Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: reasons for a c-section?

what does BOBB mean?

Business of being born.

paradise lost Guest

I had a homebirth and my last daycare (in hospital) monitoring BP was 139/111, that high enough for you!? Of course that was the first (white coat, meaning i was scared of the whole situation) reading, the last came down to 130/99 so i was "allowed" to go home.

There is a BIG difference between high BP and PE. Pre-eclampsia is supposed to be diagnosed with blood tests if the mum is showing 2 or more of the 3 main symptoms, high BP, swelling (edema) and protien in the urine. A blood test will show a struggling liver and yes, with PE the baby and mum are in danger and a c/s is the best course of action.

They tried to diagnose me with PE because i had high BP. I'd had high BP all pregnancy long. I had an undiagnosed thyroid condition which could have been spotted with a simple blood test but they woould rather have dx PE, put me on BP drugs or given me a just-in-case c-section than do that blood test. I had 4 PE assays done in the last 9 days of my pregnancy because i refused to take drugs or treatment until they proved i needed it (probably helped bring my BP down in fact, having blood taken all the time!). I wish i'd known about the thyroid conditon then, it would have saved me a lot of stress and heartache.

High blood pressure CAN be very dangerous, but it isn't in every case. I had no symptoms from my high BP, and no complications. If women could all have dedicated one-to-one care during pregnancy then less women would be diagnosed and treated for things they didn't have. The only midwife i saw regularly, Sandra, actally came into my daycare with me to argue with he Ob because she'd done dozens of BP readings out at my house and knew i was about 12 diastolic points terrified. No one wanted to listen to her.

Heva i would look for a student doula if i were you. I would also, if at any point in your labour you are advised to have some new kind of treatment, ask that everyone except you DP and the doula leave the room so you can talk calmly without tem pressuring you or making you feel watched.

The first thing to ask whenever a new course of action other than just letting you labour is introduced is "will this benefit the baby? will it compromise the baby?" If you need to have continuous monitoring with whatever it is (epidural, augmentation) then yes, it will potentially compromise the baby. If the baby is already showing distress during contractions they may wish to try something to benefit the baby. It is ALWAYS ok to ask "why?" when offered anything. If it is an emergency you will be told so.

In general the less intervention you have the less likely you are to be faced with such decisions (SOME babies need help however you labour, but if that happens you know it was meant to be, rather than caused by the intervention). Try to stay at home as long as possible, avoid pharmaceutical pain relief (gas and air is fine and causes no issues if used correctly), and use heatpacks, water, massage, tens, whatever else you like instead. Visualise strong effective action during contractions, think "down baby" and "i'm opening up" an try to "go deep" into the sensations rather than fighting them (helps relax everything). Believe in yourself hun. Your baby and your butt know what they're doing!

Bx

In a week my BP went from 120/80 to 176/126. I didn't have any other PE symptoms at the time, (well, except my fundal height hadn't changed for a week, indicating bub was not growing.) I was admitted for BP monitoring. My BP stayed that way for 5 days. Urine and blood tests were borderline, but fine. I really didn't want to be induced and i REALLY didn't want a c/s. I resisted being induced but finally agreed.

After 5 days in bed and no change in BP, i was induced. DD was born that day. 2.6kg She looked like a little skun rabbit! My placenta had big black holes in it where it had infarcted, DD was not getting enough nutrients from the placenta so my body increased my BP to try and force more nutrients to the baby from the placenta.

Until i saw my DD and the placenta, i didn't realise the severity of my situation. I thought i only had high BP and it was all a fuss over nothing. Turns out it was more serious than i thought. I am glad my cervix was favourable for an induction, otherwise i would have been sent to theatre for a c/s.

High blood pressure CAN be very dangerous, but it isn't in every case. I had no symptoms from my high BP, and no complications. If women could all have dedicated one-to-one care during pregnancy then less women would be diagnosed and treated for things they didn't have.
    Totally agree. I'm glad my OB was ontop of things.

Like you say high BP is often nothing, but also not something to take lightly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12