Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Positions for 'big baby'

I would definitely find out what the hospital has to say about labouring/birthing in their tub. I laboured at the hospital with my first in their regular tub, with just the shower head on me. (They wouldn't let me have an actual bath b/c of the old fear of water getting in, infection etc.) But that was still helpful.
    And yes, it will be quite busy having a baby and a little one at home, but I personally found I was so much happier that it was better that way. I was getting SO SICK OF BEING PREGNANT!!! I could hardly roll over or get out of bed. Getting up to check the kids or go pee at night was brutal. I could barely walk when I stood up. I was so sore and tired and emotionally at the end of my rope. I started having false labour and that was also very stressful - I thought I must be truly going to have this baby, and then the contractions would die out. I had two stretch and sweeps done, and a combination of herbal extracts prescribed by my midwife to encourage labour to start. Your feelings about pregnancy at this point are perfectly normal! It is a pretty miserable time for a lot of women, and it sounds like you have a particularly rough time. But give yourself a little more credit - you CAN do it! Hang in there! Oh, and can you see a chiropractor for the neck/back trouble? Lower back pain during pregnancy is pretty common, but the a chiropractor would likely be able to correct the neck issue, and possibly even help the heart-burn. And having your back and hips properly aligned before labour will give you a better positioned baby and an easier delivery.
    All the best!

Hi Cricket.... THANK YOU!!! I feel much better and so does DH I just read him your post... I think I will go for the S&S and then see what happens... maybe I can get another done a couple of days later if it doesn't do anything??? How long did you wait between sweeps?

I guess I should wait to see if we are 'ripe' first... hey!

No problem Mel.
    I believe I had one S and S done on a Friday, and another on a Monday, and baby was born on the following Wednesday at 40+1. At the first SnS, I was about 1cm dilated and somewhere between firm and soft, not at all effaced. At the second, I was 1-2 cm, cervix soft, and still not effaced.
    Labour began at 6:30am or so, remained light until about 4:30 or 5:00pm, and then picked up. Baby was born at around 8:00pm. (My birth story is here on BB if you want to read it. I think it is listed as "Emily's Home Waterbirth" or something like that. (just looked it up - yes that's what it is - on page 3 of birth stories.)
    Hope that helps!

I gave birth to my 9lb daughter in a semi-reclining position - the worst possible! I had two 1st degree tears and needed three stitches.

For big bubs, I hear that positions that utilize gravity are the best ones.

Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12