Thread: Questions to ask Hospital

Question Questions to ask Hospital

Hey guys,

I am having my first appointment with my birthing hospital next week and need to make a list of questions to ask them as I am doing shared care and wont be there very often between now and the birth.

Are there any questions I should be asking?

Thanks

visiting hours
    can DH stay over night
    parking arrangements
    what they provide for baby (eg. my hospital provides all nappies whilst there)
    any questions you have about the labor ward (pain relief, who is on, access to that area. I was interested that only DH and I can go into the "labour ward" at my hospital + my support people if I have any but non support ppl like grandparents can't)
    how long do they keep you in for (some hospitals have differing times)
    equipment available to assist you during labor such as bean bags
    any fees not covered by medicare (if you want to plan ahead)
    birthing classes
    book in for a tour if you haven't already
    anything you want to know really....

excellent!!!! any others?

You'd probably find out at thier antenatal classes, but it's always interesting to know your particular hospital's stats on birth, like how many mums end up with emergency c.secs, epidurals, episiotomies etc.....how long they'll let you be overdue for before they push to induce....if they have baths or just showers for pain relief, fit balls, what sort of monitoring they routinely do during labour....if some midwives are more pro natural birth than others....if they offer pregnancy excercise classes...
    Of course you might not find out the answers to half of these questions but at least they'll know you're smart enough to ask specific questions that keep them accountable to what your birth preferences will be...
    Good luck

chocolatecatty - good point about the hospital stats! Danni - do specifically ask this question and keep asking different people until someone gives you an answer (if you really want the answer). According to the mid doing my classes - there is no such thing as an emergency c-sect, none of us will NEED a c-sect, they "don't often do forcep deliveries" (which is a lie) and a few other non-truths as well! I think she is a bit out dated and perhaps a bit TOO positive. I'm lucky I have my training because otherwise I think I'd be going into this thinking it will be painless and easy! Oh - and according to her - baby mix ups don't happen; so DH had a GREAT laugh at the mix up at our hospital that happened this week!!!!!!!!!

Hi Danni, I second what the girls have already said Thants pretty much the same list of questions I asked.
    Ask questions about the things that are important to you and help you get the kind of birthing experience you want.

I found it helpful to check out some birth plans online (not all of these are good...) and see what situational questions I came up with. I tried to ask situational and leading type questions and see how they handled them. One hossy gave me the political answers and the cold shoulder but the other understood why I wanted to know and answered my questions and gave extra info. Then I could see which centre most supported my preferences.

Also ask about labour -
    What do they consider "too slow" so would consider you for drugs/C-Section?
    Do they perform routine episotomies?
    Are the drugs "on tap" or do they have to be brought in?
    How much privacy do you get during/after the birth (ie do you have to share a loo, will students be around, when are you popped back on the ward with other people...)?
    Will there be someone around to watch the baby if you need a shower the next morning if husbands are sent away?
    What's the food like and do they have a fridge/microwave for snacks?
    When do you go in: as soon as labour starts or give it a few hours until XYZ happens?
    What would they consider an emergency or a need for induction/forceps/C-section?

You'll probably think of lots of questions when you're having a chat with the midwife anyway, but those were the sorts of questions I wanted answering. Quite often they know the usual questions so answer them without being asked! (Like the food and shower ones for me.)

are the visiting hours different for dh/gradparents/others? At my hospital these were all different.
    Be familiar with where you get in to the hospital after hours should you arrive in the middle of the night. this is normally through emergency at most hospitals.

Also, re what mother goose said about what the hospital provide for baby.
    This is worht checking, my hospital provided all blankets/clothes/nappies etc.

Do not take anything that you dont need to take.

It might seem like a good idea to dress your bub in something cute, but your nice stuff can and will go missing. Believe me, and the midwife who did find Milos blankie after 2 hrs.....

Also ask about assistance with breasfeeding etc too... As it can be daunting if they just leave you to fumble with a new baby huge norks & no idea what your doing!!!!

well well well!

I had my visit yesterday arvo and there was no questions time!! I am unable to find these answers until 26 weeks! idiots

Have you tried the RWH website?