Thread: Pulsating Cord!

Default Pulsating Cord!

I have read a few things about people asking for the cord to stop pulsating before it's cut so that the baby can get extra nutrients.

How long does this take to stop pulsating and if you do this can you still then have the injection to deliver the placenta or do you have to wait for it to come out without help?

For us the cord took around 10 minutes to stop pulsating. You can't have the injection until after the cord has finished pulsating and is clamped. I had the injection as soon as they clamped the cord after it had finished and the placenta was delivered within minutes. So the injection was pointless really but I had an anxious midwife at that point...

Christy-Were Redlands supportive of the idea of leaving the cord to pulsate?
    (Also, OT, but did you ever have Debbie as a midwife?)

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Thanks for that link Kelly.
    So if you don't have the cord clamped straightaway does that mean you cannot donate your cord blood because the baby has used it all up? The hospital I am at has the option of donating cord blood.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Yes thats right, you cant donate it if you clamp later - but your baby will have all its precious blood
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

I agree with you Shannon, most babies are hypovolemic at birth and can do with that extra 50-150mls they get from the placenta.

Also, if you wait for the cord to stop pulsating, tthe placenta produces a hormone to separate it naturally so you don't even need the shot after all.