Thread: quick labour question

rae80 Guest

Question quick labour question

hi guys i had a really quick labour with my second child 32 mins from first pain till birth do labours get quicker with each labour as im 23 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child and im freaking out that this one will nearly be born on the side of the road like my last one ive got low lying placenta and the drs have said they want to induce me at 38 weeks will it be long being induced or short please help before i tear my hair out with worry

i had my first in 4hrs, induced by the gel only and my second in 1hr, waters broke spontaneously but had to be induced the next day so it actually took forever to start.
    Daisy

They supposedly are shorter.. but I guess not always. Why do they want to induce with a low lying placenta? My understanding was that if it was lying too low, as in it's in the way, they go for c/s. If they're allowing a natural birth anyway can't you wait for spontaneous labour? (Just wondering )

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Firstly, with a low lying placenta, a majority of placentas will move up as the lower part of your uterus does most of its growing in the mid third trimester, so if you don't want an induction it will likely not be necessary. Something like 5% of placentas will end up as placenta praevia and require a caesar. I would like to know why they are inducing at 38 weeks anyway, if it wasn't safe then a normal labour or induced labour would be equally as dangerous? Plus the more time you have, the more likely it will move up? So if you would like to avoid induction, ask for a scan in the mid third trimester or before they do the induction.

But it's likely you will have a fast labour again, perhaps not shorter, but not guaranteed to even be fast of course - could end up longer too. I'd want to be close to the hospital/midwives if your last one was that quick.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

My sisters first was as quick as yours, her second was about 4 hours. She was so worried it would be quicker, but it wasnt' . She only had her bubs 2 years apart.
    for me my first was 12 hours, second was under 2 hours. I put that down to the chiro work I'd had done, I was all straightand in good shape!! xo

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Usually the second is quicker, but it can completely depend on the pregnancy too. For example, if you have a posterior baby as I kow you did Jillian, they can be much slower to start and longer labours, as baby is not in the optimal position.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

rae80 Guest

thanks everyone im having a scan next month to check if my placenta has moved up they want to induce me because my labour was so quick last time and i live a fair way from the hospital i hope the placenta does move up as i feally dont want a c section any way time will tell

Don't tear your hair out Rae!
    I know it is said that labours become quicker and some of the time this is true. Most midwives ears ***** up when they are told that a previous labour was fast as yours was. However every pregnancy and every birth is different for every woman. Precipitous labours can be very harrowing for the mum. My 3rd child was born under 2 hours from start to finish. I felt like I had been hit by a large bus at the end! Amazingly it was a very peaceful birth with a very peaceful baby but this Mamma found it all a bit fast! It is often hard for the woman to get her teeth into the labour, there is no nice easy start with timing contractions it's just whammo.
    I must say that my longer labours were much more enjoyable than my fast one!
    If you have had a fast labour it is important to stay close to where you will birth in the latter weeks of your pregnancy. Talk about your concerns openly with your care provider. My 4th child was born after a 7 hour labour - she wasn't posterior, her and I just took a little longer to birth. My first child was 33 hours of very full on labour and my 2nd was only 4. Posterior or back ache labour can and often does make the labour longer and harder.

As for a low lying placenta.... I am confused as to why an induction would be necessary with that? I have not seen an induction purely on the grounds of low lying placenta. As others have said a low lying placenta isn't uncommon. At 23 weeks your baby has much growing to do, as this growth occurs the placenta most often grows up and away from the lower segment of the uterus. Placenta previa can occur but with this condition it is almost always necessary to have a caesarian. An induced labour has risks attatched as does any intervention. I would urge you to try not to focus on this at the moment your baby and your placenta have lots of time to get it together in there! If you are still being advised at an induction due to 'low lying placenta' then I would strongly suggest you ask lots of questions and go away and investigate before you decide.

Take it easy, hugs...

aah.. so they're not inducing because of the placenta. Misunderstood that So what happens if you go into labour before the 38 weeks? its the same predicament isn't it? Lets hope you get some early labour warning signs this time around!

rae80 Guest

thanks guys your all so nice and helpful im going to not even think about it just take every day as it comes hugs to all

Goodluck sweety, I hope all goes well for you.

Love

I misunderstood too I thought you were being induced because of the low lying placenta.
    I see you were asking if your labour would be longeer if you were induced. That's a big iunkown I am afraid. Women sometimes erroneously believe that an induced labour is quicker but this is not always the case. In a spontaneous labour the hormones that trigger the labour have had days to build up. Your pituitary gland kicks in with the message to the hormones to start the show and slowly unseen and unknown by the mother (sometimes - though often women intuitively 'know') this process begins. With an induced labour those processes are begun artificially. Sometimes the woman's body doesn't want to play the game - a 'not open for business sign' flashes somewhere. This is when the process of intervention sometimes occurs. That doesn't mean that induction is bad - sometimes there are really good and valid reasons for inductions and we are fortunate that we have access to this kind of help if it is needed. Sadly now in our society where birthing units are closing at a rapid rate in rural areas and homebirths are unsupported by the general population women often are induced for no other reason but the uncertainty of when you will go into labour.
    I can understand just how you would feel about being concerned about your labour length. You are right to be aware and mindful of this. No woman should birth her baby alone and unsupported. That is a scary thing. I was very mindful of my distance from the birthing centre where I was to birth my last baby. (40 minutes by car through winding hilly roads!). As a result I made tracks as soon as I knew labour was happening. As I said in my previous post Evie and I took our time with her labour and I could have stayed at home for much much longer. However it was an unknown and I didn't want to birth unsupported by my midwife.
    Things could have been different. It could have all happened on the drive down and that would have been scary .
    Something to just keep in mind most really fast labours are fairly straight forward. There is a clear route out and whoosh out they pop. However, it would be foolish to hinge your decision just on that and I am not suggesting that you do.
    How far away from where you will birth do you live? Try not to focus too much come in here and get some cyber hugs and support. Talk openly with your midwife/care provider. Trust that body of yours. Talk to your baby.
    Good luck with your ultrasound - can you let us know how it goes?

rae80 Guest

thanks deb your replies really help where abouts on the sunshine coast do you live i live at glasshouse mountains and i will defently let you all know how my ultra sound goes hugs and kisses to all mwaaa

Hi Rae,
    I am glad that you have found some help from what we all have said. I live up at Maleny - so not too far from you. Are you having your baby in the private system or the public? If it is private I am assuming you would go to Selangor or Buderim? If you are going public I would assume Caboolture? From Glasshouse you would only be 15-20 mins to Caboolture?
    Just another thought. Your last baby - the fast labour. Was the baby an unusual presentation? Did you have "early rupture of membranes" - did your "waters" break before labour?
    I look forward to hearing how your scan goes.
    Big hugs

rae80 Guest

hi deb im having my baby at cabolture hospital im not sure what position the baby was in my waters broke at 9.00 pm with no pain before they broke and he was born at 9.32 pm i dont really live that far away from the hospital but when labouring like i did it felt like a life time he was crowning by the time we arrived out the front of the hospital with about 5 minutes to spare as soon as i got up stairs and layed on the bed he was born i forgot to ask the other day but when i had my doctors appointment last week to show him the scan he said that my placenta is hooked on my cervix i should have asked what that meant i know but i didnt do you or anyone on this forum know what that means i feel really silly asking being my 3rd pregnancy and all i should know some things but i had really good pregnancys b 4 with no dramas
    take care
    raewyn xxxxx