Thread: Right to Refuse...

Default Right to Refuse...

Just wondering what my rights are to refuse the care of one particular Ob, in a public hospital...

I had an extremely bad experience with him, and am worried that he will be there when I am labouring. He said that as I have GD I had to have a 'medical' labour/birth, that I would be lying on the bed when it's pushing time, and that I would more than likey end up with a c/s if I'm induced, which I most prob will be due to GD.

I want to try and avoid being induced unless bub's is huge, and I want an active labour no matter what. Obviously if I need a c/s I will have one, but I would like to try and avoid it.

What would the hospital do if I didn't want him... would they have to call in someone else. It's a small country hospital, so only one Dr on call usually, Nurses and m/w look after everything else.

Can the m/w's do all the inducing?

Thanks

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I know women who have rung the hospital in andvance and had public Obs put on their notes as being 'no-go's - there is more than one doctor available to you. So just speak to the midwives, you could even ring the hospital now and tell them you don't want to be under his care due to a bad experience. I am sure they will be fine.

I posted an article about induction and GD in the GD forum, not sure if you have seen it, also there is an induction article on the main site which includes a midwife's account of what was deemed big and induced, but was actaully close to cut off for NICU when finally born.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Thanks Kelly... I have read a couple of your articles.. I will have a look to make sure I have read them all!!

I think I will talk to the m/w tomorrow at my appt. about him...

Thanks again!

Definately Mel. I have put a request in with my midwives for a particular OB if needed. I had an appointment with one who had her first birth as a c/s and second as a VBAC, so she knew what I wanted & why immediately. I also have an OB on a no list from when I was pregnant last time.

I was assigned an atrocious midwife for my induction last year, and after about 20mins of not being able to relax, my mum went to the midwife in charge and asked for a change. I was accomodated very well.
    I would suggest you talk to the midwives about it - if nothing else they will more than likely give you a "better" midwife if there is no choice re the OB, to compensate. Does that make sense?
    So even though you are public, you should have a right to state your preference, particularly if you have had unpleasant experiences in the past.
    I'm sure the midwives have met similar requests and know exactly how to handle it.

Thanks heaps... I saw another ob today (he is new at the hospital) and he was SOOOOOOO nice... so atleast I have a two in three chance of having a good ob that I trust!!!

That's great Mel, you definitely have the right to express your wish of not having someone present be it OB or midwife, the only problem with the public system is that it depends on who is rostered that night. The larger hospitals usually have more than one available OB but smaller hospitals may not - definitely speak to the hospital to find out your rights and what to do if that particular OB is on that night.