Thread: Previous 4th degree tear

Claire Guest

Default Previous 4th degree tear

I sustained a 4th degree tear from the forceps delivery of my daughter Emily - I healed very well, quickly and with no further complications. I am absolutely determined to have a normal vaginal delivery and have a HR consultant that supports.

I'm putting things in place to help achieve this:

I'd like to buy the Pink Kit
    I've found a Doula
    I'm going to read and research more about the stages of giving birth.

Unfortunately the hospital I am with doesn't have a birthing pool at this time and I am high risk because I miscarried my last pregnancy at 17 weeks so would prefer to be under their care this time around.

Without water I am a little nervous about pushing the head out. Not so much external tearing but internal. I have purchased an Epi-No to help get this area ready - though I have no idea if it actually works?

What do you think can help get me mentally ready for this? I would like to fully embrace this stage and not feel fear at tearing.

I know that 4th degree tears are more common in first deliveries because of the use of forceps and I was wondering if anyone had achieved a vaginal birth after something like this?

Claire - Wow I was told that if you have previously had a 4th degree tear that you`ll automatically have to have a c/s for all future births.

I have heard that perineal massage helps I think you start massaging from 32 weeks.

Good luck with it all and it`s fantastic you have support.

Claire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Deejoy17 View Post
    Claire - Wow I was told that if you have previously had a 4th degree tear that you`ll automatically have to have a c/s for all future births.

I have heard that perineal massage helps I think you start massaging from 32 weeks.

Good luck with it all and it`s fantastic you have support.
    My Ob is a leading expert in Fetal Welfare so he's all for natural delivery. I feel lucky to have him!