Thread: Qu about labour and bub position

Default Qu about labour and bub position

Just wondering does bub have to be engaged or close to for labour to begin? This bubba is lying with head on my left side, back down my right side, bum in the top right hand corner and legs kicking my left, basically with her shoulders in the pelvis. Dr today said she's not going anywhere and that we have 3 more weeks unitl we have to worry about the way she's sitting. Personally I would rather not wait 3wks :-) Have been getting lots of pre labour and some irregular contrax but wondering if they are completly pointless if bubba can't engage? I have been doing lots of reading on the spinning babies website and going to the chiro... any advice, anyone go into labour with bub is a weird position and have a good labour. Thanks

Hi with DD #3 she was oblique lie, her bum under my left hip, her head above my right hip. I had PROM at 36 weeks, was told at the very small country hospital I was going to that I would need a csec in the morning ( it was 1.30 am when I arrived at hospital) contrx were 5 mins apart. they did an internal I was 3 cm dilated, and there was a foot there. I was put on a monitor at 2am and they left. By the time they came back at 3 am contrx were 1 min apart and heavy. I dont know how far dilated I was as they freaked and ran to call in the surgical team. 30 mins later I had bubs via csec. So from personal experience nope you dont have to be engaged to go into labour ( and the more bubs you ahve the less likely you are to engage before labour) #4 was no where near engaged before labour commenced. Not to get your hopes up either. Bubs will come when it wants too

No your baby does not have to be engaged for you to go into labour

Saram,
    As the others have said your baby does not have to be engaged for labour to begin.
    It's great as you know to have that prelabour it all helps to get your little girl into your arms. Try not to sit on a sofa leaning back. Tall straight chairs leaning more forward than back helps. Little kiddies chairs are great for sitting on in late pregnancy to help encourage a more optimal position. Spend some quiet time each day visualising your little one in your arms and affirm a safe straight forward labour.
    Wishing you lots of positives and I look forward to reading of your wonderful birth very soon!

Thank you for your comments it's good to know all this pain and fuss might be doing something for us and flowerchild thanks for your encouraging words. Have been feeling really depressed about this bubba's stubborn positioning and it really helped to read your post.