Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scarred for life: Caesareans heading to dangerous level

Post Scarred for life: Caesareans heading to dangerous level

While browsing tonight I came across this clip.

I thought that I might share it with those that are interested. If the title sounds like it's going to offend you then it probably will.

Scarred for life: Caesareans head to danger level

I am sure that it's ok to post a link to this. But if it's not then please remove and I will try to find a way to explain how to find it.

Far out! You wouldn't want to risk being the 150th mum would you? Puts it into perspective....

Hmmm... not good.
    All i needed was another reason to be terrified of a Caesarian.
    Even more reason for me to be armed with all the knowledge possible for all my future births.
    Thanks for sharing that Trish that was a really informative clip.

Wow it's great to hear interviews with women that have had these serious complications. Make it more realistic than stats on a page. Thanks for sharing Trish!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

No-one need be terrified of c/s it should put things into perspective though. I would go up against all those risks if it meant saving my baby's life. However I wouldn't if my carer didn't have a compelling reason for risking those things. Its about being confident making a decision and trusting those around you and that your carer will only do something if necessary.

I think we should be worried about the effects of c/s and not make it fluffy, it involves life/lives! There's no nice way to say that 1 in 150 women having a c/s will have a very poor outcome. I would rather know this so I can make an informed decision - and everyone else should too. This number would be much lower if we were doing less c/s, at a number recommended by the WHO, not double or more where we currently are. We need to take risks seriously.

I hope with all my heart I never have a c/s.... but if I need one to save my baby's life I will be at peace with that decision. I am not terrified... just pleased that I am informed to make good choices to put me in a position of least likelyhood of intervention and/or c/s.

Anyhoo, off to bed, just got home from an amazing birth which has me bouncing off the walls (as much as you can with your eyeballs hanging out!).
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Glad that you all got something out of it girls.

My intention isn't to scare people either. Rather to help inform them.

Hope you got a decent nights sleep Kelly

ETA, oops, just saw what time you posted Kelly. Guessing it won't be a decent sleep, or night time even

LOL Trish - go to bed Kelly!

I've had two c/s... both due to medical complications... crikey I better be informed if I have another one!

Wow.

So what's the % increase of medically-evoked c/s to the % of elective c/s?
    this confuses me somewhat. If they are so concerneed with health effects, why do the doctors agree to perform elective c/s with no medical basis? (given that many of them would refuse VBAC's, etc as a matter of "high-risk") Why do they not apply to same logic and make it harder for women with no medical reason to have a c/s?
    (Im just curious, not trying to be offensive)

paradise lost Guest

Alexis i think the problem is that they tell the MUM she has enough problems to NEED a c/s and then put it in the stats as elective. My friend just had an "elective" because she nearly died after her first birth (vaginal, forceps, massive haematoma, 3 operations, 15 units of blood needed over 3 days) and he said she was "risking her life" to try for vaginal (glossing over that fact that it was the FORCEPS, not the baby, which caused the initial damage). Her notes said "elective c-section, previous trauma, query CPD" which is a joke since her first baby was 6lbs, had a 34cm head and CAME OUT of her vagina! He was posterior and she'd had an epi and couldn't move and he got stuck at a funny angle - such a common story really. Anyway, from her POV there was no way she should have a VBAC, but he put "elective" on her notes to cover his bum, because 90% of "emergency" c-sections in the UK have been found to be performed between 9am and 4pm monday to thursday and people are beginning to question that.

So basically i think that the obs are not informing the women and many "elective" c-sections were not at ALL elective from the woman's POV. As many obs will say - "the only c-section i got sued for was the one i didn't do". There is a perception in society and in courts that the MOST and BEST a doctor can do is a section, so they are quick to cut. It's as simple as that.

Bx

Exactly Hoobley. When there aren't options given to the mother, when c/s is presented as the only choice... thats when there is a problem. I've heard women given reasons for repeat c/s which are just atrocious in my eyes, but the women is quite happy to repeat the c/s as she hasn't been given the risks associated with repeat c/s, only the risks associated with VBAC.

My hospital gave me a list to sign saying they showed me risks of repeat c/s which they gave me 5 minutes to read at 12 weeks PG and then never showed me it again. They never mentioned those risks again and if I hadn't read about it, I would never have known. I couldn't remember that...

Thanks Hoobley - makes sense.

I suppose I just dont understand why the c/s option is given as an option for the "just because" reason if it is so dangerous. How can it be presented as being on par wit antural birth by th edoctors if it is so dangerous?
    I was terrified having mine so I just cant fathom how anyone would do that by choice because (as GF of mine said) the c/s is the "pain-free" option...I mean clearlythe whole staples in your pubes is not being explained right!! lol

paradise lost Guest

I think that's the point though, even Mr Odent himself concedes that c-section is safe. It's just that normal vaginal birth is safER and works better and has less potential for complications.

Part of the problem is that when people DO sue over medical care during birth a) it is usually due to injury or death because a c-section was NOT done and b) the court looks only at the one operation in question. The court does not compensate or penalise for future potential problems, nor does it address previously-dealt-with operations when the same woman suffers again from a previously-caused problem. The mentality is all skewed because of the threat of litigation and the lack of personal liability.

In the UK you can call the local hospital and they HAVE to tell you their section rate and the individual rates for various Obs. So few people do it though. I did. At a large city teaching hospital the section rate was 38% overall - 58% for first time mums! Thus i stayed at home! It makes sense - how do you learn how to do a section? You observe one...

Since you can sue for inaction and you can sue for incompetence but you CAN'T sue for "fate" (i.e. you already signed a release saying if you bleed to death it's nothing to do with them cutting you open and all...) or for potential repercussions, c-section remains the best option for the Ob to cover himself legally. From that POV a woman wanting a c sec is a gift.

Bx

That is a amssive number, 58% of first time mums!
    Litigation certainly creates more problems than it seems tosolve

Thanks Hoobley

Okay now I am offically scared for life!!!
    I have had a VB then 2 C-sections babies in distress, one just H rate dropping very early in the labour the next after 8 hours labour when she was born she had a groove around her head where she appeared to have been stuck, she weighed 4.5kgs. I also hem requireing 4 bags of blood I wonder do you think this could have been due to a mild case of placenta accreta, nothing was ever mentioned.

I am pregnant again and would love to try again VBAC my OB was reluctant itinally and after my last scan more so, it is showing the placenta is low lying. We have had discussions about having a scan later on to see where the placenta is then and how big the baby might be. I have to say now I am scared either way, I want what is best for my baby and myself and now I am not sure what that may be. If you have placenta attatched to your old scar is it better to have a c-section or is that the only option? I have to say I do understand his concerns I would hate to be the person in his postion and watch as things start to go wrong, but I guess at the end of the day I will take his advice and hope it is'nt just because it is easier and he feels more comfortable going that direction!!!!!
    Thanks for the article more food for thought, sometimes I am not sure that information is power though, because I have to say I feel a lot more concerned for myself and my baby now than I did before>

God - ive been lucky then...this is just the biggest eye opener.

I had no choice with my c/s. I have a twisted pelvis that doesnt allow me to go al ah nataral. I tried with Nikolaus for 21 hours until they finally discovered he was stuck and my pelvis was badly twisted (Work place injury). I have always begged to give birth naturally and have been told no as it wouldnt work????
    Mateuaz was my fourth c/s and I had to fight to get my tubes removed this time round. There is defently no way I would want another c/s after watching that!

I know it isn't easy to hear information like this when you have no choice BUT to have a c/s, and that's fine - there will always be a need for them, but we have to educate the first time mums and stop them from making a possibly life-threatening decision because more often than not once women have that first c/s, they will only ever have surgical births. Our here in particular the manta of pg women is still 'once a caesar always a caesar' and dont realise they have the option for a vaginal birth because they aren't told they have that option. Coupled with family and friends who just don't understand and tell them just to go for the surgery because its easier/safer/more comvenient because "you get to choose baby's birthday" it's no wonder that women are *happy* to keep having them.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Yeah thats something thats often mentioned in the pro's and con's of c/s in the media and on the web, a pro being you can choose baby's birth date, and it's convenient for work/partners etc. I see the point of doing pro's and con's but thats a bit of a worry when it comes to something like this.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I think its abit of playing god to an extent to. I know its convenient ect...but its so nice to have a surprise and have your waters break adn know that your baby is coming when due. Vyolett was my surprise baby...she came a week early (before her booked c/s date), my waters broke as I was being pushing into theater and I was begging and crying for them to let me go natural. I jsut htink its a shame that so many woman think its a great idea to have a c/s, even reading the dangers dont sink in until you hear someone actually verbually speak them out loud

trish - thank you for sharing this with us all, I hope it atleast helps one mum to be

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast