Thread: Regular contractions but not painful

Default Regular contractions but not painful

Last night I was having contractions about every 13 minutes. They were uncomfortable but not painful I would say 5 on a scale of 1 - 10. I decided at about 11 to go to bed and see what happens and after waking up a few times to go to the loo it's now morning and no contractions.

Can anyone tell me what was happening last night? Can Braxton Hicks be regular? I'm worried about when to go into hospital as i'm having a VBAC and my first birth was only 2.5 hours. Should I have gone in last night when they were regular?

Thanks

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

It's best to go in when you don't feel safe being at home anymore - i.e. you are worried to make it to hospital. If you can sleep through the contractions or not sure you should go in, I wouldn't go in until you are sure. Staying home as long as you can in labour has huge benefits. Contractions should be getting longer, stronger and closer together and not stop or slow down to be labour. Have you read the early labour article in the birth section? www.bellybelly.com.au/articles/birth
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

My BH were regular , sometimes coming every 5 mins or so from about 38 weeks. Won't be long now, you poor thing. Hugs.

Rachel - I had a really odd labour that stopped and started for a couple of days after my waters broke. It was really strange, and actually I thought I had a while to go yet (except for the fact my hindwaters had broken).
    Have a read of my birth story, I've just posted it, and you'll see that when it did finally happen, it was all pretty quick. Especially the last bit of dilation.

One thing that really worked for me was nipple stimulation. Pinch and squeeze the nipple for 1min, then rest for 3-4mins, then try the other side. Keep going for as long as you need to, but to be honest after about 15mins, I was having contractions hot and heavy until my concentration was broken again.

Have a lie down and relax, I was told to visualise a circle.
    And to be really honest - my contractions were about a 7 until the last hour or so of labour. So the level of pain might not be a good indicator. It might just mean that you are too busy to think about it all!!! Specially running around after a couple of littlies

Good luck - I hope something happens for you soon.

I had regular contractions too which at the time, I took to be BH. They intensified as the due date approached ... more of them for longer each day and at fairly regular intervals. At night, they were quite strong and I was fairly sure I would go into labour soon. In the morning they were gone so I understand your frustration. Sorry I can't advise much more on the progression to true labour as I had a caesarean in the end.

Edited to add, I just asked what was different about the last couple of times you had a baby and then noticed that you were doing a VBAC. Stupid me. Best of luck!
    Last edited by Melbo; January 5th, 2007 at 10:28 AM.

I had contractions on and off for 48hrs before my actual labour started. Being my first I was unsure about it all and rang the hospital. Thats what I recommend you do they'll ask you questions and tell you whether to come in or not.

Thanks everyone. Kelly, I read the article and it was really helpful, thanks.

I don't want to relax though - then it feels like it's all I can think about. I want to keep busy and so things but I know i'll regret it if I get tired in labour.

Oh well, I guess i'll go put the kettle on and watch some tv!

Rachel, don't be so busy that your body stops you from going into labour.

More than likely you will find your contractions will start again tonight when all is quiet and you are relaxed or even asleep. This is how our bodies are programmed.

Good luck hun. I hope all goes well for you

Rachel, my first labour was quick and second time I had painful BH so was worried I wouldn't recognise labour. In the end I did, but only purely on instinct, and just as well I did as the labour was only 3 hours and I didn't make it to the hossy with much time to spare. My contractions were slightly stronger than BH and didn't stop when I rested. But they weren't any more regular than the BH and they didn't get closer, more regular or stronger until after I was at hossy (and I was already 5cms then and birthed about an hour later). So the only advice I can give you is go with your gut. Somehow I knew that this was different, hopefully that will happen for you too!