Thread: Please tell me some good stories about 2nd births

Red face Please tell me some good stories about 2nd births

OK, so I've got a long way to go until I get there, but I'm planning to birth at the FBC again, which I LOVED last time, lots of supportive midwives, and respect for the baby and my body, etc, etc, etc. All the things I wanted. But lately I keep remembering the length of labour and the pain at the end when he crowned and needed a helping hand from the midwife, and I think, "Oh, gee, I have to do that AGAIN?!!" And I know I don't want epidural, or pethidine, or morphine, and gas sucks... and last time it was kind of OK because even though the pain and the boring waiting bit was painful and boring, I didn't know what to expect. Now I do.

Please tell me the second time is OK. That it's shorter and perhaps not quite as painful. And if you have a horror story where it wasn't please don't tell me because I'm already freaking out just a little and my imagination can run away by itself thank you very much!

My 2nd birth was bliss. Different hospital, but it was even better than the first time round.

Olivia (first labour) was 7 hours, totally natural, despite shoulder distocia.

Charlie was induced, but aside from that I had no other intervention at all, no pain relief etc. A 3 hour labour, no tears. I gave birth standing up, and it was just fantastic........fast & furious, but amazing.......once I got over teh speed of the contractions, and went with it, it was full on, but I did feel in control, and I knew he was coming fast, and it was tops!

(3rd birth was even quicker........and even better!)

Sasha, my first birth was a long 15 hours and I had the works (peth, gas, epi). Second birth was a super quick 2 hours, little bit of gas. Makes me worry what the third might bring LOL!

You'll be fine

Try not to let it worry you.

My 2nd birth was fantastic!! Seriously, i loved it and can't wait to do it all again!

1st labour was 25 hours - induced, he was posterior, had gas & morphine and a vac extraction.

2nd labour was 13 hours, went into labour 2 days before my induction, contractions didn't hurt nearly as much, were only 40 sec long or so, and never got closer than 3-4 mins the whole time. Had 20 mins of gas, and got her out myself! I had a much better recovery this time around. More details in my birth story if you want to read it.

So yes, i think 2nd labours & births are a lot easier, your body knows what to do!

My second labour was easier too. First time was 8 hours which isn't too bad, but I had a back labour and really had no idea how to position myself to minimise the contraction pain. Second time was 3 hours and I easily found a comfortable position. Sure, it did hurt, but it was quite bearable and I felt so great afterwards.

You'll be fine!!

I've only had one labour but I hear 2nd labours are much faster. When I was in hospital, a midwife was talking to me about something (This was during my stay after giving birth), and another woman was in labour. The midwife said to another, "Let me know when she's fully dilated and i'll come in." But it never happened because by the time they came and got her and she went back to the labouring woman (and its not as if she was far away), baby had already come out lol. I'm sure you'll do great and it'll be a wonderful experience!

Wow, keep the stories coming everyone!! The positivity and motivation they inspire is much needed!! (says she who is around 2 weeks from experiencing her 2nd labour/birth!!!)

Yeah, #2 was great.

#1 was an 8 hour labour, so not too bad, but #2 was much shorter at 3.5 hours.

I think that yes you know what is coming, but you also know that you can do it. Remember that it doesn't start off hurting that bad, that it eases into it, and so will your coping mechanisms. If anything, you'll remember what worked best for coping with the pain and go for that straight away, rather trying to work it all out.

The recovery after #2 was so much quicker than #1 for me.

First labour was 10.5 hrs...2nd 6 hours.

2nd was much better, hurt a bit more BUT only because i done all the work myself, felt crowning and birthed her myself. 1st labour was vac etraction so missed alot of the 'full on' labour so to speak.

But 2nd time round was 100% better and more rewarding

i had retained placenta, 2 x blood transfusions and 4deg tears with 1st labour. As u can imagine i was petrified of labour #2. As it happens it went so amazingly fast i had her in the emergency section of the hossi - no time to make it to the mat. ward.

i think i had a diff mindset too.......i.e i was more prepared, and focussed during labour with #2.....

Although my second birth wasn't much shorter it was alot more enjoyable, I felt like I new I could do it and felt trust in my body to do the job. No pain relief and standing up to deliver worked for me as I felt more in control. All the best for a blissful birth.

Last edited by River; February 18th, 2008 at 12:34 PM.

my first labour was induced and took 4 hrs, no tears and had gas, my 2nd labour was also induced but this time took 40 mins , delivered in the shower of the birth centre, standing, no pain relief and no tears, pure bliss
    makes me concerned about this one.

Of my 3 births the 2nd was by far the best. First was magic 12 hours on Syntocin (sp?) then off for an emergency C Section. 2nd was 4.5 hours with 2 shots of Pethadine and the third was 12 hours.

Good luck with your second birth you did it the first time you are strong and you can do it again. Stay positive.

frazaled1971 Guest

i am up to number 6 and everytime i think OMG what have i done its going to hurt (DAH) but each birth dose get easier not always shorter or less painfull just better as we as mothers are better prepered for what is comming and we do know that it will be over soon , itry to look at it this way its sort of like getting tea ready you must peel the potatos to enjoy the mash well its sort of the same(boy were did that come from my brain is really losing it) it will be better for no other reason then you know more this time then last time alot of the fear is gone as its not the great unknown now.