Thread: Second time easier than the First?

mizzsocial Guest

Default Second time easier than the First?

Having my son was soooooooo painful and hard!! Not to mention he was 9.5 pound! 4.25kg!

I pushed for 3 hours, and then needed to have an episonomy (cant spell) and forceps delivery..
    Recovery was also horrible coz i literally had stitches what felt like Everywhere!!!!

My question is, did you find your second Labor, easier than your first?

mooshie Guest

mizzsocial

my first dd was a very similar experience to you ds by the sounds of it, i was induced (drip) pethadine, vomiting, pushing for nearly 3hrs, episiotomy and also forceps delivery she was 8lb 8oz - around a 12hr labour all up

my ds 21mths later was 8lb 91/2oz and started at home with mild contractions got to the hospital and he was born 3hrs after i arrived, no drugs - just a really long shower for about 2hrs lmao - oh i did need stitches for him to a quite alot - mainly because the cord was wrapped around his neck 3 times and the ob had to slip it over his head before the rest of his body was born - OUCH, but all up the labour from very first twinge was 7hrs and soooooooo much easier.

try not to dwell on what happened last time as chances are it won't be like that next time - every labour is so very different.

Oh not sure wether to answer this or not.

First pregnancy, I went into labor and didn't know, walked into hospital at7cms and had a pain on the side and that's it, 4 hrs later with gas and pethadiene and a swift kick to the doctor's head and shoulder DD was born.

Bloody 2nd took 14 hours, but I had contractions one on top of another for the whole time, next time I'll stay at home, plus I'll have Kelly(bb) with me, so she'll know EVERYTHING. LOL hopefully

Sorry if I scared you.

Pietta Guest

I am hoping second is better too- mind you couldnt be worse than Ryley's birth

OK, it's easy to get in a state about this, because you know what labour will be like, but on the other hand, because you know what it is like, you can make better choices for yourself during it. (which is what I did). When labour started with Erin, My first thought was 'What the bloody hell am I doing this again for' until things settled into a rythym. I got in 'tune' with what my body was doing alot easier and things progressed much quicker. I was more prepared for 2nd stage and worked with my body better.
    One thing though, the second stage of labour is usually so much quicker than it was for #1. I had to push Lindsay for 1.5hrs, and Erin was 15mins! (she was nearly born on the toilet )Paige was only 1/2 an hour cause her rugby player sized shoulders got stuck and had to be manipulated!
    But keep your mind prepared for whatever possibility can happen.

My second labour was different as it took 20 hours to get established then it was all over in 2, as opposed to 9 hours in total with my first.

I refused to lay on my back like I did for my first, and ended up birthing Angus up on all 4's propped up with pillows. He came out a lot quicker as I guess I'd already been stretched, but I'm sure gravity helped too.

It was easier as it wasn't as long in the pushing stage, but the contractions were stronger.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

First births are often slower and longer, second births are often babies born in the bath, at the doorstep or in the carpark LOL! Third baby is a baby of mystery and can be like the first or the second. This is what my birth teacher finds and I am finding as things go on!

Second births are definitely different to the first, I personally found it less stressful as I knew it was all normal, I was prepared for how the pain could be, but was relieved when it wasn't, however I was augmented with a drip the first time, so a huge difference.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

My first birth was 12 hours, second one 2 hours. Much much more easy the second time, but at least one million times more painful. Would say it was just because so much more intense. Can't say which one I preferred. xo

It would have been more painful because you dilated so quickly. Second babies are often in a rush!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I know you probably dont want to hear this at all ...

but my first was my easiest!!! Emma's labour was 7hrs and 41 mins from start to finish. I was induced due to high BP and had to have a ventouse extraction as every time I pushed my BP woudl shoot through the roof!!! 9lbs 7ozs & 54cms

Jack was 13 1/3 hrs before they decided on an emergency c-section. He was bigger and MUCH longer than Emma 9lbs 8 1/2ozs & 57cms.

I had an elective c-section with Asha ... my OB told me she would be about the same size as my other two babies and due to the previous c-section I decided to go with this option ... 7lbs & 48cms ... they were so wrong!!!

Cheers

I guess it's all hard to know exactly with such a wide range of experiences - it also depends on your labour. Active labours are known to be shorter and more productive labours, women often beautifully birth larger babies, even 10-11lbrs and even sometimes without tearing. I often watch the birth shows on foxtel and cringe - all those women have so many interventions, slow labours, babies in bad positions etc because they are all flat on their backs in bed, an optimal position to tear also and against gravity. They also often have heaps of "support" people in the room which all seem to not have seen birth before and just be there to watch. No wonder the labours are longer and more painful. Like Alan said, I would love to see birthing rooms without beds
    Kelly xx