thread: Resting vs being active in labour

Follow Pandora On Twitter

Jan 2005
    cowtown

Resting vs being active in labour

So I know its best to be as active as possible, how does this weight up against the conflicting advice that I get to "rest as much as possible"

I was induced with DS, so didnt experience a lot in the way of pre labour - so is it that I want to be moving arond once I'm in active labour, but rest up until then?

Im confused!

Dec 2005
    In Bankworld with Barbara

I would try to rest as much as you can while you are still in the niggly stages and then once things are really established get stuck into the active part. The niggly stage could last for days and you don't want to be completely knackered before you even start.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Feb 2006
    South Eastern Suburbs, Vic

I rested until I couldn't anymore. I stayed in bed, and there was a point where I was like 'I HAVE to get up'. I think Trill's advice is spot on, when you realise 'this is definitely it', then you can try to keep moving then - many people are active instinctively.

Follow Pandora On Twitter

Jan 2005
    cowtown

The main reason I ask, is because with DS, I was sctive from the time I was induced, and it was another 11 hours before i was in established labour. And ithink this contributed to the insane leg cramps that i experienced, whic resulted in my being unable to be in any position that on my back as both legs were fully cramped from hip to toe, so I was in a "W" position - this is my main fear this time around and what I am trying to aviod the most

BellyBelly Member

Mar 2006
    Getting to know Brisbane all over again

I had A LOT of pre labour and so I set myself a rule considering what time of day it was. if it was early - mid morning and the contrax started coming I would go for a walk, get on the fit ball, shower etc if it was afternoon I would take it easy, mve when I got the urge but otherwise resting, showering doing slow circles on the fitball for comfort and on the bean bag on my tummy.

Having said that I have short labours 5hrs with DS and 3 with DD from start to finish so both of my labours have been very active as they have been full on from the get go once the contrax are established.

Oct 2005
    A Nestle Free Zone... What about YOU?

When you are sure this is "IT" - that's the time to be active. Active labours mean just that. Walking, squatting, hip swivelling, dancing - feet stomping. ACTIVE! If you begin to contract in the night. Try to sleep - until you are sure and you can sleep no more. Then get to the business of birthing.

If you can sleep through a contraction - it's not time to be active... Just as a rule of thumb.

Feb 2009

I always remember my active phase as the time I would stop for a minute and have to re-convince myself to move because I knew it would cause another contraction and dammit - they hurt!

Before that, I wasn't laying down but I had my feet up until I was in the "super ouchy stage".

Apr 2007
    Inner South East suburbs Melbourne

So I know its best to be as active as possible, how does this weight up against the conflicting advice that I get to "rest as much as possible"

I was induced with DS, so didnt experience a lot in the way of pre labour - so is it that I want to be moving arond once I'm in active labour, but rest up until then?

Im confused!
    I think the answer is, "it depends". As others have said, if it is prelabour, or the very early stages, the temptation is to "get things going". However, you don't know how long things are going to go for... and if you are truly in labour, resting won't make it go away. So I'm not a great advocate for the flurry of natural labour inducing things in the last week during lots of prodromal labour because from what I've seen, it leads to a lot of discomfort, not much forward momentum, and an exhausted and frustrated mum!! Things will ramp up when they are ready.

Also, during active labour, sometimes you just need to stop and gather your breath. Between the first stage and transition, there's often a bit of a lull, and i've noticed this with both inductions and spontaneous labour. Contractions space out, there's a bit of breathing space... and I've learned to use that to sit back, take some space and stop frantically trying to birth Then transition hits and that little space of rest can be wonderful for refreshing you to deal with it.

Wow you're thirty five weeks already!! And I'm 37! Not long for either of us now!!

Nov 2006

i was induced due to prom. they broke at 9:30pm and we trapsed up to the hosp etc only to be out to bed. If i'd know i would have tried to sleep more but i thought i was going to be on bedrest.

From when the drugs kicked in was pretty active. sitting on the ball walking etc. had a quick nap in the arvo. Only got into bed shortly before i was ready to push.

I was really tired from being awake all night. Which affected my mood and ability to be active. So i would go with resting until you are sure it's time and then being active. And i would be inclined to rest if it was night as you will get more attention and support at the hosp during the day so it's would be better to 'save' most of the labour till normal day hours. It sounds dumb but no on reeally checked on me from about 11pm until the ob arrived at 7am. I think they came in once.

BellyBelly Market Place Member

Jul 2007
    Margaret River

go with what feels right for you at the time

Mar 2009

I agree with doing whatever feels right for you! My midwife was constantly trying to get me up and active but I just wanted to lay down and doze off in between contractions. I think I did the right thing by listening to my own instincts as I ended up with a drug free birth and no cuts, tears, grazes or stitches!

Just do what your body is telling you to, it knows best

BellyBelly Member

Dec 2005

i agree do what feels right. the other thing i was going to suggest for the times when you want a rest is to slightly lean forward over a fit ball, bean bag, edge of the bed etc so that you are still using gravity but not having to walk or move around.