Thread: Positions for birth in private care

Default Positions for birth in private care

When I had DS I was told by my midwives that I had to get onto the bed as the Dr would not deliver on the floor, now I have nothing against them for asking me to do it as I know they were just doing there job and they were fastastic and happy to labour with me on the floor the entire time until the dr was ready to catch the baby BUT labour slowwed right down as soon as I got on that bed (even through I wasn't lying flat on my back) Ended up taking 2hours second stage out of 5 for total labour and had an epesiotomy (sp) because it was taking too long according to dr.

So this time I am thinking of specifically bringing up with both my dr and the midwife at my pre admin appointment that I would like to be able to delivery in whichever possie I want. What are other peoples experience with this? if the dr won't deliver the baby on the floor can the midwife do it, I mean I am paying for this so I'm assuming I have a little more say?????? Any thoughts, experience

Thanks Fletch, LMAO at trying to deliver standing on my head, have to remember that one! I think I just need the confidence to stand up for myself this time which I'm determined to do

Saram
    Lying on your back is the worst position to give birth in. This is your body, your baby and itís your decision. When Iím in labour ward I try to encourage women not to get on the bed. I have helped to birth babies in just about every position. I have done quite a few in the shower and one when the water has been running. I have had a couple of waterbirths in a spar bath. ( hospital was really pi$$ed at me for that. They did not permit waterbirths). But my thoughts are that itís not up to me to decide what sort o birth you have, itís up to you. The only time I ever intervene is I there is a medical problem and even then I try to make the woman think that it was her idea. Unfortunately there have been a few occasions where I have had to decide what position she needs to be in. But most of the time if you are in labour ward with me then you do what you want and not what the OB/Dr prefers

melissa.r Guest

I had DD1 on all fours on the floor in a private hospial and DD2 at home in the water. Just playing devils advocate Saram, but what do you think your dr and midwives would have done if you had had said no and refused to getting on the bed (after all they can't force you). This seems such as ridiculous request of a woman in labour. You have every right to birth in which ever position is most comfortable to you. I would recommend you take a strong advocate with you next time around, as it is hard to be assertive when labouring.

I think you need to discuss the idea with your Ob. The midwives at my hospital told me that none of their obs will let you deliver in any position except on your back. So I asked my ob about this a few days later and he was totally fine with whatever I want to do. But he also said that some times women surprise themselves and told me about a woman he'd delivered the week before who was struggling and was finally convinced to get into the stirrups from where she delivered - comfortably and rather to her surprise. I was relieved to find my ob is really flexible about positions but was also suggesting that sometimes changing positions at his request can make a huge difference. (it was his way of telling me that I need to be flexible about positions too I think.)

The midwives also said they don't like delivering on the floor at my hospital - because all the midwives are getting older and it's much harder for them to get up and down off the floor these days.

Thanks for the suggestions it's good to see both sides of the story. I'm going to be discussing it with OB on Monday and the midwives at my pre admin appoint next week but I will certainly be standing up for myslef this time.

Thanks Melissa - I think that's what annoys me the most, the fact that I gave in.

Go Sarah.

I think the thing I don't like is the possibility that you are given no choice. I think that really stinks. That concept is what I find the most scarey about giving birth in a private hospital.

Kar - I've been going over so much of my last birth (which overall was a really positive experience) and I said to my husband last night. What would they have done if I said no when they told me to get back on the bed for the delivery??? The midwives were happy to work with me on the floor it was just the dr that couldn't be bothered. So this time round it really doesn't bother me if my dr does refuse, I'm sure someone will be there to help me catch the baby. It's not like they are going to just stand there is it???

Saram.......I spoke with my OB about this at length. (When Olivia was born I was sitting on the bed, and she went through shoulder distocia, so for Charlie and Lexie I was very keen to stand/squat to avoid this.

My OB said he was happy to deliver in whatever position I wanted.

When it came to the births of both Charlie and Lexie, the midwives did keep nagging me to get on the bed.......to the point where I just swore at them like a harridan and refused! (My language tends to be very crass in labour!)

Anyway, Charlie was born from a standing postion, and so was Lexie. (Lexie was so fast I barely had my pants off!)

I am rambling, but make sure you talk to your OB, and then, when the time comes, take whichever position you feel comfortable with at the time, and stick to your guns!!

With Riley I had to deliver on the bed (as I broke my foot and had to have pins in it and was still non weight bearing when he was born) I was slowing down and my OB got me to lie on my side and that really sped things up.

Thanks Lucy, I will def be bringning it up with them. Fingers crossed we can work it out.

Christine - My goodness that must have been difficult. I was in a side lying position with DS and it didn't really work for us all that well. I would really like to be on my feet this time