Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quickness of cervix dilation? Help!

Default Quickness of cervix dilation? Help!

Ok so this morning at my CGT it was noted that I was having regular contractions (could feel them) but my cervix while soft was firmly shut. For the last hour I have had pretty full on contractions about 12 minutes apart - heading towards 11 now and lasting about 40 seconds. Can your cervix dilate quickly? Pretty stupid question I know but I don't want to head in to hospital (at least a 30 min drive) with nothing else happening!I just thought because my cervix was shut this morning it would be a while yet before anything was happening!

I think that a crevix can dilate pretty fast. Its one of those things that varies alot between pregnancies.

Soph, have you been using anything like Evening Primrose Oil capsules?? These really do help to soften up your cervix. If your waters haven't broken or anything then you would still be right to use them. Can't hurt hey??

Maybe you could've asked for a stretch and sweep when you were there.

But generally they say 1cm for each hour, although quite often that's not the case. Especially for your 2nd or subseqent babies.

I went from 1 to 10cm in a little over 2 hrs. It was my 7th baby though. And it hurt a LOT more.

Forgot to wish you luck! Good luck!

Ok so it's possible if it was closed at 11am, and I am having contractions now that it will be opening? They couldn't do a stretch and sweep this morning because it was closed.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

A soft cervix is great though, sounds like you are very close! Can you go for a walk? Maybe bubs isn't in an optimal position or something like that - cervix dilation can depend on baby's position, your positioning, stress - all sorts. Going for a walk will help move the pelvis and hence baby and gets the head nice and down on the cervix.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Um I might walk up and down the stairs a bit - contractions are quite painful and coming around every 11 minutes. Yikes this could really be it!

I'd say it is "It" Sophie. Have you got someone there with you to help with Lucie?

Yeah thanks Sherie, my mum is here. Hoping things won't get too intense until after we put her to bed around 7pm! Ok here comes another one.............

Ohhhh Soph..so exciting

Jo

Oh yeah Soph, sorry, I forgot to wish you luck too hun. I'm sure you'll do great sweety. Remember with every pain, your one less closer to meeting bub

It sounds like you are in a great frame of mind - you are going to have a great birth!

Kirsty77 Guest

Goodluck Soph! For memory when I had Gem I went from being 1cm dilated to 5cm in a matter of 2 hours or so. I'm so excited for you!!!!

I think it depends on the person and the pregnancy. My first i dilated from 2-10cms in 4 hours but i was also induced..

Goodluck! I hope it is quick and easy for you!

whoo hoo soph!!

Good luck Sophie!! How exciting! Keep your legs together in the car, and dont forget a heat pack!

Mine were 3mins apart all day with Indah, but only got bad at 8pm & she was born at 12:31am, so Good Luck precious!!!

Come out MISSY!!! hee hee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast