Thread: Private ante-natal classes?

Default Private ante-natal classes?

I am looking into doing some privately run AN classes, which Kelly suggested to me.

I am just wondering if anyone out there has done this and what they thought? I am going to do the basic hossy ones too, because I want to know their thoughts on things too, but I agree that they only tell you what they want you to know.

I keep swaying on my decision, part of me thinks that I'll just be doubling up, but then part of me says that the extra classes could, and probably will, be really useful. Or should I just do an ABA BF course?

BTW, cost isn't a factor, the hossy ones will cost me nothing and the private ones are not costly at all

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

NoOoOOOOOooO you wont be doubling up at all So many people tell me that they think their pre-natal classes at hospital were not very helpful, recent comments include: "They were mostly about pain relief in the labour bits" and "They were terrible - they even suggested bringing in board games and cards for early labour and didnt give us anything that helped with what was to come"

You need classes that can help you and your partner work through the labour as best you can, with more focus... not just pain relief! Some classes are okay, but the majority are not.

Have you seen the list of private pre-natal classes in my list? I forget who I tell this to, because I just tell everyone... LOL. You will benefit immensely. If you don't do that, do the Pink Kit in your own home - no-one teaches that in Melbourne and I think it is very important what they teach. Angel is doing it at the moment
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

I agree with Kelly - I did the hospital class and they were hopeless. They told me stuff I already knew, which was hardly anything at that stage. As a result I was completely unprepared for labour

Kelly, I am interested in Di Diddle's classes, which I got from the list you gave me LOL! Thanks for that BTW If I go with them would you recommend all four of the classes? TBH they all sound very helpful.

A few people have told me how useless their hossy classes were, but I don't think most people are aware that they have other options. Thank goodness for BB!

Keep the info coming girls, am very interested to hear others responses!

Di ran Choices for Childbirth for 4-5 years so she is very experienced in childbirth education. She was also trained by Rhea. I recommend all of them, I know all of them and they all have a great reputation and are gorgeous women too
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!

I did Di Gardner's calmbirth class and that was an amazing empowering experience. It was the best money we have spent during the pregnancy (oh and the belly bag! ). I also did the hospital classes but found them to be ridiculous and full of hospital policy and glossed over fluff. I contemplated not finishing them but I did learn maybe 10 minutes worth of useful information out of the whole lot of them.

I would recommend that you do a private one where the focus is on you and your partner getting through the labour the way you want to, not the way the hospital wants it to go.

Good luck

I would do Calmbirthing in addition to private classes, as it's important to learn the body stuff, stages of labour etc. I also think that it's good to have several tools to rely on, as opposed to one tool iykwim? I've had couples go really, really well with Calmbirthing, and on the other hand, some who just couldn't get into it in labour. A big percent of my clients are doing it now though, mostly through Di Gardner who is very wonderful
    Kelly xx

I did private hypnobirthing classes which is like Di Gardner's classes. I found them to be extremely helpful with preparing my mind for what was going to happen in labour. The only thing was I didn't go fully hypnobirthing during labour, instead I sort of went primal & did some real instinctive behaviour... but I found it really good because I was able to say at one point "I can't relax and I know I need too" so I found a way to relax and labour progressed heaps easier after that. So like Kelly said, maybe private as well as hypnobirthing (Calmbirthing).

Olivia Guest

We went to Choices for Childbirth, Sth Yarra and Brunswick ...they were better than the hospital but ....after having an emergency c section ....be aware that they focus very much on a natural birth and attachment parenting, the attachment stuff is great but while I totally agree that natural is best and possible, it is important to be aware but what else can occur ...and not shut yourself off from that possibility.

I agree, that you need to be informed about everything. Most hospital classes cover caesareans I guess, but perhaps something more useful from Choices could be tools and information in case you really do need a caesarean. As you know, it all happens so quickly and you get swept up in the moment.

*hugs to you*
    Kelly xx