Thread: RWH Birth Centre? Jillian?

Cool RWH Birth Centre? Jillian?

Hey Guys,

Just after some advice on the RWH birthing centre.

I dont know anything about it. Is it public? Bulk billed?

Is it the same docs who deliver in the actual hospital?

Any info would be great

oh sorry i got confused! oops!

Hi Danni, the RWH FBC is midwife run. The only time I saw the Ob was at the 36 week (?) visit and then he did less than the midwives. It did not cost me anything, except that parking costs a fortune in that area.

If you are considering the FBC I do recommend that you still maybe get your own Douala, whilst the midwives are lovely, they do work in shifts, so for a longer labour they will change. I was moved out of the FBC due to complications, so it would have been nice to have someone else come with me other than DH (who was exhausted by that time) to have supported me.

The FBC does have strict polices on entry and staying, I almost missed out due to my weight, even though they did not even weigh me, I was only weighed at the normal 12wk appointment through the normal part of the hospital.

I have just found this info from their brochure:
    The Family Birth Centre is ideal for women who have a normal, healthy pregnancy. You will be assessed and given the opportunity to discuss your care and birthing preferences with our midwives. An obstetrician will also talk to you about whether the centre is suitable for you.
    If complications occur during your pregnancy you may be referred to the hospitalís doctors for your ongoing care in the antenatal clinic.
    This service is provided by the public health care system and is covered by Medicare.

There is another thread here about the RWH, including the FBC http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...ead.php?t=6975

astrid thanks heaps! I will definitely be getting a doula.

Do you mind me asking, how heavy is too heavy for them? You can pm me if you prefer. Thats what im worried about

I was about 85kg at 12 weeks, and I am 163cm tall, so a BMI of 32. The normal Ob thought I was too big and really nasty about it, but we spoke directly to the FBC and they were fine. I think BMI 35 might have been their cut off, but they never weighed me again, I spent weeks of the pregnancy stressing about putting on too much weight, but I didn't have to worry. It does depend on the midwife what you are told though, one said they can tell by looking if I was putting on too much weight, plus they look at other factors during your pregnancy about whether you can stay with them.

85 cut off????

Im never going to get the active, natural birth that ive dreamt of

They go by BMI, not just weight, so depends on your height. You don't need the FBC to have an active, natural birth at the RWH. Many women who go into labour at the wrong time don't get to give birth there, even though they went there for all their appointments. The rooms are just not as nice that all and often the FBC midwives will also work on the other wards.

Danni, they will normally go by BMI, and its whatever your BMI is at your booking in appointment. Most hospitals are between 35-40.