& out of curiosity - if you are willing to admit it - is there anyone who did smoke while pregnant? Did any of you get asked this?

I will never be drinking coke while pregnant again, thats for sure.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

I have been drinking coke all of pregnancy some days more than others.

I have never seen a placenta from a non smoker that looks like one of a smoker thought and been a midwife at a main melboirne maternity centre for 5 years.

I drank heaps of coke during DD's pregnancy and her placenta was healthy, DS's placenta was also healthy and i drank only a bit of coke then. So not sure...

Then what could've caused it??
    I know that my babies are healthy & I should be happy, but ???
    The one thing that made me sickest was the smell of ciggarette or an ash tray.
    I had hyperemesis gravidarum with the girls. It wasn't that bad with DS, but I still couldn't stand to be around smoke.
    I feel like I've done something wrong, but don't know what, so can't prevent it from happening again, possibly having an affect on any future babies.

Im a big coke drinker and both my girls placentas were healthy looking and no problems or questions were asked.

Never smoked!

I have a friend who is not a smoker, and isn't married to one etc. With all three of her babies she was asked if she was a heavy smoker as she was told her placentas were in very bad shape and wouldn't have lasted much longer (all of her babies were born at 37-38 weeks). She's never been able to work out why this was the case.

how strange.... i love coke and i will continue drinking it. not sure if it would have that affect tho.....mmm i dunno

Janie - I'm glad I'm not the only one. DD2 was 41 wks & DS was 39+5 wks. So not over due to the point that they should have been affected.
    I'm thinking maybe something I ate, but I eat pretty healthy. I can't think of anything that could've affected it.

Skye, with DD1 I quit smoking before I fell pregnant..... I was convinced that a previous miscarriage was solely due to smoking....so I was ULTRA careful not to be around smoke.

At 41wks when I gave birth to a 9pd4oz baby I was given a very stern look from the midwives. Apparently it looked as though my placenta was that of a heavy smoker. They said that my placenta would not have held up much longer....

Now why this happens is beyond me.

I drank "frozen coke" EVERYDAY during that pregnancy. It was such an addiction that I would detour 10kms to get one before work each day.... (was living in Far North Qld, and it was hot enough to have frozen coke for breakfast) No idea if this would have or could have affected the placenta though.

Well maybe it's smoking before you fall pregnant that could affect it.

When DD1 was 18 months old I started smoking socially.
    I only ever have smoked socially, a couple on a Friday night when out. Thats it.
    With DD1 I stopped 5 weeks before I found out I was pregnant, so around the time I conceived & with DS I stopped as soon as I knew. But as I said, I didn't really smoke that much too start with.

& the placenta doesn't start developing til a few weeks in or something, so could it really have hurt?

I never drank coke with James and Madeleine and their placenta's were healthy.
    I drank too much coke when I was pregnant with Harrison (I craved it daily) and his placenta was beautiful and healthy too. So, coke didn't change the placentas with my babies.

My question is what were your babies like? I have drunk lots this preg and am abit concerned at I will have a hyper baby that will be addicted to coke.

DD1 is having behavioral problems, we are pretty much going through hell with her right now, but I think slowly we are getting somewhere - but I didn't drink coke with her. She was the by the book baby. 4 hourly feeds etc.
    She was born 7lb 5oz, 50cm at 41+1

DD2 had colic pretty bad. Would scream til 2 or 3 am every night, & has always caught everything going around - had Rota virus & chicken pox at 6 months. & has an innocent heart murmer. Is & has always been a rat bag, but is a bit of a tom boy. That's just her personality. Drank coke with her.
    Born 8lb 9oz, 50cm at 41wks

DS has been a perfect baby. I mean perfect. Has never really cried for no reason. Does still feed pretty much every 2-3 hours. Excellent sleeper. Started sleeping through the night within the first week. Would go to bed around 8 or 9pm & sleep til 4am.
    He usually wakes up around 3 now, but goes straight back down after his feed. Has always done that. I can't believe how perfect he has been. Drank coke with him.
    He was born 8lb 7 1/2oz & 52cm at 39+5

So they were all very healthy sizes & very different as babies.

Very interesting thread. I have an aunty who is addicted to coke. She has osteoporosis and kidney stones which are due to drinking nothing but coke. Coke actually leaches the calcium out of your bones, so probably something to keep in the back of your mind, make sure you keep your calcium boosted for you and your little ones.

paradise lost Guest

Very interesting thread. I have an aunty who is addicted to coke. She has osteoporosis and kidney stones which are due to drinking nothing but coke. Coke actually leaches the calcium out of your bones, so probably something to keep in the back of your mind, make sure you keep your calcium boosted for you and your little ones.
    Now THAT makes some sense. Smokers placentas usually look alder than those of non-smokers, and have more calcium deposits. I had an "oldish" placenta, "a bit gritty" my MW said. DD was born at 41+4, so possibly that was why. I didn't drink coke or smoke. If coke leaches calcium from your bones it presumably is excreted by the liver, but if you were PG it's possible it could build up in the placenta instead?

Feeb, does TAR get into placenta's of smoking women?! I cannot imagine the mechanism for that - tar doesn't get into your blood, it sticks in your lungs, gums them up, makes you cough and eventually gives you cancer...

Bx

Quote Originally Posted by hoobley View Post
    If coke leaches calcium from your bones it presumably is excreted by the liver, but if you were PG it's possible it could build up in the placenta instead?
    I should be more specific. Apparently, it's the large amounts of caffine in the coke that does it. But, I'm sure all the other stuff that's in there isn't good either...