Thread: Are second labours necessarily shorter?

Default Are second labours necessarily shorter?

Hey guys,
    Well the worry wart that i am seems i always have to find something to worry about LOL!

With my first labour i was sitting having a late dinner with DH and whammo my contractions started and were 5 mins apart within an hour they were 3 mins and when we got to the hospital i was 8cm dilated. All in all the labour took 4 hours 20 mins from start to finish.

This time around we will obviously have to call mum and dad (who live about 20 mins away) to come over to mind hendrix then mum is going to attend the labour with DH. The birthing centre is about 5-10 mins away. So the thing im fretting over is what happens if it all happens so quickly and no one makes it??

How long were your subsequent labours in comparison to your first?

Ta
    xx

angelfish Guest

No, they are not necessarily shorter, just shorter on average. So yes, you might have a super quick labour, but then again it might be the same or longer. But remember that generally fast labour = uncomplicated labour, so it is extremely unlikely that anything could go wrong in the 10 minutes or however long it takes. And if nobody makes it before th birth, all you'd need to do is keep your baby warm and wait until they arrive.

Olivia's labour was 7 hours. Charlie's labour was 2 hours. Lexie's labour was only 30 mins, and we very nearly didn't make it to the hospital.

IF (a big if) we go again, I will either camp out at the hosptial before hand, or go for a homebirth.........

All that said, it is all avaerages, and every pregnancy is different...................I guess all you can so is listen to your body, have everyone on red alert, and be prepared......

Fire Fly Guest

My 2 labours got shorter. #1DD started mild contractions at 10am Sat and she was born at 1.35am.
    #2 DS started mild contractions at 7.30pm and he was born at 4.36am. Actually delivery for him was 6 minutes apparently. That was quick.

Doesnt it depend how firm you are inside again from previouse pgncy? Thats what holds it all so when the time comes, if there isnt much muscle to hold bub back then look out. Correct me if im wrong. Sounds logical that all.

I can totally understand your apprehension (s) about it all. Is there any chance your mother could come stay with you when you are nearly full term. Just a thought. Your Dh may want to throttle me for that suggestion .

Thanks for your replies! I suppose the thing i have to find out is whether the birthing centre is ok with taking along children if its a sudden onset and no one has arrived yet?

Kerrie LOL at DH throttling you! I think he would be ok with it but i should ask shouldnt i?? hehe

Hi

You could always have your parents collect hendrix from the birth centre..or have another friend who lives closer to you available to mind him until your parents arrive..

My 1st labour was 1 1/2 however the 2nd labour was longer at 2 1/2 hours .. my 2ns child was almost 1 kilo heavier than my 1st and he was posterior until he turned so i think that made a huge difference in the time.

all the best for a healthy pregnancy !

Active labour for my first was 9.5 hours. Active labour for my 2nd was 14.5 hours. But my 2nd was posterior so that makes a difference. Hopefully in a few days I can let you know what the 3rd was like.

My first was 7.5 hours and second was 3 hours. Tom also arrived 3.5 weeks early so threw our plans out. We had to take Jack to hosp and get a friend to pick him up. However a friend of mine had a 3 hour labour then another 3 hour labour so if you've had a quick one already it might not get quicker. Then again it might!! Best to be prepared I guess LOL!!

Heather, my first labour was 31 hours and my second 5 hours. They were so totally different. I hope when #3 comes it's more like Blake's labour than Viv's.

My second labout was longer, bub wouldn't move down she was soo far up that they could only just reach her. I kept saying the whole labour that I thought second labour were s'pose to be shorter and the midwives just laughed. Apparently it's common for subsequent labours for the baby not to move down till last minute.

I can remember posting the same sort of question a couple of months ago

My first labour was spontaneous and approx 6 hours from first contraction to delivery and my second labour was induced (overdue) and was 2 hours from when my waters were broken to delivery.

I agree with whoever said to have a backup plan just incase.

All the best with everything I hope it is faster for you. It's sooo much better.

Cheers