Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Posterior babies

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Interestingly enough, quite a few babies born by C/S for being stuck end up being posterior bubs, or malpositioned. This sort of thing seems to be happening more and more with positioning problems and many believe this is a lifestyle thing, with humans being more sedentary than they once were. Yes do look up spinning babies and there is an article on the main site, optimal fetal positioning which has some exercises you can do so that you can help bub move into the most optimal position possible.

Yes it can be more painful not only being in labour but backache as well, so many women do have pain relief - but it is possible to birth naturally and vaginally with a posterior bub. There are some positions more ideal in labour for posterior bubs (I have had posterior babies in labour with clients and sometimes even the midwives dont know what to suggest or help so do your research or get a doula). Prevention is better than cure if you can get onto it early If nothing is working you can try acupuncture perhaps. Walking up stairs and walking in general all help move your pelvis and therefore bub.

Last edited by BellyBelly; October 16th, 2006 at 12:57 PM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Seems like I was one of the lucky ones. A fast labour, totally unassisted, no forceps, episiotomy or even grazing. Brandon was born without any problems, his apgars were all perfect. He was 3.7kgs so not a small bub either. Sure I had backache labour but no different to my others.

Not all posterior labours are bad and scary, if I wasn't told at the time - even though I knew he was posterior, I would not have noticed the difference.

Don't go into the birth with only negative thoughts of how bad it could be, it is a birth like any other and all births are different.

Quote Originally Posted by BellyBelly View Post
    - but it is possible to birth naturally and vaginally with a posterior bub.
    I did it Drug free & all!

And even if it seems bad (liek mine did with a forceps birht and an epidural) still perspective can help you realise that healthy baby and healthy mum count for alot

Hi,

All this information is so helpful, thankyou .

None of you are scaring me at all, this is my 5th baby. I just want to go into this labour knowing all the things that could happen and what to expect as i have never had a posterior baby before.

With my question of increased risk of c/s, i was just wondering because of the way the m/w approached me about it, she asked if i had all my other babies vaginally and when i said said was very adamant that i had to get this baby to move, so i took this reaction as there being a possible risk there.

But like i said, i just want to prepare myself and be educated on posterior babies and births so that i know all the possibilities.

Hi,

While i was typing 3 more of you posted LOL so im back again.

Just to comment on what Kelly said about it being lifestyle as people become more sedentary. I think i have figured out why my baby is posterior when all the others have been in a good birthing position. Since 25 wks i have had bad reflux and heartburn for which i am now on Ranitidine for. The med works but doesnt stop the reflux and i have to sleep sitting up basically, propped up by about 6 pillows. I have tried to lay down with half this amount and every time i wake up within half an hour choking on stomach acid. So the only positions i have in every day life is sitting, sitting and sitting basically. It hurts to try and lay on my side being propped up so high. In my other pregnancies i was able to lay on my side to sleep all the time and i think this is the difference.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

With the sitting, try sitting forward where you can, sit on a chair backwards or lean into a beanbag etc - so you are upright but forward leaning. Hips above the knees!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Hi,

Do you get really awful lower back and pelvis pain with a posterior baby during late pregnancy too?

Last week i had lower back period pain like cramps that were quite painful and today i have had a bit of pain in my lower back and pelvis, down low. Its so painful it almost brings me to tears.

Kristi I had lower back pain to the point that sometimes I couldn't walk. I'm not sure if it associated with bubs being posterior or not.

Marcia Guest

I should have added that I did also manage just with gas through labour, and Hudson was monitored constantly through the labour with no signs of fetal distress and born with a great Apgar (9 I think), and the perfect shaped head like FionaJill said lol! So it didn't cause any probs with his health, just unpleasant for me. But as others have said, a healthy bubs is the main thing, so it ain't all bad LOL!

And I did have pretty bad lower back pain late in pregnancy, although don't know if this was because he was posterior.

I think the risk of C/S is because when they are coming out posterior, they can't tuck their heads in so that the smallest part is coming out first. So they can get a bit stuck. Maybe Kelly can come in here & explain it better.
    My son was born just last week - he was posterior as well and unfortunately I did end up with a c/s. However he also had his head flexed back instead of chin tucked forward - this was the main reason for the c/s. If he'd just been posterior he probably would have righted himself during labour and even if he didn't he could have still been born that way. Many ladies do it, it's just a bit harder work.
    But I would look into doing exercises and maybe acupuncture to encourage him, it's probably best to avoid starting labour that way if you can.
    Good luck
    Last edited by Tobily; October 16th, 2006 at 07:22 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12