Thread: question about birth

Default question about birth

hey guys, im not sure if this is a stupid question that i should already know.

i was watching maternity ward on discovery channel on foxtel last night and its an american based show.

anyway, apart from the fact that they encourage 90% of their women to have epis, (which i dont like), they also put some clear stuff into the baby's eyes as soon as they are born.

it looks oily. i have no idea what it is or what its for. hope you can help

The only thing I can think of that we put in bub's eyes was saline to clear all the muck out, but that was only when it was really necessary - I don't know what else they would put in their eyes - I'd be interested in the answer to this question as well.

Hi,
    In the US they used to use Silver Nitrate eye drops at birth, but they are changing that now because it burnt babies eyes. Lots of states now use Erythromycin which doesnt burn. Apparently its administered routinely over there to minimise infections such as gonnorhea (sp) and chlamydia and also some more common bacterial infections. They give it straight away after birth which is pretty horrible when you think of all the other shocks to the systems our babies get at birth! You think they'd just check the mothers for the infections prior to birth instead of subjecting the baby to this.

I used to watch that show and apart from the occasional birth they are all so clinical. I'm sure I've read somewhere about that stuff they wipe over the eyes couldn't remember what book it is in though :-k

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

OOOoooOoOoh I HATE Maternity Ward and Birth Day so much like you wouldn't believe, it's so damaging to give those impressions and comments about birth. 75% of births in the US are with epidurals. On the shows, I have seen epidurals being given at 10cms dilation, anaethatists being interviewed saying how great epidurals are for mothers and all the births are in bed, flat on their back and so clinical with sheets and masks - URGH! I could go on.... it's just so demoralising seeing those poor women on their backs with their legs being pinned back while a whole hoard of people watch in around her.

I have been watching 'House of Babies' though and I love that one! Most are waterbirths, normal physiological childbirth and the ones worth watching. Most of them have no need for drugs too - water is great for that.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Oooh what channel is House of Babies on??

They seem to do a lot of stuff to babies that they don't do here. It looks so mean when they are sticking stuff down the baby's throat and up their little noses to get all the muck out, makes me cry almost. They didn't do any of that to Jonah so it must just be an American thing. Gee those wacky Americans

i really need to watch an australian modern birth on video. i dont know whats normal and whats not?

last night on this show on discovery, they stuck things down the babies throat almost every time.

i thought that was normal...but how horrible!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Same channel, Home & Health It's hard to see a normal birth these days, sadly... you can get them from Choices for Childbirth I think? Or my birth teacher Rhea Dempsey only shows normal physiological childbirth videos in her workshops, I think it's important we see that, so we know it's possible for a start!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Ooh must try to catch that.

does anyone have any birth videos i could borrow?

bruky Guest

Danni I was wondering what they put on the babies eyes too??? now I know...lol

I hate seeing that sucker thing shoved straight into their lil mouths

I too thought the epi rate must be high...until House of Babies I hadnt seen a 'natural' birth on those shows

Both Maternity Ward and Birth Day (like other hyped up medical programs) are supposedly showing high risk births, so you are unlikely to see a "natural birth" as this wouldn't get as many ratings. It is television after all, not just an educational documentary. I love all the birth shows on Foxtel and understand, as with most reality shows, that it is sensational and not always realistic. It's meant to be dramatic to pull in viewers, not representing "real" birth necessarily. Sensible people watching the shows should realise this.

hey danni, Im in Germany, so precedure if different here. We were asked if we wanted them to give Ben eye drops right after he was born. They told us it was against Chlamydia (sp??), but it burns the babys eyes a little bit. We decided against it because of that reason. Plus, i was talking to a midwife and she said it wasnt really needed if you have only had the one sexual partner (or something like that).

I love love love House of Babies, I used to watch Birth Day and A Baby Story and would start yelling at the screen when they went straight for the epi!

But I think they have moved House of Babies to 11:30pm? NOT impressed.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I watched House of Babies last night, what a great show. The one I saw was on at 6:30pm I think.

House of Babies is repeated during the day like many of the shows of Foxtel... its on 10.30am and 10.30pm