Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please share your induced labour experience

Hi August,
    my waters broke at 3am (I was 40wks) and so off we went to the hospital. My contractions weren't very strong or regular. My Ob said that I could wait 24 hours to see what happens, or I could be induced. I decided to be induced because I had already been at the hospital for 5 hours, I thought just get this over with! Anyway, the drip went in at about 10.30am, after awhile I started with the gas, by about 12pm I asked for pethidene. For most of my labour, I tried to stay upright and active (I was attached to monitors most of the time). For the next couple of hours I was watched closely because my bub was becoming distressed. My Ob was about to tell me that I had to have an emergency caesar when I could feel pressure in my bottom, so it was time to push. 10 minutes later my beautiful daughter was born (3.55pm). She was vaccuumed out, I had an episiotomy and a tear. Oh and she was posterior.

Looking back on the whole experience, I found it to be positive. I found that going with the flow really helped. Being a first birth, you dont' know what you're in for, no matter how much you read! So relax, take things as they come and focus on your bub.

Goodluck with your upcoming birth. (It's worth it, no matter how they're born!)

Jess.

Me 26 DH 26

DD Charlotte 7.5 weeks.

Mustang Guest

I treid everything to get myself into labour naturally, you name it i tired it!

But when was overdue when i had to be induced. My waters had broke and when they break you become under a time limit. I was induced with the drug that mimics the hormone oxytocen, it starts with an R but cant remember. Any way... I was induced at 2pm on the 19th of Nov 2006 and wasnt in an established labour until 10pm that night. The nurses had to keep upping the dose of the hormone, i was dealing with the pain fine and wasnt needing any drugs but when the nurse gave me an internal at 12am i was behind dilateing and was told unless i pick up i might have to have a c section.

It might of been because i had lossed alot of confidence or the drug but the pain just jumped to extereme... i tried everything until i had to get the epidural...when i got it, My babies heart rate drop drematically and i just crapped myself... the nurse realised that my uterus was contracting but not relaxing after, i was nearly contracting for 2 mins. They realised that no one had reduced the dose of hormone that was being gived to me by the drip....

But long story short i ended up having a c section because he wasnt comming down my birth canal after i had dilated to 10 cm and pushing for 3 hours...

Baby and I are fine and is very greatful to staff for their care.... but if i had a choice i think i would rather go into labour natually than being induced!

Hi August Moon Mum
    I was induced with DS#1 with gel. After 8 hours i kind of knew something was happening but managed to sleep then after 12 hours it kicked in properly but gradually. Can't say it was that pleasant having the gel put in but it's quick and i wasn't uncomfy after. Around 20 hours after having the gel my waters were broken as i'd only gone to 3cm. I did end up having an emergency c-section around 27 hours after the original induction but not sure if it was due to induction or the fact i was told when my waters were broken if i didn't get an epidural now i wouldn't be able to have one at all as the aneasthetist was going off to another hospital!!!! (and i was in a private hospital - the very reason we went private was we thought we would get better care!)even though i didn't need one then i didn't trust myself not to need one later so after lots of tears and wrangling i had one which was bliss as i was so tired i could sleep but i'm sure because i couldn't walk around and let gravity help that is why i ended up having a c/s.
    Anyway, good luck with your induction and that your bub is in your arms soon after.
    Julie x

Mater in Townsville

Here is a brief version of Amy’s birth story. It didn’t turn out as planned and was not the best experience at the time.

I finished work at 38 weeks we began a week of doing things to induce her naturally. At exactly 39 weeks, my waters broke and I went to hospital a couple of hours after that. Contractions didn’t start for 1 ½ hours after my waters broke and when they did start, they didn’t hurt much. We had a birth plan that was given to the midwives when we arrived. The birth plan said that I didn’t want to be induced and didn’t want to be offered drugs and would use gas if absolutely needed. After about 12 hours of ‘fun’ labour the Ob came to see me. He had also read our birth plan and said I was about 1-2 cms only it was up to us if and when we wanted to start the syntocin (sp?) to move things along. He didn’t examine me because of the chance of infection. The drip was started and the ‘fun’ labour turned into ‘real’ labour and it hurt a lot. The drip was slowly being increased and after several hours of pain I asked for gas. This helped for a while and the contractions were coming hard and fast. After about 4 hours on the drip I could not cope with the pain anymore. My DH had already ordered an epidural which I was unaware of because I was in such a distressed state. I finally asked for an epidural so it didn’t take long because the anesthetist was already on his way. The pain soon stopped and it was great. I could feel a tightening and saw the contractions on the monitor.
    Sometime during the night, Amy’s heartbeat started dropping to 80 with each contraction. We knew this was not good and could tell something was wrong reading the two midwives faces. They phoned my Ob and he asked that the trace was faxed to him. My Ob came straight away and an emergency caesarean had been organised. The cord was around her neck twice and this was the reason why she was in distress. I suppose this would be classed as a ‘failed’ induction but it just wasn’t to be. We have a perfectly healthy and happy toddler now and there were no complications from this experience.

I asked my new Ob why the last birth happened like it did. He wasn’t there but made the comment that ‘my body wasn’t ready’. No one really knows but there are lots of things that you can do to prepare your body for birth which may help. Also a planned induction may have a totally different outcome to my ‘unplanned’ one if that makes any sense.

It is great that you have been given the option for a natural birth. There are some really good induction stories and I wish you all the best August with your baby boy’s birth. You have a very positive attitude and I know you will get all the support you need from the lovely people on BB. Take care.

Hi
    I've had two inductions with the drip - the first was successful and was a vaginal birth, the second failed and DS was born by emergency caesar.
    Both labours involved extremely full on contractions that just started out of nowhere and hit like a ton of bricks. There was no build up to allow my body to adjust and the first labour was very long - 18 hours of these contractions a few minutes apart. Utterly exhausting but I still had a VB for that birth so I was happy with that.
    Obviously not happy about the way my second induction panned out and am still trying to deal with that.
    Knowing what I know now I would never be induced again - in my case I don't believe it was entirely necessary.
    However, in your case with bubby having gastroschisis - I can totally understand why you're having the induction and for me induction is definitely preferable to having a caesar. Even if it does end up that way at least you gave your body a chance kwim?
    All the best for your birth and I hope it goes well.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jleigh View Post
    Goodluck with your upcoming birth. (It's worth it, no matter how they're born!)
    I totally agree.

I receieved a phone call from a midwife at John Hunter yesterday and we spoke for about 30 minutes which was nice. She told me they use Cervadil at JHH, the papery thing with a string. The hormones are implanted in it and it is left in for up to 12 hours, the good thing being they can pull it out if it starts to do its thing a bit too well.

The norm then is after 12 hours, if nothings happened, to break my waters and start the drip, with the expectation for me to be in established labour within 2-3hrs. After this they basically are not going to beat around the bush about getting my little boy out and off to be assessed by the surgeons.

bon, its true that knowledge is power and I'm forming my little map and a good sense of what I need to prepare myself for. I'm also starting CalmBirth classes this month which I hope will help in preparing for the labour and birth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12