Thread: Preparation for Labour

Question Preparation for Labour

I missed out on going to my preparation for labour class (the only one for the month where you get to go with your partner and learn breathing, relaxing, etc at the hospital) because the Man and I were both really sick, and the next class is on 6 Feb. Which is only like, oh 11 days before I'm due!!!
    I have read the articles on this site, but in case I am early and hatch before I even get to go to the class, does anyone have any advice for breathing, relaxing, etc. I'm intending for an active birth, with the less needles the better.
    I am really starting to have this on my mind a lot. :eek: Its not worrying me yet, but I would like to try and be even just a little prepared if possible.
    Thank you so much.

At my classes we never even learnt breathing! When your in labour your body just seems to know what to do and how to breathe. More then likely ypur attending midwives/doctor will coach you any how.....Only thing i learnt was to pant.....quick short, sharp breaths.

My classes ended 3 days before i was due.....in fact the last class ended on the day i had DD so i never made it....although i did go down and see them that night

Goodluck.

Walk, walk, walk, walk. As soon as your labour is established, get up and walk around as much as you can.

Try and stay off the bed as long as possible.

Squatting or getting on all fours is good I found.

A hot shower is great for pain relief.

Try and stay as relaxed and focused as you can.

GOOD LUCK!!!! Not long to go now!!

This labour I was told to breathe slowly in and out through my nose, and imagine the air going all the way to my uterus. It made a huge difference!!!
    Also I was told to visualise a circle, and keep my face lips loose, all that apparently helps your cervix open!
    Make as much noise as you want to, but keep your slow breathing going if you can.

Breathe out as long and slow as you can during contractions (like everyone says, in through nose, out through mouth), trying to focus on the breath coming out of you (well, it helped me!).
    I stood in a nice hot shower for ages, then sat in the bath for ages too which was great. Sometimes I'd stand behind a chair with my legs apart and swivel my hips (sexy I know!) whilst leaning a bit on the chair back....was helpful to me.
    I also walked as fast as I could up and down the corridoor - trying to race away from the contraction!
    I visualised with each contraction my cervix stretching open and told myself that the pain was totally worth it as it brought me closer to my darling bubs. And it was!

Good luck! You've probably missed nothing from those classes.....Bellybelly was the best source of info I got.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Can you grab a copy of the Pink Kit? It has heaps of stuff, all you'll need to know. Angel is doing it if you want to ask her if it's worth it. Tiggy has done it too I think
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

I think the panting and quick little breaths is for when you want to stop pushing...

i agree with Fi- i was told to relax my face and mouth, this makes for a relaxed crevix.. you know the song.. the face is connected to the cervix, the face is connected to the cervix.. LOL.
    u will quickly learn what relaxes you and what works best, its something you can never truely be sure of till its happening.
    Good luck, not long to go....

I so agree that most classes given by hospitals are a waste - listen to the women here - they can all guide you through just like in the good old days when women helped eachother through the experience.....

Hospital classes were a bit useless - we didn't do breathing either. Deep breaths - in through the nose and out through the mouth - are useful, but you've been breathing all your life without lessons so just do what comes naturally!

The articles on Belly Belly are fab for preparation (I'm reading them all now LOL) and you may want to look at homeopathic remedies or a TENS machine to help you with going needle-free.